XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Nexus 7 ART runtime help

Tip us?

Smithy5995
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default Nexus 7 ART runtime help

Hello, I recently successfully unlocked the boot loader and rooted my device running stock Android 4.4.2 but I'm having a problem with the Dalvik and ART runtimes. I've read that when you change over from Dalvik to ART it takes about 20 minutes to change everything as ART requires about 10% more space for each app. But my problem is that whenever I click on "Use ART" and my tablet reboots, nothing happens. It turns off and boots up like normal without any changes, so I looked in the options and nothing changed. I'm still using Dalvik. I've tried this process a few times but still it boots up with Dalvik.
I have 3.5GB of space left on my device with about 8GB used so I don't know if that causing it not work or whether because I've rooted my device.

Any help would be appreciated

meekrawb
Old
Thanks Meter 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy5995 View Post
Hello, I recently successfully unlocked the boot loader and rooted my device running stock Android 4.4.2 but I'm having a problem with the Dalvik and ART runtimes. I've read that when you change over from Dalvik to ART it takes about 20 minutes to change everything as ART requires about 10% more space for each app. But my problem is that whenever I click on "Use ART" and my tablet reboots, nothing happens. It turns off and boots up like normal without any changes, so I looked in the options and nothing changed. I'm still using Dalvik. I've tried this process a few times but still it boots up with Dalvik.
I have 3.5GB of space left on my device with about 8GB used so I don't know if that causing it not work or whether because I've rooted my device.

Any help would be appreciated
Are you using Xposed? Can't use ART if you are.
The Following User Says Thank You to meekrawb For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

TheCraig
Old
Thanks Meter 186
It could be Xposed.. the developer said Xposed relies on Dalvik, and it requires basically an entire rewrite to even test if its work porting to ART.

By the way I've switched from Dalvik to Art and so forth a few times now (I don't have Xposed) and I've had no issues. I prefer ART though.

Current Device: Sony Xperia Z1 C6903, Nexus 7 (2013, 16GB)
Headphones & Earphones: Beats Solo HD, Sennheiser CX 475 (I love the CX 475, sound great and comfortable)
Previous Devices: Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300, Sony Xperia Play R800i, HTC Wildfire
The Following User Says Thank You to TheCraig For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

LinearEquation
Old
Thanks Meter 334

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCraig View Post
It could be Xposed.. the developer said Xposed relies on Dalvik, and it requires basically an entire rewrite to even test if its work porting to ART.

By the way I've switched from Dalvik to Art and so forth a few times now (I don't have Xposed) and I've had no issues. I prefer ART though.
Using Xposed with Art will most likely end in a bootloop. Art is faster but still a bit in Googles experimental phase.

Sent from my Nexus 7 Flo running Odex SinLess ROM 4.4.2 with ElementalX kernel using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
[ROOT]
2013 KFHD7 KFSOWI with firmware 11.x.x.x KFSOWI (no camera/no HDMI output) http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2544736 Post 10 at the link has instructions to block Amazon OTA updates on KFHD 7 KFSOWI
Remove Ads from Lockscreen KFHD7 2013 KFSOWI http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=48623841
The Following User Says Thank You to LinearEquation For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Saythis
Old
Thanks Meter 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinearEquation View Post
Using Xposed with Art will most likely end in a bootloop. Art is faster but still a bit in Googles experimental phase.

Sent from my Nexus 7 Flo running Odex SinLess ROM 4.4.2 with ElementalX kernel using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The latest version of Xposed forces you back to Dalvik if you attempt to enable ART.
The Following User Says Thank You to Saythis For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Smithy5995
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default Thanks

Thanks for the replies everyone. I am using Exposed. I think I'll just keep using Dalvik for the moment instead of going through the hassle of deleing Xposed