XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Can't install 4.4.2 OTA update due to font file

Tip us?

thecarlsoncrew
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Can't install 4.4.2 OTA update due to font file

I have a Nexus 7 (2012) with 4.4, rooted, TWRP 2.6.0.0. I'm trying to update to the 4.4.2 OTA update, but it's not working. Whether I run it from the system notification prompt or try to install the file manually (in /cache) via TWRP, it fails with this error:
"/system/fonts/Roboto-Bold.ttf" has unexpected contents.
Then it says there's an error executing the updater binary, an error flashing zip file, etc. All the standard stuff when it bombs out of an install.

I did change my font using ROM Toolbox Pro a while back, but I restored the original font and tried running it again. Still got the error. I tried downloading a fresh copy of the .ttf file and replacing the one in /system/fonts, but still got the error. It seems a little silly for the whole update to crash due to a font file, but whatever...

Can anyone help me figure out what's going on, and how to get this OTA to install properly? Thanks in advance!

AndDiSa
Old
Thanks Meter 303
Probably it's easier to flash the 4.4.2 factory image resp. system.img and boot.img of it manually than trying to recover the correct 4.4 state.

There are already some posts where I described how to do it and there is also a post in my blog describing the process.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

1. Phone: Samsung Galaxy SII GT-I9100, CM-11-UNOFFICIAL-i9100 (ADS-build)

2. Phone: G1
Rom: IcedADS_Magpie Gingerbread (2.3.7) based on ezGingerbread and Firerat's magpie
Recovery: Amon RA-Dream-v1.7.0 (MTD:90/2/114, 1.33.0013)
Radio: 2.22.28.25 SPL: 1.33.0013d SD Card: 8GB Class 6 - ~7.2GB Fat32 / ~500MB Ext3

Nexus 7 (16GB), Android 4.4.2 (Rooted Stock)
Follow me on AndDiSa Android Blog.

Get 20 GB(!) of cloud space using copy.com
The Following User Says Thank You to AndDiSa For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

thecarlsoncrew
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndDiSa View Post
Probably it's easier to flash the 4.4.2 factory image resp. system.img and boot.img of it manually than trying to recover the correct 4.4 state.

There are already some posts where I described how to do it and there is also a post in my blog describing the process.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
Well, after every failure, it reboots and goes right back to functioning perfectly as it was on 4.4. But, I will consider the direct flash of 4.4.2 if no one else has any other suggestions. Thanks!
Tags
4.4.2, font, kitkat, ota, roboto-bold