5,600,429 Members 32,788 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

"New Approach to get HTC to listen" (OP from hasoon2000)

Tip us?
 
pbergonzi
Old
(Last edited by pbergonzi; 7th January 2014 at 05:31 PM.) Reason: clarity fix typo
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 56
Posts: 146
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: San Pedro
Default "New Approach to get HTC to listen" (OP from hasoon2000)

This [New Approach to get HTC to listen.] thread was OP by hasoon2000, and stickied into Tony Stark's "General sticky."

It is more important now than ever to ask HTC to lend a hand, especially in making some unreleased code available.

Please see the link for the simple instructions.
Thanks,
pbergonzi
Amaze 4G Unlocked Rooted S-off (Juopunutbear) SuperCID 4EXT CM10

This is not haiku.
Nor does it profess to be.
Android in Springtime.
 
pbergonzi
Old
#2  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 56
Posts: 146
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: San Pedro
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergonzi View Post
This [New Approach to get HTC to listen.] thread was OP by hasoon2000, and stickied into Tony Stark's "General sticky."

It is more important now than ever to ask HTC to lend a hand, especially in making some unreleased code available.

Please see the link for the simple instructions.
Thanks,
pbergonzi
I followed the advice, contacting them, and within 12 hours got this reply, and attempted to provide the requested information:

"Dear (pbergonzi),

Thank you for contacting HTC Technical Support.

(pbergonzi), first of all I would like to thank you for being a member of our family of smart mobile devices. In this case, I want to make sure your request is passed along to our proper department. Remember your thoughts are imperative for us to grow as a community. Our goal is always to provide you with top of the line devices as well as a spectacular HTC experience.

In this case, in order to pass this information to the proper department, I will like to know the following:
Carrier
Android version / Software version requesting source code for
Radio Version Note: This is Baseband version on Android devices
Serial Number/MEID/ IMEI/ESN
Software Number

Full Name
Email Address
Contact Number
Mobile Number
Preferred Contact Time
Time Zone
Carrier

I look forward to your reply with the necessary informaiton. Please do not hesitate to contact us through http://www.htc.com/us/contact/email/ or call us at +1-866-449-8358 from (8 Am 1 Am) ET, 7 days a week or you can reply to this email by clicking on the link below.

Thank you for being a member of our HTC community and I wish you a good day!

If this answers your comment or question, please click here to complete the process.
To submit another comment, please click here.
Sincerely,
The HTCDev Team
Want to see what others are saying? Have a question to ask other HTCDev fans?
Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/htcdev
Explore our development resources www.htcdev.com
We are unable to receive replies to this email account. Please visit us at www.htcdev.com if you have any questions or need further assistance."

I can only imagine what would happen if 5 million more of us contacted them.
Amaze 4G Unlocked Rooted S-off (Juopunutbear) SuperCID 4EXT CM10

This is not haiku.
Nor does it profess to be.
Android in Springtime.
 
Odysseus1962
Old
(Last edited by Odysseus1962; 7th January 2014 at 07:43 PM.)
#3  
Odysseus1962's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 339
Posts: 471
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Miami
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergonzi View Post
I followed the advice, contacting them, and within 12 hours got this reply, and attempted to provide the requested information:

"Dear (pbergonzi),

Thank you for contacting HTC Technical Support.

(pbergonzi), first of all I would like to thank you for being a member of our family of smart mobile devices. In this case, I want to make sure your request is passed along to our proper department. Remember your thoughts are imperative for us to grow as a community. Our goal is always to provide you with top of the line devices as well as a spectacular HTC experience.

In this case, in order to pass this information to the proper department, I will like to know the following:
• Carrier
• Android version / Software version requesting source code for
• Radio Version Note: This is Baseband version on Android devices
• Serial Number/MEID/ IMEI/ESN
• Software Number

• Full Name
• Email Address
• Contact Number
• Mobile Number
• Preferred Contact Time
• Time Zone
• Carrier

I look forward to your reply with the necessary informaiton. Please do not hesitate to contact us through http://www.htc.com/us/contact/email/ or call us at +1-866-449-8358 from (8 Am – 1 Am) ET, 7 days a week or you can reply to this email by clicking on the link below.

Thank you for being a member of our HTC community and I wish you a good day!

If this answers your comment or question, please click here to complete the process.
To submit another comment, please click here.
Sincerely,
The HTCDev Team
Want to see what others are saying? Have a question to ask other HTCDev fans?
Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/htcdev
Explore our development resources www.htcdev.com
We are unable to receive replies to this email account. Please visit us at www.htcdev.com if you have any questions or need further assistance."

