Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,670 Members 44,389 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Recommendations for getting Facebook video uploads to look better

Tip us?

cr_buck
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Recommendations for getting Facebook video uploads to look better

I know this phone can take great video. Problem is, I share a lot of them on Facebook. I see people uploading videos with an old iPhone 4s or even some of the cheap Android handsets that looks better than my 1020. Even my old 920 videos looked better on Facebook. Any ideas of how to improve the situation. Even with HD turned on in Facebook, the videos still look grainy and bad.

SinisterJunkie
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Try changing your video resolution down to 720p, which will make the video match Facebook's limit of 1280px. Video shot at 1080p will have a width of 1920px and will then be rescaled by Facebook's encoder, which is probably what is making your videos look poor.

https://www.facebook.com/help/124738474272230
Network: AT&T
Device: Nokia Lumia 1020 (primary) / HTC One (backup)

cr_buck
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinisterJunkie View Post
Try changing your video resolution down to 720p, which will make the video match Facebook's limit of 1280px. Video shot at 1080p will have a width of 1920px and will then be rescaled by Facebook's encoder, which is probably what is making your videos look poor.

Thanks. I'll give that a try. Maybe at least I can take some videos that way just for Facebook.

If anyone knows/hears of an app or other solution as well so I don't have to reduce the quality of my recordings or us a PC for upload it would be appreciated. I love my Lumia 1020 but it's just frustrating to see people post videos straight off an iPhone 4S to Facebook and it looks better than mine. Kinda hard to sell others on how great my phone is if it doesn't look better out of the box to them. Of course that would be more of an MS/Nokia issue.

cr_buck
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinisterJunkie View Post

Ok. So I've had a chance to try every video setting on the phone. All of them looks worse than the video quality of a crappy flip phone. My Lumia 920 wouldn't do this. Facebook videos looked very nice when you switched on HD viewing. I just don't get it. This is supposed to have the better camera and yet every video looks crappy, and that's on a desktop system with the HD option on Facebook enabled.

The only thing I haven't tried at this point is manually downloading the videos to a regular computer and recoding with some third party app but what point is having it if I have to do that.

I noticed in your description you have a 1020. Do your Facebook videos look bad? I have Lumia Black. Only other thing otherwise is maybe I got a bum phone.

SinisterJunkie
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Honestly, I haven't posted any videos to Facebook from my 1020. At least not yet.
Network: AT&T
Device: Nokia Lumia 1020 (primary) / HTC One (backup)
Tags
facebook video