5,814,797 Members 52,480 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Hardware Emulation for Specific Device(s)?

Tip us?

FallenZen
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 69
Default [Q] Hardware Emulation for Specific Device(s)?

Hey folks. First, I apologize if this isn't the right place to post this since it's not actually about hacking Android so much as it's about creating a test environment on a PC. I'll elaborate:

I'd like to know if it's possible to use an emulator, such as Oracle's VM VirtualBox, to emulate the actual hardware profile of a specific device. For example, when I emulate a PC in VirtualBox I am able to define the virtual machine's hardware specifications to a limited degree. I would like to be able to emulate the exact hardware profile of Sprint's version of the S3 (SPH-L710), but anything in the ballpark of Samsung's Galaxy S3/4 devices would be useful.

The intention here would be to generate a virtual environment for testing and logging the installation and modification of bootloaders (especially *ahem* secured bootloaders such as those infested with KNOX). Currently, if a user has a KNOXed bootloader, they've only got one screw up before their KNOX bit goes from 0x0 to 0x1. I'd like to be able to generate a virtual environment that is able to simulate a device's hardware so that I can experiment with tripping KNOX, and I'll probably have to trip it a couple thousand times... Since my phone only gave me one shot, I'm about 1,999 attempts shy of that.

So, is this even remotely possible or am I just wishing on stars with this notion?

Thanks,
-Zen
Sprint's Samsung Galaxy S3
Flashed to VZW prepaid unlimited
Android 4.3 (MK3), complete with KNOX set to 0x1 thanks to the OTA update it came with.

Use this link to sign up for Copy's Cloud Storage and we both get an extra 5gb (that means you start out with 20GB!)
https://copy.com/?r=FgSGI0

hnkotnis
Old
Thanks Meter 436
Location: Sangli, Maharashtra, India, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Galaxy Group,Universe
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenZen View Post
Hey folks. First, I apologize if this isn't the right place to post this since it's not actually about hacking Android so much as it's about creating a test environment on a PC. I'll elaborate:

I'd like to know if it's possible to use an emulator, such as Oracle's VM VirtualBox, to emulate the actual hardware profile of a specific device. For example, when I emulate a PC in VirtualBox I am able to define the virtual machine's hardware specifications to a limited degree. I would like to be able to emulate the exact hardware profile of Sprint's version of the S3 (SPH-L710), but anything in the ballpark of Samsung's Galaxy S3/4 devices would be useful.

The intention here would be to generate a virtual environment for testing and logging the installation and modification of bootloaders (especially *ahem* secured bootloaders such as those infested with KNOX). Currently, if a user has a KNOXed bootloader, they've only got one screw up before their KNOX bit goes from 0x0 to 0x1. I'd like to be able to generate a virtual environment that is able to simulate a device's hardware so that I can experiment with tripping KNOX, and I'll probably have to trip it a couple thousand times... Since my phone only gave me one shot, I'm about 1,999 attempts shy of that.

So, is this even remotely possible or am I just wishing on stars with this notion?

Thanks,
-Zen
Unfortunately what you exactly require is very good to be true.
You can emulate your exact device specifications and your phone's System image with official emulator that comes with Android SDK. But it doesn't have functions like boot loader, recovery etc.

If you use Android x86 in Oracle VM Virtual box, then you cannot create exact specifications of your SIII/SIV.

Sent from my GT-S5360 Gadget of Mass Destruction using xda-app
Using CWM........Busybox Commands........No I use my hands
The Following User Says Thank You to hnkotnis For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

FallenZen
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnkotnis View Post
Unfortunately what you exactly require is very good to be true.
You can emulate your exact device specifications and your phone's System image with official emulator that comes with Android SDK. But it doesn't have functions like boot loader, recovery etc.

If you use Android x86 in Oracle VM Virtual box, then you cannot create exact specifications of your SIII/SIV.

Well, that's a bummer. I suppose it's not terribly surprising that there isn't a practical method for perfect hardware emulation, but I figured it was worth asking. Thanks for the information, I didn't realize I could install a module for Android in VirtualBox so at least I've still got something I can work with!

Thanks very much,
-Zen
Sprint's Samsung Galaxy S3
Flashed to VZW prepaid unlimited
Android 4.3 (MK3), complete with KNOX set to 0x1 thanks to the OTA update it came with.

Use this link to sign up for Copy's Cloud Storage and we both get an extra 5gb (that means you start out with 20GB!)
https://copy.com/?r=FgSGI0

hnkotnis
Old
Thanks Meter 436
Location: Sangli, Maharashtra, India, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Galaxy Group,Universe
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenZen View Post
Well, that's a bummer. I suppose it's not terribly surprising that there isn't a practical method for perfect hardware emulation, but I figured it was worth asking. Thanks for the information, I didn't realize I could install a module for Android in VirtualBox so at least I've still got something I can work with!

Thanks very much,
-Zen
Glad to help you. But I would suggest you Android SDK emulator as it can work with only system image of your phone. You can also set exact specifications. But only drawback is no boot loader. For Virtualbox you need bootable iso.

Tags
emulator, galaxy, hardware, knox, security