5,599,077 Members 32,342 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Preventing Hotspot Data Tracking.

Tip us?

Necrodox
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Preventing Hotspot Data Tracking.

So let's say you have unlimited data but don't want to pay for a mobile hotspot add-on. You find a work around and manage to enable the hotspot.

My question is regarding how this data is tracked, are they two separate entries or is the data compiled into one big chunk and recognized as a total number of GB's?

If the hotspot data is tracked separately is there a way to disable this feature to hide the fact that you have a hotspot?

Thanks in advance.

jhasty01
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Depends how far Verizon wants to look into it. On a network layer side of things, mac address is a dead giveaway.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda app-developers app

tech_head
Old
Thanks Meter 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhasty01 View Post
Depends how far Verizon wants to look into it. On a network layer side of things, mac address is a dead giveaway.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda app-developers app
So is the TTL in the packet.
If they do packet inspection they can tell.
On the other hand, if you tether via BT they have a harder time.

thesoldier
Old
Thanks Meter 131
How much tethering are you planning to do? I use up to 10gb a month sometimes. Someone posted they constantly use up to 100gb's a month...even saw a guy where he used 900gb's in a month. Yes, 900gb. You should be fine.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Necrodox
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I figured I wouldn't have an issue, my one friend wants to do this on his iPhone. I haven't had issues using the hotspot for a max of 10GB per month so no worries on my end.

Thanks for the replies guys.

jcwilliams
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Ive used 80gb before in a month and I am currently at about 65gb for my cycle. Ive never been contacted or looked into (knock on wood). I might add that a verizon rep did see the usage at the local store and said wow but that was it.
Youll be fine.