5,595,196 Members 45,301 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Make apps default to floating window?

Tip us?

Rrrracer
Old
(Last edited by Rrrracer; 11th January 2014 at 05:10 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 47
Default Make apps default to floating window?

Is anyone aware of a way to make all (or select) apps default to open in floating window mode instead of full screen?

I just got a Samsung keyboard dock and have set up some shortcuts to open frequently used apps but they open in full screen and I would rather they be in a window. Same with opening from the app drawer.

Thanks!

rtan73
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrracer View Post
Is anyone aware of a way to make all (or select) apps default to open in floating window mode instead of full screen?

I just got a Samsung keyboard dock and have set up some shortcuts to open frequently used apps but they open in full screen and I would rather they be in a window. Same with opening from the app drawer.

Thanks!
It can only be done if your device is rooted. Then you can use Multi window manager (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...iwindowmanager)

Rrrracer
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtan73 View Post
It can only be done if your device is rooted. Then you can use Multi window manager (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...iwindowmanager)
Thanks, yeah I'm using that and it has enabled me to put any app in a window which is great, but if you start one from the app drawer (or more importantly, from a keyboard shortcut) it still comes up full screen and I have to manually window it. I'm trying to get apps to launch in windowed mode by default.

rtan73
Old
(Last edited by rtan73; 11th January 2014 at 07:46 AM.)
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrracer View Post
Thanks, yeah I'm using that and it has enabled me to put any app in a window which is great, but if you start one from the app drawer (or more importantly, from a keyboard shortcut) it still comes up full screen and I have to manually window it. I'm trying to get apps to launch in windowed mode by default.
Don't know of any app that can change the default window mode. Not sure if it's even possible with Android. I think it can only be done on each individual app, which is why it can only be done through shortcuts. Mulit window manager as well as Android itself can not differentiate one app from another. With Windows it can be done by using keywords. Try contacting the developers of Multi window manager to suggest it. You're not the only one who would love that feature.

What sucks is all of this should already be natively part of Android, including multi window. Not sure why it wasn't from the beginning. I'm guessing it used to be a limited memory issue.

I just thought of a possible workaround. You might be able to use "Tasker" and make profiles for individual apps to open a certain way or change the window mode automatically when opened

If you try it let me know what happened..
The Following User Says Thank You to rtan73 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Rrrracer
Old
(Last edited by Rrrracer; 11th January 2014 at 04:49 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtan73 View Post
What sucks is all of this should already be natively part of Android, including multi window. Not sure why it wasn't from the beginning. I'm guessing it used to be a limited memory issue.

I just thought of a possible workaround. You might be able to use "Tasker" and make profiles for individual apps to open a certain way or change the window mode automatically when opened

If you try it let me know what happened..
Yeah, I'm trying to see if I can displace my laptop for most of the things I do to run my business where I usually have a lot of smaller windows open and jump back and forth between them, minimizing when not in use. Apps opening in full screen mess up my flow haha...

I'll hit up the developers of Multi Window and see if they have any suggestions. Tasker... I suppose I could give it a shot; bought it a long time ago but never really delved into it. Something to mess with while watching the playoffs

Thanks for the tips, I'll report back.