5,597,397 Members 30,799 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Miracast and Video Adpaters

Tip us?

Dr Goodvibes
Old
(Last edited by Dr Goodvibes; 14th April 2014 at 10:55 PM.) Reason: Additional Details
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 596
Default Miracast and Video Adpaters

I have purchased a NETGEAR PTV3000 (Push2TV) device.

Device: NETGEAR Push2TV
Firmware: v2.4.26
WiFi: 2.4 & 5GHz 300Mbps 802.11
Standards: Miracast Certified

Device: XPERIA M
Phone Model: C1905
Firmware: 15.1.C.2.8 (Android 4.1.2), 15.4.A.0.23 (Android 4.3)

NETGEAR PTV3000 provides miracast(wireless) connection to an HDMI audio/video device.

The PTV3000 consists of an HDMI port and a mini-USB power port.
There is a reset button and a Push2TV side button.

One can connect to the PTV3000 for firmware upgrades, but there is no further configuration (that I know of) beyond that.

I used the following test output devices:

• Sony Bravia HDTV with PTV3000 connected via a 4 port HDMI switch (Limited HDMI ports available on TV)
• Dell 24" Full-HD IPS monitor using a HDMI port

An XPERIA M (C1905) can pair and connect to the PTV3000 easily from the Settings -> Xperia menu

There is some lag when streaming 576i TV to a Full-HD IPS monitor, but still very watchable.
To be fair, the WiFi is doing 'double' the workload in this setup.
• Stream 576i TV to the phone via 5GHz 150Mbps WiFi.
• Output audio/video to the Full-HD Monitor, again via WiFi.
Audio is passed via Miracast and is only heard at the end HDMI display device.

Any display/audio settings are changed/managed on the XPERIA M.

Streaming a video or viewing a picture is very acceptable, but the Android UI can look a bit ragged due to the resizing of the 480x854 screen.

One VERY good thing about this whole setup is that I was able to connect to the Internet via WiFi(5GHz in my case) while at the same time having video/audio steamed to the output display.

I was able to add a USB Logitech Unifying adapter which supports a Keyboard and mouse.
This effectively gave me a mini PC setup with monitor,keyboard and mouse.
Using a Bluetooth mouse/keyboard would also allow a USB power adapter to be connected.

Watch out for excessive heat if power is connected while using Miracast as the phone will get very hot..

Overall I'm very happy with the display on the output monitor and the general functionality.

fernandogtg
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Wifi direct 5ghz?

Does anybody knows if i use wi fi direct with 5ghz , intead of 2.4 ghz, could it reduce the lag while playing fast games like need for speed?

I have a MOTO X, so the only way to see the phine screen on tv is wifi direct or miracast

Dr Goodvibes
Old
(Last edited by Dr Goodvibes; 11th February 2014 at 01:12 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernandogtg View Post
Does anybody knows if i use wi fi direct with 5ghz , intead of 2.4 ghz, could it reduce the lag while playing fast games like need for speed?

I have a MOTO X, so the only way to see the phine screen on tv is wifi direct or miracast
Yes that's correct.

5GHz in close proximity 3-5m with no walls in the way, will give you a connection speed of 150Mbits on a 40MHz channel and real data throughput up to 109Mbits on an XPERIA M(C1905)
Mostly I observe a real data speed of ~90Mbits
5GHz uses a 40MHz channel width to achieve higher speeds.

2.4GHz only uses a 20MHz channel width and has a maximum connection speed of 72Mbits and a real data throughput of approx. 35Mbits using an XPERIA M(C1905)

So in summary

5GHz is faster at closer ranges.
2.4GHz gives you greater connection distances, but lower data throughput at closer distances.

That said, you have to consider the display is only working within the limits of the Miracast/WiFi-Direct implementation of the TV/device you're connecting to.
So even on 5GHz the WiFi-Direct implementation could be considerably gimp'd.
Many Miracast/WiFi-Direct implementations only support 2.4GHz (TVs etc..)

The Netgear PTV3000 struggles to provide 720p visuals to a TV/Monitor.
I don't see this as optimal in a fast response environment like gaming.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dr Goodvibes For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
miracast, video