I can only imagine what would happen if 5 million more of us contacted them.
I hate to rain on your parade, but you're referencing a nearly two year old post that was made at a time when HTC wasn't unlocking devices or providing source code for them. Tens of thousands did write letters and signed several online petitions, the most famous of which was at change.org. HTC eventually did bow to pressure and provided the means to unlock boot-loaders and released the source code. It's why we and other HTC owners can run different kernels and ROMs now, without jumping through hoops trying crazy hacks and exploits to do so.

The issues are now with the component manufacturers like Texas Instruments and Qualcomm who have yet to release up to date open sourced drivers for newer kernels. Heck, it took petitions and a letter writing campaign just to get them to release the stale sources we have now that were already nearly two years old. Don't hold your breath that they'll be inclined to release any newer ones for a device as old as ours is.

Sorry to give you the bad news but you're jumping in with this pretty late in the game. Our device wasn't a big seller, and was eclipsed by lighter more powerful units within 3 months of its release. All but a handful of devs left for greener pastures long ago. What we have left is a small group of dedicated diehards who are doing the best they can with what they have to work with. Just be thankful that we have them, and that any work is still being done here.

Look at this forum, on a busy day there's maybe 6-7 posts, but on average 2-3. Were lucky that the powers that run this place haven't relegated us to "legacy" status yet. Again, I don't want to down you out, but even if every active reader of this forum were to run out and immediately do as you suggest, we'd be lucky to get a hundred sent in. I'm sorry, but these are the facts. To believe anything else would be at best hopeless optimism, or at worst pure fantasy. Just my opinion.

Ciao
Current device: HTC Amaze 4G
Bootloader: HTC - Dev unlocked, S-on
Recovery: 4ext - smart flash enabled
ROM: Cyanogenmod-10.1.2 - Compiled and customized by me
Xposed framework - rovo89
GravityBox - C3C076

Previous device: HTC HD2 (TMOUS - LEO1024)
Final ROM: NexusHD2-JellyBean-CM10.1.3 v2.7 - Tytung
Had more lives than a cat, best handset I ever owned
Lesson: If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
RIP
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Odysseus1962 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
pbergonzi
Old
(Last edited by pbergonzi; 8th January 2014 at 05:30 AM.) Reason: remembered to add a forgotten word
#4  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 56
Posts: 146
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: San Pedro
Oh, thanks Odysseus. The history lesson was edifying and poignant. Since the subject was stickied, it still seemed relevant.
Nevertheless, after ravike mentioned just recently about communicating with someone there, I thought communication at the very least wouldn't hurt, and who knows if someone somewhere might just change something. I think that energy spent in changing my mind would be better spent and more psychically rewarding directed toward HTC, even though presumably useless. You for example, are certainly articulate enough that your words might well work a lasting sympathetic response in a developer, and who knows where that will go, even if he doesn't directly reply in kind--he might for example, be kinder to the person who brings his coffee, just as an example.
Granted, 5 million members of xda are not about to contact HTC, however, as the little sparrow, with feet pointed skyward to prevent it from falling, said to the chuckling farmer who doubted him, "One does what one can."
Amaze 4G Unlocked Rooted S-off (Juopunutbear) SuperCID 4EXT CM10

This is not haiku.
Nor does it profess to be.
Android in Springtime.
 
SuperAfnan
Old
#5  
SuperAfnan's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 2157
Posts: 1,915
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Jacksonville, Florida

 
DONATE TO ME
Thumbs up Sorry to Burst Your Bubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus1962 View Post
I hate to rain on your parade, but you're referencing a nearly two year old post that was made at a time when HTC wasn't unlocking devices or providing source code for them. Tens of thousands did write letters and signed several online petitions, the most famous of which was at change.org. HTC eventually did bow to pressure and provided the means to unlock boot-loaders and released the source code. It's why we and other HTC owners can run different kernels and ROMs now, without jumping through hoops trying crazy hacks and exploits to do so.

The issues are now with the component manufacturers like Texas Instruments and Qualcomm who have yet to release up to date open sourced drivers for newer kernels. Heck, it took petitions and a letter writing campaign just to get them to release the stale sources we have now that were already nearly two years old. Don't hold your breath that they'll be inclined to release any newer ones for a device as old as ours is.

