Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,734,036 Members 52,481 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Is it worth it unlocking bootloader and losing Bravia Engine?

Tip us?

neverborn
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Thought so, but I'm a new enough Sony user that u wasn't sure. Thanks!

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk

shaolin95
Old
Thanks Meter 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueether View Post
Only with a locked BL?
Yep. Unlock BL no x-reality...lock it and it works again. No way around it...at least for now.

Gayest quote ever from MST3K!
"You know Captain, every year of my life, I grow more and more convinced that the wisest and best is to fix our attention on the good and the beautiful...if you just take the time to look at it.".

My Galaxy Note Games & Apps previews YOUTUBE channel

dape16
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolin95 View Post
Yep. Unlock BL no x-reality...lock and it works again. No way around it...at least for now.
I have unlocked my BL and to be honest I can't tell any difference with X-reality deactivated. But I mostly use QuickPic to view photos and MX Player for videos. I do not regret unlocking.

shaolin95
Old
Thanks Meter 869
There is a difference but sadly is not always for the best from my previous experience.
Some things look very nice, almost HD like but very bad video quality for example just seems to look even worst lol

Gayest quote ever from MST3K!
"You know Captain, every year of my life, I grow more and more convinced that the wisest and best is to fix our attention on the good and the beautiful...if you just take the time to look at it.".

My Galaxy Note Games & Apps previews YOUTUBE channel

SpyderTracks
Old
Thanks Meter 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolin95 View Post
There is a difference but sadly is not always for the best from my previous experience.
Some things look very nice, almost HD like but very bad video quality for example just seems to look even worst lol
Totally agree, on the whole I have it disabled because of this. The benefits aren't good enough to warrant it IMHO.

Sent from my C6833 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Sony Xperia Z Ultra C6833
Stock .257 Unrooted

Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000, iPhone 3GS, HTC Touch Diamond, HTC Touch Pro, HTC Universal, Sony Ericsson P990i, boat load of nokia's for a long time.

I love this site!!! Thanks to all

jnocomski
Old
Thanks Meter 13

DONATE TO ME
Just making it clear, I unlocked my BL and rooted my XZU but I can still see X-Reality. Is it simply not working or it's supposed to be not there, even?
Past - Present Android Devices

Present Android Device: Sony Xperia Z Ultra - C6802 - 14.2.A.1.136 - Stock - Bootloader UL - Rooted
Backup Android Device: Sony Xperia C - C2305 - 16.0.B.2.13 - Stock - Rooted

hassanmahmood
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnocomski View Post
Just making it clear, I unlocked my BL and rooted my XZU but I can still see X-Reality. Is it simply not working or it's supposed to be not there, even?
It'll still show the option - but it won't actually be in effect because of lost DRM keys.

jnocomski
Old
Thanks Meter 13

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by hassanmahmood View Post
It'll still show the option - but it won't actually be in effect because of lost DRM keys.
Ah, i see! I couldn't tell the difference then, if it's in effect or not! Thanks.
Past - Present Android Devices

Present Android Device: Sony Xperia Z Ultra - C6802 - 14.2.A.1.136 - Stock - Bootloader UL - Rooted
Backup Android Device: Sony Xperia C - C2305 - 16.0.B.2.13 - Stock - Rooted

TRENDING IN THEMER...