XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] No SMS or MMS after Straight Talk Switch

Tip us?

83HatchGTI
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] No SMS or MMS after Straight Talk Switch

I understand this thread may be in the incorrect location, so mods or admins feel free to move it to the correct location.

So yesterday I changed over from AT&T to Straight Talk on the bring your own phone feature.

I used my Galaxy Note 2 (not a clone) Jelly Bean 4.1.2 software. I am able to place and receive phone calls as well as access the internet so far. My MMS is functioning to send pictures, however will not receive them. Also, my SMS does not function for sending or receiving text at all.

I followed the instructions on Straight Talk for setting the APN. When I did that I had no internet or sending of MMS. I found on google some other APN settings which made my internet and sending MMS work.

My current settings are as follows.

Name: straight talk
APN: tfdata
Proxy: not set
Port: 80
MMSC: h t t p : / / mms-tf . net (without spaces)
MMS Proxy: mms3 . tracfone . com (without spaces)
MMS Port: 80

It's only been 24 hours since I switched but I've spent basically that entire time trying different APN's I found online.

I also made a Facebook account and went to the support tab on their facebook. I chatted with a person from tech support, however they were unable to resolve my issue. It was the exact same thing as talking to a tech support member at their 800 number. It was a whole lot of...

"send yourself a text and see if you get it"
Didn't work

"okay turn your phone off and back on again"
okay

"try sending yourself a text and see if you get it"
nope didn't work still

"okay trying deleting your text messages, it's probably full"
okay

"restart the phone and try to send yourself a message"
didn't work again

"Okay make sure your APN settings are exactly as they are on our website"
yep they are

"Okay now try to reboot your phone again and send yourself a message"
Wait a minute...you had me LOOK at my APN settings and since they're okay, we are just going to reboot again? Really?

"Okay we are going to walk you through a factory reset of your phone. You will probably lose any pictures, video or music you had saved on the phone. Let me know when you are ready to go ahead with the process"
Ummmm...CLICK...I hung up...

Except the chat support operator hung up on me when I tried their facebook support. They simply disconnected leaving behind a message saying "to assist you further, we will need to speak to you directly, please call our 800 number blah blah blah". They basically had me do the same thing as the phone operator except they once even had me remove my sim card and put it back in then reboot.

So...I still have no SMS or MMS.

I don't feel like it's going to be an APN setting issue because I tried every APN I could find on google yesterday and today. They all seem to allow me to do the same things and they all seem to restrict SMS. I find this odd because most people with APN problems, the main complaint seems to just be not being able to send/receive MMS only.

I was unable to delete or edit the AT&T APN that was already in the phone. Unfortunately the APN Backup & Restore app will not work for me because my software is version 4.1.2 so I'm feeling trapped here. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Bajanman
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3829

DONATE TO ME
Here's my apn guide. Hopefully it might help you...
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=38641763
Your apn I see you listed looks a lil different, than the ones I posted...

Couple of questions.
Are you rooted?
Is that stock firmware?
Have the device ever been rooted?
Did ya get it used?
Many many factors can come into play. When running into problems..

SENT FROM MY SAMMY i317 USING TAPATALK4

I CAN'T PROMISE to fix all your problems but I CAN PROMISEyou won't face them alone.

[How To][Guide] Att Apn List

83HatchGTI
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Well after my wife talked to ST with some attitude they have finally offered to send a new sim card to me, which is the first new thing they've tried not involving rebooting my phone. I don't have much faith in it providing a fix. If it does, I will update this thread to show my findings, however if it does not I will be returning to AT&T to get a gophone sim.

Bajanman
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3829

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by 83HatchGTI View Post
Well after my wife talked to ST with some attitude they have finally offered to send a new sim card to me, which is the first new thing they've tried not involving rebooting my phone. I don't have much faith in it providing a fix. If it does, I will update this thread to show my findings, however if it does not I will be returning to AT&T to get a gophone sim.
Ok I'll wait, and check back on your outcome... Hopefully everything works out for you...

I CAN'T PROMISE to fix all your problems but I CAN PROMISEyou won't face them alone.

[How To][Guide] Att Apn List

83HatchGTI
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajanman View Post
Here's my apn guide. Hopefully it might help you...
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=38641763
Your apn I see you listed looks a lil different, than the ones I posted...

Couple of questions.
Are you rooted?
Is that stock firmware?
Have the device ever been rooted?
Did ya get it used?
Many many factors can come into play. When running into problems..

No my phone isn't rooted.
Yes it's stock
I don't know if it's ever been rooted. I am the second owner of this phone.
Yes I got the phone used.

I'll look at your link. I'm not afraid to keep trying other options right now. My new sim won't be here for another 3 to 5 days. That's way too long to be without sms. I downloaded Voxer and can send text and pictures through its features but not everyone in my contacts has Voxer or wants to get another app just because of me. This has sucked all the way around.

83HatchGTI
Old
(Last edited by 83HatchGTI; 12th January 2014 at 12:04 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
So my new SIM card arrived today. I installed it immediately and placed a call to Straight Talk via a different phone (wifes iPhone) to activate it. I am well finished activating my new SIM and am able to place calls as well as send MMS, yet still cannot receive them nor send/receive SMS yet. It's been a several hours now and nothing. This sucks. I didn't want to wipe my phone completely but I tried it. Back to factory settings and still nothing. In the process of downloading all my apps and putting all my pictures back on my phone now. Blah.

83HatchGTI
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
For anyone interested in hearing how this turned out, I sort of have an answer. My SMS and MMS both work now as well as internet.

After putting my new SIM card in and having Straight Talk re-provision my account, then hard resetting my phone, it ended up working after about 5 hours. I kept trying to send SMS off and on during that time and suddenly a message made it to my wifes phone and she was able to reply. So far everyone in my contacts can get messages and reply. It was Straight Talks problem all along.