Sorry to give you the bad news but you're jumping in with this pretty late in the game. Our device wasn't a big seller, and was eclipsed by lighter more powerful units within 3 months of its release. All but a handful of devs left for greener pastures long ago. What we have left is a small group of dedicated diehards who are doing the best they can with what they have to work with. Just be thankful that we have them, and that any work is still being done here.

Look at this forum, on a busy day there's maybe 6-7 posts, but on average 2-3. Were lucky that the powers that run this place haven't relegated us to "legacy" status yet. Again, I don't want to down you out, but even if every active reader of this forum were to run out and immediately do as you suggest, we'd be lucky to get a hundred sent in. I'm sorry, but these are the facts. To believe anything else would be at best hopeless optimism, or at worst pure fantasy. Just my opinion.

Ciao
+1

@pbergonzi I do appreciate that you are trying to help, but the Amaze is LONG dead. If you decide to visit HTC's official website, the Amaze has vanished. They are pretending it never existed. The only things left are old drivers and antiquated software support from HTC (doesn't apply to us anymore). From what I saw, they only released source because they would have been breaking the GPL, thus decreasing their reputation as a smartphone manufacturer.

Also, it's not that HTC doesn't want to support us, it's that they can't. Texas Instruments doesn't support our chipset, and never will because this phone didn't sell. HTC has absolutely no obligation to release source code for less than a dozen hobbyist developers. They have better things to do, like develop for the HTC One. Why would they care about us. That's the ugly unwritten truth about companies.

If they do decide to spontaneously resume support, I will buy 3 goats, paint numbers "1", "2", and "4" on them and release the goats while in school and let them run wild!
Use my referral link if you don't have a Dropbox! It's good cloud storage! When you use it please remember to install!-->http://db.tt/5dIMndQi
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperAfnan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Odysseus1962
Old
(Last edited by Odysseus1962; 10th January 2014 at 07:41 AM.)
#6  
Odysseus1962's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 339
Posts: 471
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Miami
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergonzi View Post
Oh, thanks Odysseus. The history lesson was edifying and poignant. Since the subject was stickied, it still seemed relevant.
Nevertheless, after ravike mentioned just recently about communicating with someone there, I thought communication at the very least wouldn't hurt, and who knows if someone somewhere might just change something. I think that energy spent in changing my mind would be better spent and more psychically rewarding directed toward HTC, even though presumably useless. You for example, are certainly articulate enough that your words might well work a lasting sympathetic response in a developer, and who knows where that will go, even if he doesn't directly reply in kind--he might for example, be kinder to the person who brings his coffee, just as an example.
Granted, 5 million members of xda are not about to contact HTC, however, as the little sparrow, with feet pointed skyward to prevent it from falling, said to the chuckling farmer who doubted him, "One does what one can."
Listen, I hope my comments haven't dampened your enthusiasm. I truly love this device. It's the perfect size for my needs, takes great photos, and connects to the net much faster than the HD2 it replaced. The hardware still holds its own 3 years after release. It was the top of the line when it came out and the build quality that one would expect from a high-end product is evident wherever you look on the device.

The only problem with it is software, in particular an outdated OS. The very software that allows lesser devices to perform better than this, is what's holding it back. Please don't be discouraged, instead learn what you can so that you too can contribute to our small, but loyal community. Together, each in his own way, we can continue to keep the amaze alive.
Current device: HTC Amaze 4G
Bootloader: HTC - Dev unlocked, S-on
Recovery: 4ext - smart flash enabled
ROM: Cyanogenmod-10.1.2 - Compiled and customized by me
Xposed framework - rovo89
GravityBox - C3C076

Previous device: HTC HD2 (TMOUS - LEO1024)
Final ROM: NexusHD2-JellyBean-CM10.1.3 v2.7 - Tytung
Had more lives than a cat, best handset I ever owned
Lesson: If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
RIP
The Following User Says Thank You to Odysseus1962 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
pbergonzi
Old
#7  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 56
Posts: 146
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: San Pedro
Maybe it should be "New Approach to get Texas Instuments to listen."
Like for example, in the TI Engineer to Engineer community, where ravike14 is trying to get a little satisfaction regarding unreleased code:
http://e2e.ti.com/support/low_power_...1.aspx#1089531
Amaze 4G Unlocked Rooted S-off (Juopunutbear) SuperCID 4EXT CM10

This is not haiku.
Nor does it profess to be.
Android in Springtime.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes