Unhappy Sprint LG LS980 (OptimusG2) stuck in download mode or stock recovery

Hi all. I'm not a novice when it comes to rooting and flashing but I'm stuck on this one. A friend of mine tried to install CM11 on this phone, the LS980 and somehow really jacked it up. It's stuck in a bootloop, but I can get into download mode and stock recovery. All data has been wiped. I have tried using the LGFlash tool to install the stock tot and dll but it fails. It fails because the the tool says the file is the wrong model for the phone. Here's the thing, its not. But somehow the phone now thinks its a D802 instead of an LS980. (This happened during the CM11 attempt somehow) The flash tool fails every time. I even tried the D802 files and it started to flash but failed about a 1/4 of the way through. That confirms that the phone definitely thinks its a D802, weird. When I hook it up to the LG Support tool, it tells me the phone is a testmodel!

Needless to day I've tried everything I know how. ADB sideloads, different recoveries, and I've researched for hours on end. I have hope that there's still a solution. I would be golden if I could get a recovery on it, either TWRP or CWM. Any help is appreciated.