MultiImagePicker Library for Multiple Image Selection

App developmentcan be done in more than a handful of ways. You can write every single … more

Shoot Troubles, Not Users w/ Alex Boag-Munroe – XDA:DevCon 2014

In presenting the various sessions from XDA:DevCon 2014, weve mainly … more

Oppo Releases ColorOS for the Find 5… Poorly

Almost every OEM has taken the liberty of creating its own incarnation of the Android OS. … more

XDA LG Development Challenge Winners

Almost 3months ago, we set out with LGto findtwo amazing apps that developers could put together … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Restore stock kernal (MDK) and keep root?

OP ww15

7th January 2014, 06:04 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

5 posts
I have an S4 on VZW (build MDK) that I rooted and installed CWM on. I believe I used the procedure here (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2290798).

I want to restore the phone back to stock but still keep root and CWM. Can I just flash the stock VRUAMDK kernel with Odin? Will I lose root and/or the custom recovery? I tried searching but couldn't find a definitive answer on whether or not I will lose root by just flashing the MDK kernal on an already rooted device.

If so, how do I proceed? Would I need to start over by flashing the VRUAMD2 prerelease kernel > root > flash VRUAMDK > then custom recovery?

Thanks.
10th January 2014, 01:50 AM   |  #2  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
any harm in trying the second option at least?
10th January 2014, 04:00 AM   |  #3  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Virginia
Thanks Meter: 1,580

1,925 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ww15

I have an S4 on VZW (build MDK) that I rooted and installed CWM on. I believe I used the procedure here (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2290798).

I want to restore the phone back to stock but still keep root and CWM. Can I just flash the stock VRUAMDK kernel with Odin? Will I lose root and/or the custom recovery? I tried searching but couldn't find a definitive answer on whether or not I will lose root by just flashing the MDK kernal on an already rooted device.

If so, how do I proceed? Would I need to start over by flashing the VRUAMD2 prerelease kernel > root > flash VRUAMDK > then custom recovery?

Thanks.

Yes, you can flash the stock MDK. You'll lose root but can re-root using Loki (MD2 prerelease - > MDK).
10th January 2014, 05:42 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1mu

Yes, you can flash the stock MDK. You'll lose root but can re-root using Loki (MD2 prerelease - > MDK).

Thanks k1, but pardon my ignorance or misreading your response, but don't I use loki to get CWM back, and use the motochopper method to get root back?
11th January 2014, 01:33 AM   |  #5  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Virginia
Thanks Meter: 1,580

1,925 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Thanks k1, but pardon my ignorance or misreading your response, but don't I use loki to get CWM back, and use the motochopper method to get root back?

Sorry, you're right. I've never had a MDK phone (mine started with ME7) so haven't ever actually used Loki or Motochopper.
12th January 2014, 02:46 AM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
so i ended up doing a factory reset then re-rooting...didnt lose the CWM recovery tho

thought id post my results in case it helps someone else out
The Following User Says Thank You to ww15 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th January 2014, 02:59 PM   |  #7  
Flag Decatur
Thanks Meter: 834

2,453 posts
Quote:

so i ended up doing a factory reset then re-rooting...didnt lose the CWM recovery tho

thought id post my results in case it helps someone else out

so you factory reset, then rerooted and CWM was still intact and all is good then?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread