[Q] Battery calibration - Placebo or godsend?

OP prowlingfox

10th January 2014, 05:48 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 140

617 posts
Hi guys -

So I saw in one of the 4.4 ROM threads that someone had used the Battery Calibration app from the Play Store and they claimed it seriously helped their battery life on the geespr. I decided to look at the app in the Store, and I started reading the reviews. I'm perplexed - - many people gave five star reviews claiming it significantly improved their battery life, while others said it did nothing, and a few even said it made their battery WORSE. Then there's the few who have said that wiping the battery stats file (the function that the app fulfills) can't possibly make a difference to your battery life because it only affects how Android reports the battery info. Still further, some say that the battery stats are ALREADY wiped when you flash a new ROM or even just unplug your charger.

So how about it, guys? Can we get a definitive answer about this? Surely our talented devs know the truth?
10th January 2014, 06:17 PM   |  #2  
Flag Pittsburgh
Thanks Meter: 405

544 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by prowlingfox

Hi guys -

So I saw in one of the 4.4 ROM threads that someone had used the Battery Calibration app from the Play Store and they claimed it seriously helped their battery life on the geespr. I decided to look at the app in the Store, and I started reading the reviews. I'm perplexed - - many people gave five star reviews claiming it significantly improved their battery life, while others said it did nothing, and a few even said it made their battery WORSE. Then there's the few who have said that wiping the battery stats file (the function that the app fulfills) can't possibly make a difference to your battery life because it only affects how Android reports the battery info. Still further, some say that the battery stats are ALREADY wiped when you flash a new ROM or even just unplug your charger.

So how about it, guys? Can we get a definitive answer about this? Surely our talented devs know the truth?

I've been confused by the same thing. I usually recommend doing it when switching between roms. While I can't give you a definite answer, I have also read that wiping the batterystats.bin file does nothing. This thread here says it does absolutely nothing and explains why. That being said, I am one of the people who have noticed significant increases in battery performance from it - which is why I recommend it. Apparently it shouldn't work though! So now the real question is, why the hell did my battery performance increase to such a high degree afterwards, if it does nothing? I didn't use the app, I just deleted the file once my phone hit 100%.

That thread I posted states it is clearly a placebo, and is even backed up by google. It won't hurt so I still do it because like I said Ive noticed an increase. Now Im completely unsure as to why that increase has taken place.

The app also says to let your phone drain to 0% and then recharge uninterrupted back to 100%. It says that it isn't necessary but helpful. Now this could help your battery IF it was a nickel based battery. Since ours in Lithium based, it can actually hurt performance and shorten your batteries life span.
Last edited by HPTesla; 10th January 2014 at 06:21 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to HPTesla For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th January 2014, 06:20 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

617 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPTesla

Apparently it shouldn't work though! So now the real question is, why the hell did my battery performance increase to such a high degree afterwards, if it does nothing?

This is a real conundrum :\ and it's going to bug the heck out of me.
The Following User Says Thank You to prowlingfox For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th January 2014, 06:24 PM   |  #4  
Flag Pittsburgh

544 posts
More
Quote:

This is a real conundrum :\ and it's going to bug the heck out of me.

Yeah, it appears as if it is simply a placebo. That thread is clear on what that file does and it shouldn't affect performance. Perhaps my increases happened because of changes in charging that just happened to coincide with wiping that file? What I do know is that I was regularly getting 15 hours or so with moderate use. Afterwards it doubled. The longest this battery has lasted for me was a little over 30 hours on a full charge.
10th January 2014, 06:28 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

617 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPTesla

Yeah, it appears as if it is simply a placebo. That thread is clear on what that file does and it shouldn't affect performance. Perhaps my increases happened because of changes in charging that just happened to coincide with wiping that file? What I do know is that I was regularly getting 15 hours or so with moderate use. Afterwards it doubled. The longest this battery has lasted for me was a little over 30 hours on a full charge.

It must just be a combination of factors then...which would explain why some people say it helps and some people say it hurts. Seems there's no real clear trend. Thanks for your replies
The Following User Says Thank You to prowlingfox For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th January 2014, 06:35 PM   |  #6  
Flag Pittsburgh

544 posts
More
Quote:

It must just be a combination of factors then...which would explain why some people say it helps and some people say it hurts. Seems there's no real clear trend. Thanks for your replies

Eh, no problem, thanks for asking. I've been telling people false info based on misguided observations - and that's never good.
11th January 2014, 03:50 AM   |  #7  
Flag Miami
Thanks Meter: 1,621

1,674 posts
Donate to Me
More
It works for me. I used to get like 11 hour with 3 hr screen time, and now I get 13

Sent from my LG-LS970 using xda app-developers app

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
battery, battery calibration, battery life, battery stats
Previous Thread Next Thread