IndexService files using up all my internal storage

Search This thread

columbo

Aug 20, 2006
Is anyone else getting this issue?

Recently, my phone has been telling me that my internal storage space is running out. I have hardly anything stored in my internal storage.

I used an app called DiskUsage to find out what was using up the space and I discovered a load of files in the folder called .MyFilesContentSearch. There are several files with the extension .prx that can be up to 3GB each, and some .frq files that can be up to 1GB each. There are also several cfs files measuring just over 400MB each. What on earth is this app doing?

The full path to this folder is /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.samsung.indexservice/files/.MyFilesContentSearch

jady5yge.jpg

I know there have been threads complaining about CPU usage, overheating and battery drain related to IndexService, all of which I experience whenever IndexService is running, but I haven't seen anyone else mention this specific issue of excess storage space being taken up.

I did try resetting my phone and reformatting my 32gb storage card, but the problem won't go away. Even if I take out my SD card, the folder fills up.

I have seen claims that this has to do with a corrupt pdf file, but I'm not convinced. I deleted all the pdf files that I could find on my device, but the problem remains.

I have found that I can delete the files without any problems, but the folder will just fill up again after a day or two. It's not the end of the world, as I have a spare battery and can close down IndexService and delete the files, but it's an annoyance to have to do this so often.

I know there are things I can do to solve this if I root my phone, but I am not willing to do that just yet, so please don't offer suggestions that require rooting. I intend to send a bug report to Samsung, but before I do that I would like to know if anyone else has this specific issue.

My phone is a UK n9005 from Three and the ROM is XXUDMJ6.

Has this affected anyone here? If so, does anyone know if it gets fixed in later ROM editions?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

pete4k

Jan 2, 2014
Get Android assistant or even without it, force close applications you downloaded around the time the problem came out and just see when the problem goes away, since I also think it's something interacting with indexer. Come to think of it why not wipe cache first and if not fixed, factory reset? If factory reset doesn't work I would send it back for repair.