XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Evo 4g LTE Car Stereo Idea

Tip us?

richard head
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Evo 4g LTE Car Stereo Idea

Ok, so I have an old evo 4g lte lying around and I have a few ideas for it. One of them is to turn it into a car stereo.

I want to basically make it power on when the car turns on by removing the battery and connecting it directly to vehicle power via USB - and stick it to the dashboard of the car to use as a music player. I would like to be able to use google play music (in conjunction with the wifi hotspot on my new Nexus 4 or possibly just with the onboard music on the 32gb microSD card.)

A few issues I see as potentially problematic - the OS boot times. the headphone jack puts out weak signal so I plan to use a bluetooth connection to the radio. I may want to use the phone in the house. It may get stolen.

Anyway, has anybody done anything like this before? I have an old HP Touchpad that I might like to use for a head unit at some point as well. Android is pretty cool.

It might be feasible using a battery but the issue I've seen with that is that the charge it occasionally gets from the car when it's powered on is not enough to keep the phone always going, hence it will eventually go dead and require removal for charging - limiting mounting options to something where it's easy to remove - which is not a good thing for the Touchpad, as it is too big to just stick somewhere.

I hope this was an OK place to drop this. LMK what you think.
HTC Evo 4G LTE CM10.2

HP TouchPad CM9

Nexus 5 (stock)

Moto X (stock)

iPhone 4S (stock)

Dredz
Old
Thanks Meter 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard head View Post
Ok, so I have an old evo 4g lte lying around and I have a few ideas for it. One of them is to turn it into a car stereo.

I want to basically make it power on when the car turns on by removing the battery and connecting it directly to vehicle power via USB - and stick it to the dashboard of the car to use as a music player. I would like to be able to use google play music (in conjunction with the wifi hotspot on my new Nexus 4 or possibly just with the onboard music on the 32gb microSD card.)

A few issues I see as potentially problematic - the OS boot times. the headphone jack puts out weak signal so I plan to use a bluetooth connection to the radio. I may want to use the phone in the house. It may get stolen.

Anyway, has anybody done anything like this before? I have an old HP Touchpad that I might like to use for a head unit at some point as well. Android is pretty cool.

It might be feasible using a battery but the issue I've seen with that is that the charge it occasionally gets from the car when it's powered on is not enough to keep the phone always going, hence it will eventually go dead and require removal for charging - limiting mounting options to something where it's easy to remove - which is not a good thing for the Touchpad, as it is too big to just stick somewhere.

I hope this was an OK place to drop this. LMK what you think.
Not with an Evo, but below is a link to a build using the Galaxy Tab 7 in a NBS Yukon/Tahoe/Suburban. This can be adapted to fit many vehicles with proper planning. Options to customize/fabricate are endless.

Yukon G Tab 7 Build

We are the Mynions! You will be assimilated! Resistance is futile!

Click for help partitioning your OG Evo SD Card
Follow me on G+ (Request for assimilation taken there)

iandmacdonald
Old
Thanks Meter 39
By the time u got that all built-up, you could have bought a $40 head unit and used the usb jack to play all your music, etc.

Sent from my EVO using xda app-developers app

still_token
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by iandmacdonald View Post
By the time u got that all built-up, you could have bought a $40 head unit and used the usb jack to play all your music, etc.

Sent from my EVO using xda app-developers app
But the coolness factor wouldn't be there lol

Sent from my EVO using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to still_token For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

svtevolte
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default seconds kershom

I would probably go with a small tab I think they actually make them for double din applications

thepyro6
Old
Thanks Meter 8
I was able to go 2 days on one charge with my evo lte. I would think it would be fine. Especially if it's on airplane mode and not syncing in the background all day and night. And I would go from the headphone jack to car stereo amp(s). I have considered this multiple times with the intentions of using an older android tab.

electronleaker
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Good point on airplane mode for sure!!