5,595,196 Members 44,886 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Softbricked VZW S3 running LS 2.7 (4.2.2)

Tip us?
 
papadelogan
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 13
Join Date: Apr 2012
Unhappy [Q] Softbricked VZW S3 running LS 2.7 (4.2.2)

I've been trying to upgrade to a LiquidSmooth KitKat (3.0 Nightly Beta) ROM but it's been failing. So I figured it's Sunday, it's early, let me try again. Let's get a baseline:

Last usable (as of earlier this morning) ROM: LS 2.7 (4.2.2)
TWRP 2.6.3.0
SuperSU installed

So I *WAS* unlocked and rooted.... now... I don't know what the heck is wrong.

Saturday I downloaded "EZ Unlock 1.2" and installed it; Unlock Status was "UNKNOWN" and even after clicking the UNLOCK button it still showed "UNKNOWN"

So, this morning, I made sure I had the new ROM (LS KitKat 3.0 Nightly Beta 2) on my external SD card, booted in to TWRP, and updated to the latest TWRP (2.6.3.1). I then cleaned out some old ROM backups and made a new one (using compression) which was successful. Rebooted to system, all looked & worked normally, so I rebooted to TWRP Recovery, did a Factory Reset + system (so cache, dalvik, data, & system) and that went fine. Tried to install the new ROM... FAILED. So I rebooted to Recovery and tried to restore the backup I had just made, and it seemed to succeed, but when the phone rebooted, it only got to where it reads "Samsung Galaxy S III" and got no further. I let it sit like that for 10 minutes, then pulled the battery. I booted back in to Recovery and tried restoring a backup made 2 days ago (that I have previously restored from successfully) and that gave a "successful" result, but same thing after rebooting: stuck at where it reads "Samsung Galaxy S III" and would go no further.

I am in DOWNLOAD mode currently and want to get back to the point of being able to restore my backup from 2 days ago. I'll lose text messages basically, and that's fine. I have downloaded ODIN 3.07 but it's been about a year since I last tinkered with it.

Can someone help please? I either get this phone working in the next few hours, or I have to go buy something else off craigslist... or full retail... and I'd really just prefer to get this phone working again.

If I need to "start from ground zero" and redo the boot unlock and root it, so be it. Basically, how do I unbrick my S3?
 
buhohitr
Old
#2  
buhohitr's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1459
Posts: 4,998
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by papadelogan View Post
I've been trying to upgrade to a LiquidSmooth KitKat (3.0 Nightly Beta) ROM but it's been failing. So I figured it's Sunday, it's early, let me try again. Let's get a baseline:

Last usable (as of earlier this morning) ROM: LS 2.7 (4.2.2)
TWRP 2.6.3.0
SuperSU installed

So I *WAS* unlocked and rooted.... now... I don't know what the heck is wrong.

Saturday I downloaded "EZ Unlock 1.2" and installed it; Unlock Status was "UNKNOWN" and even after clicking the UNLOCK button it still showed "UNKNOWN"

So, this morning, I made sure I had the new ROM (LS KitKat 3.0 Nightly Beta 2) on my external SD card, booted in to TWRP, and updated to the latest TWRP (2.6.3.1). I then cleaned out some old ROM backups and made a new one (using compression) which was successful. Rebooted to system, all looked & worked normally, so I rebooted to TWRP Recovery, did a Factory Reset + system (so cache, dalvik, data, & system) and that went fine. Tried to install the new ROM... FAILED. So I rebooted to Recovery and tried to restore the backup I had just made, and it seemed to succeed, but when the phone rebooted, it only got to where it reads "Samsung Galaxy S III" and got no further. I let it sit like that for 10 minutes, then pulled the battery. I booted back in to Recovery and tried restoring a backup made 2 days ago (that I have previously restored from successfully) and that gave a "successful" result, but same thing after rebooting: stuck at where it reads "Samsung Galaxy S III" and would go no further.

I am in DOWNLOAD mode currently and want to get back to the point of being able to restore my backup from 2 days ago. I'll lose text messages basically, and that's fine. I have downloaded ODIN 3.07 but it's been about a year since I last tinkered with it.

Can someone help please? I either get this phone working in the next few hours, or I have to go buy something else off craigslist... or full retail... and I'd really just prefer to get this phone working again.

If I need to "start from ground zero" and redo the boot unlock and root it, so be it. Basically, how do I unbrick my S3?
Have you try to wipe cache/dalvik cache/system/ format sd, make sure everything is mounted the do the restore again?
 
papadelogan
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 13
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by buhohitr View Post
Have you try to wipe cache/dalvik cache/system/ format sd, make sure everything is mounted the do the restore again?
I am currently backing up my external SD card (all pics & backups go to ExtSDCard) before doing any formatting. I was going to try that next, but am expecting it to fail. What I've found on XDA so far has mostly for those that took an OTA but that is not my case. I am severely pressed for time (use my phone for work as well as personal) and am planning for "worst case scenario" so, assuming your suggestion fails, do I get the original ROM, flash that back using ODIN, then re-do the boot unlock & root?
 
buhohitr
Old
#4  
buhohitr's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1459
Posts: 4,998
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by papadelogan View Post
I am currently backing up my external SD card (all pics & backups go to ExtSDCard) before doing any formatting. I was going to try that next, but am expecting it to fail. What I've found on XDA so far has mostly for those that took an OTA but that is not my case. I am severely pressed for time (use my phone for work as well as personal) and am planning for "worst case scenario" so, assuming your suggestion fails, do I get the original ROM, flash that back using ODIN, then re-do the boot unlock & root?
That would be the right way..good luck!
 
papadelogan
Old
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 13
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by buhohitr View Post
That would be the right way..good luck!
I was hoping for a bit more than "good luck" actually since it's been a good year since my last trip with Odin... but thanks.
 
buhohitr
Old
#6  
buhohitr's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1459
Posts: 4,998
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by papadelogan View Post
I was hoping for a bit more than "good luck" actually since it's been a good year since my last trip with Odin... but thanks.
I have high confidence that you will have this issue resolved shortly. It's not your fault, lately, some custom roms did not behave accordingly...
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Android App Review: Lock it Down with Lockdown Pro – XDA Developer TV

Our smartphones are our lives. They store our contacts, emails, … more

Get the AOSP Lock Screen on Your ICS-Powered Samsung Device

Android is the only popular mobile operating system that allows users, … more

Motorola Droid RAZR HD and M to Receive KitKat in a “Few More Weeks”

Verizon and Motorola shocked us all back in November when … more

[APK] YouTube Update to 5.6 Now Lets You Cast Live Video to Your Chromecast

Earlier today, we talked about how Google brought two new apps to … more