XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Sound quality

Tip us?

Tondern
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by drzoo2 View Post
Has anyone tried to flash Cyanogen's DSP manger on the LG stock rom and had improvements in the Gpad's sound? I've seen were people are saying after flashing to a different ROM, their sound was much improved. Seems like the sound issues maybe software related, or at least addressable in software.

I'd try it myself but I haven't had the time to flash a custom recovery yet. The thread below references JB but there are also successful 4.4 installs on the last page.

Thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2393138
Sadly, it's not working for me on stock ROM. I tried CM11 and the Slim ROM both have much better sound quality. I'm just experiencing some battery drain on most custom ROMs atm, so I'll stay stock and deal with the bad sound quality for now.

drzoo2
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tondern View Post
Sadly, it's not working for me on stock ROM. I tried CM11 and the Slim ROM both have much better sound quality. I'm just experiencing some battery drain on most custom ROMs atm, so I'll stay stock and deal with the bad sound quality for now.
Thanks for the reply and your attempt at flashing this. I ended up installing Mahdi yesterday. There is no question that while the speakers are not great, the resonance issue can be easily fixed with software. Watching video on the Gpad is now rather enjoyable.

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

woody1
Old
Thanks Meter 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by drzoo2 View Post
Thanks for the reply and your attempt at flashing this. I ended up installing Mahdi yesterday. There is no question that while the speakers are not great, the resonance issue can be easily fixed with software. Watching video on the Gpad is now rather enjoyable.

What software did you use to improve the sound?

drzoo2
Old
(Last edited by drzoo2; 12th January 2014 at 04:17 PM.)
Thanks Meter 11
Just the difference between stock and the Mahdi ROM. On stock, as discussed there is a nasty resonance below a certain threshold. At least on my tablet. After flashing, the sound is smooth and very clear across any level. I have noticed that at full volume, it doesn't seem to be as loud as stock. Worth the trade off. Since the difference has only been software, I am concluding that what ever LG is using as a layer between their ROM and my ears is causing the quality issue. It looks like Mahdi is using CM's DSP manger. What is the result using some of the other ROMs available?

Edit: I have yet to play with DSP manager settings. There may more to gain. This is now a great tablet. I was very let down because the audio was so poor. I am very satisfied now.