Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] T-Mo Warranty/Knox questions:

OP thisnamestoolong

11th January 2014, 04:49 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

18 posts
I am thinking about switching to T-Mobile, and am very interested in the Galaxy S4, due to it being the only major flagship in the form factor I am looking for with a removable battery and SD slot. Unfortunately, everything about Touchwiz makes me want to vomit, so running stock is not even remotely an option for me. My questions are as follows:

1) Is there any way to get T-Mo to give me a phone that has not yet received the 4.3 update, so as to avoid Knox altogether?
2) If this is not possible, how stringent is T-Mo about checking and enforcing the Knox counter for obviously unrelated hardware warranty issues?
3a) Worst case scenario, what is the insurance deductible for this phone?
3b) If a warranty claim is denied, would I still be able to make an insurance claim?
3c) How long will it likely take to have a new phone in my hand were I to make an insurance claim?

EDIT: Forgot to add one bit:

4) The VZW GS3 that I currently have is running CM11, and the flash counter has been tripped. Should I TriangleAway/relock/flash stock/unroot before giving it to T-Mo for a trade-in, or is it fine as is?
Last edited by thisnamestoolong; 11th January 2014 at 04:55 AM.
11th January 2014, 05:56 AM   |  #2  
Flag Houston
Thanks Meter: 853

2,512 posts
More
Well I'm new to the s4 but for your first question, I ordered my s4 online on Tuesday, got it today and it came with 4.2.2

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
11th January 2014, 06:09 AM   |  #3  
Flag Chi-Town!!
Thanks Meter: 99

366 posts
Donate to Me
More
Talking
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisnamestoolong

I am thinking about switching to T-Mobile, and am very interested in the Galaxy S4, due to it being the only major flagship in the form factor I am looking for with a removable battery and SD slot. Unfortunately, everything about Touchwiz makes me want to vomit, so running stock is not even remotely an option for me. My questions are as follows:

1) Is there any way to get T-Mo to give me a phone that has not yet received the 4.3 update, so as to avoid Knox altogether?
2) If this is not possible, how stringent is T-Mo about checking and enforcing the Knox counter for obviously unrelated hardware warranty issues?
3b) If a warranty claim is denied, would I still be able to make an insurance claim?
3c) How long will it likely take to have a new phone in my hand were I to make an insurance claim?

4) The VZW GS3 that I currently have is running CM11, and the flash counter has been tripped. Should I TriangleAway/relock/flash stock/unroot before giving it to T-Mo for a trade-in, or is it fine as is?

1.- there's no for sure way to approach this it's a gamble, but I would guess that since u will be getting a brand new phone it will most likely come with the 4.2.2 but like I said it's a gamble, since T-mo reps cant open every box to find u a not updated phone

2.- I have exchanged phones with the flash counter triggered, ( NOT THE KNOX COUNTER THE OLDER VERSION) a t-mo rep never checked for that. They are more concerned about water damage than anything else.

3a- My deductible is $150 I would think it's the same all over.

3b.- yes u can always do a a insurance claim, I've done it.

3c it everything goes smoothly u will get a phone with in 24hrs... worse cases 48hrs.

4.- I would flash stock if I was you, no carrier likes it when people messes with their own devices LOL, but seriously flash stock and if u want do the triangle away while u at it.

I hope you enjoy your stay with t-mo, as much as at least I am!!!
11th January 2014, 09:03 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 38

332 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisnamestoolong

I bought my S4 brand new at full price..it's been a lil over a week now, It came with 4.2.2 out of the box.
I have yet to root or do anything to it, though I'd like to be running 4.3 and have apps to sd ability. and still maintain the 4.2.2 bootloader
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
knox, warranty
Previous Thread Next Thread