Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

How to stop Android from caching thumbnails?

OP Fleetknight

13th January 2014, 03:17 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

21 posts
Yesterday I finally got around to shifting my entire music collection to my external SD card, and then I uploaded all my music to Google Drive as well for safe keeping. Woke up the next day missing over 1.5GB of internal storage space. I checked Android assistant and my thumbnail cache was 1.88GB. It's usually pretty high anyway since I have dozens of podcasts, videos, and even some full movies on my external SD card, but now it's ballooned out of control. How can I stop Android from forcing these thumbnails that I don't want associated with my files?

Galaxy S4 stock 4.2.2 and rooted if that makes any difference.
13th January 2014, 07:50 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 7

55 posts
Donate to Me
More
I don't think there's a certain way to prevent this unless someone has a tool for. You'll just have to clear / delete the files as you go along.
13th January 2014, 08:03 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

21 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scripts

I don't think there's a certain way to prevent this unless someone has a tool for. You'll just have to clear / delete the files as you go along.

The problem is that even after I delete the bloated thumbnail cache, at least according to my settings menu, the internal storage remains the same. So it seems that the space is reserved for the inevitable refreshing of the thumbnail cache that comes every time I reboot or my music gallery is opened. It just annoys me that so much valuable internal space is taken up by something so pointless. If I could find a way to have thumbnails save automatically to my external SD card, I would be happy enough with that.
13th January 2014, 10:31 AM   |  #4  
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 153

176 posts
Donate to Me
More
Hello, I'm not sure how to stop thumbnail caching but try and clear cache its self

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2
13th January 2014, 01:32 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

21 posts
Unfortunately clearing the thumbnail cache does nothing. The internal storage remains the same and the thumbnails are back on reboot all the same.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread