Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,116 Members 46,628 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How to tell if battery is defective?

Tip us?

tbaker077
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Default How to tell if battery is defective?

I am within the return period of my G2, but not sure if my battery life is normal or not? I get 3-4 hours screen time on VZW 4G, with sync on and all GPS and NFC related stuff off, running a de-bloated LG rom. All the reviews I have read they getting 6-8 hours of screen time, pretty much twice of what I am getting. Is this normal or do I have a defective devices? I kind of don't want to return as I have a screen protector I got at the same time I got the G2 and hat the store install so that makes transferring the protector harder? If it really is defected, then I must return it, but how can one tell if battery is really defective or actually normal?

On a side note I know people with Galaxy S4 getting similar battery life as me, but I would think that would be expected since the S4 has a smaller battery vs the G2. Thanks.

darkobas
Old
Thanks Meter 563
Check your pvs
dmesg | grep PVS

Sent from my LG-G2 using Tapatalk

revan17
Old
Thanks Meter 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkobas View Post
Check your pvs
dmesg | grep PVS

Sent from my LG-G2 using Tapatalk
What is one looking for with that command? I get the number "1" after running it. Wha does that mean?

jimakos29
Old
Thanks Meter 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaker077 View Post
I am within the return period of my G2, but not sure if my battery life is normal or not? I get 3-4 hours screen time on VZW 4G, with sync on and all GPS and NFC related stuff off, running a de-bloated LG rom. All the reviews I have read they getting 6-8 hours of screen time, pretty much twice of what I am getting. Is this normal or do I have a defective devices? I kind of don't want to return as I have a screen protector I got at the same time I got the G2 and hat the store install so that makes transferring the protector harder? If it really is defected, then I must return it, but how can one tell if battery is really defective or actually normal?

On a side note I know people with Galaxy S4 getting similar battery life as me, but I would think that would be expected since the S4 has a smaller battery vs the G2. Thanks.
Depends on many things and mainly what brightness level u get the screen time u mentioned for. It is normal to get way less screen time with 100% brightness than say with 50% or less brightness. Also u don't mention where u get the said screen time. Is it browsing the net or watching youtube vids for example or playing heavy 3d games? That affects screen time as well. Way too little info u shared here for anyone to be able to really help you...
Hit the thanks button if I helped you...

SKyRocKeting727
Old
Thanks Meter 304
Try disabling sync, Google now, and have it on 50% auto brightness...it has helped me a lot.

Sent from my JEE TWO
-Once you go NOTE, you'd say 4 inches a Joke

chaki-
Old
Thanks Meter 84
The OP has a point. I have seen that the Android System takes almost the half of the battery stamina. And after tracking what exactly it came up that the Radio drains to much battery. I try to find solution or anything but didn't find anything yet.....

Maybe Levi Strauss should sue Apple too. He came up with the single button concept on pants first. Apple copied him...........

HTC - was great
Moto - is good'ish
LG G2- the best phone i had (for now)

vPro97
Old
Thanks Meter 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaki- View Post
The OP has a point. I have seen that the Android System takes almost the half of the battery stamina. And after tracking what exactly it came up that the Radio drains to much battery. I try to find solution or anything but didn't find anything yet.....
How did you figure out it's the radio, bro? I also have a massive android system drain and I don't know what it is.
Please hit the "Thanks" button if you found my post useful !

Optimise the battery life of your LG G2 without root!

chaki-
Old
(Last edited by chaki-; 11th January 2014 at 02:29 PM.)
Thanks Meter 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by vPro97 View Post
How did you figure out it's the radio, bro? I also have a massive android system drain and I don't know what it is.
I used wakelock detector. The app showed me that the most power is gone to the radio.

I can't understand a sh*t. Everything was fine and suddenly it starts to consume power like hell. I disabled play services and all apps except play store. Removed unused apps even those from LG like dictionary etc. Now i am at 87% with 1hr 14min screen time and android system is still with biggest rate of power consume. At least android os is no more second power consumer....... i am goin nuts right now....

Even my SXL after all updates with everything on has less power drain then the G2...and the most consume comes from the screen.

Maybe Levi Strauss should sue Apple too. He came up with the single button concept on pants first. Apple copied him...........

HTC - was great
Moto - is good'ish
LG G2- the best phone i had (for now)

vPro97
Old
Thanks Meter 300
I disabled knock on and I am at 85% with 1h 8 min sot. Android OS is the second highest drain but android system has settled down a bit.

Sent from my LG-D802 using xda app-developers app
Please hit the "Thanks" button if you found my post useful !

Optimise the battery life of your LG G2 without root!