[Tutorial] How to Fix your Pico's Headphone Socket

Search This thread

mrchezco1995

May 29, 2012
Balagtas
www.youtube.com
Getting audio cuts, left or right channel always disconnects, audio distortion, or headphones not working at all? Well your Pico's headphone socket is loose. Solders on the headphone socket are somehow, cracked or just got detached from the board. Here's how to fix it...

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF THIS TUTORIAL BROKE YOUR PICO. THIS WILL ALSO VOID YOUR WARRANTY. PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK

Ok let's get started. Here's what you need:

- Pico ( of course :p )
- Torx and Philips screwdriver
- Soldering Iron
- Soldering lead

Step 1: Remove all the screws on the case using a small torx screwdriver and remove the case

3bj2q309n1ge9bvfg.jpg

Step 2: Remove the screws on the board using philips screwdriver

kqpitsckcgi274ffg.jpg

cxuur9la0r30q6gfg.jpg

Be sure to keep the screws in a safe place :)

Step 3: Remove those black tapes. Also keep them in a safe place...

vpe5t0dcntre1refg.jpg

Step 4: Disconnect the Ribbon Cables...

gmbtm8gyi8smwwzfg.jpg

ck5p8t8ih14a5rtfg.jpg

Step 5: Take out the board CAREFULLY...

wv08g1q8k4zwq5lfg.jpg

Step 6: Prepare your soldering iron and soldering lead

xk231u99cwcgsiofg.jpg

Step 7: Solder the contacts... ONLY solder the contacts pointed at the picture...

g3igdp84th03ablfg.jpg

vtb5iov9mvg7xw5fg.jpg

Don't apply too much solder! Solder it CAREFULLY! We don't want to short it...

After soldering...

9x70o9wtwhaa6r4fg.jpg

arh5mm5btmzutmafg.jpg

I'm not really that good at soldering but that gets the job done :)

Now put your Pico back together and test it out. If this fixes your headphone connection problems, CONGRATULATIONS :D /) ! If not, try again :)

vd3drxg33nsk97vfg.jpg

ju8pppk9pahwz4zfg.jpg

Sent from Ponyville

mrchezco1995

May 29, 2012
Balagtas
www.youtube.com
Very risky..:p as HTC has sensors dozens of sensors and very complex IC and integration of them..

Very Very need full and good tutorial who like listening to music but cant hear it properly due to socket.

Actually it isn't that risky, as you'll only solder the connections of headphone socket... If you know how to solder then you'll be fine :)

You're welcome :D

Sent from Ponyville

Reactions: v_superuser

cybojenix

Retired Forum Mod / Retired Recognized Developer
Apr 7, 2012
I would strongly advise you apply heat syncs when doing this, otherwise you can end up frying components near the headphone socket (I've managed to do this before when using old solder that wouldn't melt easily)

Another tip, use the smallest tip you can find for the soldering iron. if all you have is a chisel tip, don't use it. it's too much risk!

lastly, make sure you clean up the old solder. don't mix new + old

I also recommend looking at some soldering guides. it's easy to do a bad solder and make stuff even worse.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Getting audio cuts, left or right channel always disconnects, audio distortion, or headphones not working at all? Well your Pico's headphone socket is loose. Solders on the headphone socket are somehow, cracked or just got detached from the board. Here's how to fix it...

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF THIS TUTORIAL BROKE YOUR PICO. THIS WILL ALSO VOID YOUR WARRANTY. PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK

Ok let's get started. Here's what you need:

- Pico ( of course :p )
    - Torx and Philips screwdriver
    - Soldering Iron
    - Soldering lead

Step 1: Remove all the screws on the case using a small torx screwdriver and remove the case

3bj2q309n1ge9bvfg.jpg

Step 2: Remove the screws on the board using philips screwdriver

kqpitsckcgi274ffg.jpg

cxuur9la0r30q6gfg.jpg

Be sure to keep the screws in a safe place :)

Step 3: Remove those black tapes. Also keep them in a safe place...

vpe5t0dcntre1refg.jpg

Step 4: Disconnect the Ribbon Cables...

gmbtm8gyi8smwwzfg.jpg

ck5p8t8ih14a5rtfg.jpg

Step 5: Take out the board CAREFULLY...

wv08g1q8k4zwq5lfg.jpg

Step 6: Prepare your soldering iron and soldering lead

xk231u99cwcgsiofg.jpg

Step 7: Solder the contacts... ONLY solder the contacts pointed at the picture...

g3igdp84th03ablfg.jpg

vtb5iov9mvg7xw5fg.jpg

Don't apply too much solder! Solder it CAREFULLY! We don't want to short it...

After soldering...

9x70o9wtwhaa6r4fg.jpg

arh5mm5btmzutmafg.jpg

I'm not really that good at soldering but that gets the job done :)

Now put your Pico back together and test it out. If this fixes your headphone connection problems, CONGRATULATIONS :D /) ! If not, try again :)

vd3drxg33nsk97vfg.jpg

ju8pppk9pahwz4zfg.jpg

Sent from Ponyville
    /)

I'll take this spot for future purposes :)

Here, have a BROHOOF :D /)

vinyl_scratch_and_filly_dashie_by_atroxlp-d61auep.png

Sent from Ponyville
    I would strongly advise you apply heat syncs when doing this, otherwise you can end up frying components near the headphone socket (I've managed to do this before when using old solder that wouldn't melt easily)

Another tip, use the smallest tip you can find for the soldering iron. if all you have is a chisel tip, don't use it. it's too much risk!

lastly, make sure you clean up the old solder. don't mix new + old

I also recommend looking at some soldering guides. it's easy to do a bad solder and make stuff even worse.
    A big thanks Renz! :D
    Very risky..:p as HTC has sensors dozens of sensors and very complex IC and integration of them..

Very Very need full and good tutorial who like listening to music but cant hear it properly due to socket.

Actually it isn't that risky, as you'll only solder the connections of headphone socket... If you know how to solder then you'll be fine :)

You're welcome :D

Sent from Ponyville