Swapping Motherboard

Search This thread

PantherVT

Oct 12, 2012
Google Pixel 5a
Unfortunately I dropped my xt907 (with some serious force) and smashed the screen.It appears that the phone itself is still functioning because lights are flashing, its making notification sounds and when connecting to my computer via USB i can access all my files. Since i dont want to buy a new one and be handcuffed with a locked boot loader I'm going to attempt a repair. Does anyone know if putting my motherboard into another phone (maybe with a bad ESN) will bring my phone back to life? My other thought was to salvage the motherboard, battery and camera and just install them in a brand new LCD screen, digatizer and backing. any feedback would be appreciated!

ezknives

Jul 21, 2013
Just pick one up off Ebay or something and swap the screens... Its rather easy to do in my opinion... I usually grab one that's water damaged...

Sent from my XT907 using xda app-developers app

PantherVT

Oct 12, 2012
Google Pixel 5a
I wish it was as simple as replacing the screen but the backside got all messed up too. I managed to get the board out but in doing so there was a tiny metal hinge looking thing that broke off the backside of the board next to there the power plug. I'm sure that completes a circuit somewhere so I guess my little project is over. not good.

ezknives

Jul 21, 2013
Btw how is KK soak bld hunting getting on?

The ole lady won't let me on the PC to flash back to stock I on the hunt for a recovery flashable unmodified stock ..

I wish it was as simple as replacing the screen but the backside got all messed up too. I managed to get the board out but in doing so there was a tiny metal hinge looking thing that broke off the backside of the board next to there the power plug. I'm sure that completes a circuit somewhere so I guess my little project is over. not good.
can you post a pic...

PantherVT

Oct 12, 2012
Google Pixel 5a
here are some photos. I have circled the area of the motherboard that was chipped. In motherboard1 the piece that broke off is in the photo as well. In the backing photo I circled the area that may be a contact point to complete a circuit.

Attachments

• motherboard1.JPG
    motherboard1.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 194
  • motherboard2.jpg
    motherboard2.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 174
  • backing.JPG
    backing.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 175

ezknives

Jul 21, 2013
Yeah that looks done... It may just be for the wifi but doesn't look like it can be Jimmy rigged ... I was thinking maybe a touch of foil on it but I don't see any tracers to make the connection

Reactions: PantherVT

GnatGoSplat

Apr 29, 2007
That's for the LTE Rx antenna. The motherboard will probably still work, but you will have diminished LTE reception.
That motherboard might still be useful for someone who is using their phone on GSM networks and can't use LTE anyway.

I might be interested in it if you'd be willing to sell it real cheap.

PantherVT

Oct 12, 2012
Google Pixel 5a
That's for the LTE Rx antenna. The motherboard will probably still work, but you will have diminished LTE reception.
That motherboard might still be useful for someone who is using their phone on GSM networks and can't use LTE anyway.

Thanks for the explanation. If I end up selling I'll let you know. Do you think the antenna can be reattached and become fully functional again?

GnatGoSplat

Apr 29, 2007
Thanks for the explanation. If I end up selling I'll let you know. Do you think the antenna can be reattached and become fully functional again?

Hard to say, but in my opinion, the answer is YES. I don't think you'll have any chance of finding the broken trace, I sure can't see it in that photo and I'm guessing it's not visible. However, I bet one of those tiny components near where it used to be was directly connected to it. You would need either a wiring diagram or trace an undamaged motherboard with the ohms setting of a multimeter to see if any of those components were directly connected to the terminal. You could then probably reform that gold terminal with tweezers, and solder a very, very tiny wire between the solder end of the appropriate component and that terminal and use a good strong epoxy to glue the terminal back down to the board in its correct location. You'd need a really good pencil-tip soldering iron, really steady hands, and good soldering skills to do that kind of micro-soldering.

I'm thinking to part out the RAZR M that I bricked over the weekend. If you're interested, I can test my board to see if any of those nearby components have continuity to the terminal.

GnatGoSplat

Apr 29, 2007
Not sure if you're still wanting to fix it, but I pulled my bricked RAZR M apart today and saw this is a pretty easy fix.
That terminal connects directly to the lower of the 2 black SMD components. In fact, I didn't notice before, but in your pic there is still some visible trace connected to it. Should be pretty simple to epoxy the terminal back onto the board and solder a short piece of wire onto the remainder of the trace.

Reactions: PantherVT

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just pick one up off Ebay or something and swap the screens... Its rather easy to do in my opinion... I usually grab one that's water damaged...

Yeah that looks done... It may just be for the wifi but doesn't look like it can be Jimmy rigged ... I was thinking maybe a touch of foil on it but I don't see any tracers to make the connection

Not sure if you're still wanting to fix it, but I pulled my bricked RAZR M apart today and saw this is a pretty easy fix.
    That terminal connects directly to the lower of the 2 black SMD components. In fact, I didn't notice before, but in your pic there is still some visible trace connected to it. Should be pretty simple to epoxy the terminal back onto the board and solder a short piece of wire onto the remainder of the trace.