How to factory reset a Surface Pro that's been upgraded to 8.1?

OP sneak3

4th January 2014, 03:30 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

29 posts
Hey.

I'm trying to perform a restore to leave my surface pro 1 back to factory defaults. When I try to do it, it says some files are missing and that I should use a media with those. However I never created a disk for that.

Did some research and found out that people who have upgraded to win 8.1 all experience this issue.

I also tried to download the win 8/8.1 isos from microsoft be it won't accept my product key...Then, I downloaded a legal windows 8.1 iso that would need to be activated after being installed. Put it in a flashdrive and then the surface didnt ask for the missing files anymore. It reset all fine. HOWEVER, I would always need that flashdrive to make it work. As Im planning on selling it, thats not the case.

I just wanted it to recover from the recovery partition, but apparently, it's not properly "seeing" it, as it keeps asking for additional files.

Im clueless. How do I make that partition work again?
5th January 2014, 04:54 AM   |  #2  
Flag San Diego
Thanks Meter: 82

288 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneak3

Hey.

I'm trying to perform a restore to leave my surface pro 1 back to factory defaults. When I try to do it, it says some files are missing and that I should use a media with those. However I never created a disk for that.

Did some research and found out that people who have upgraded to win 8.1 all experience this issue.

I also tried to download the win 8/8.1 isos from microsoft be it won't accept my product key...Then, I downloaded a legal windows 8.1 iso that would need to be activated after being installed. Put it in a flashdrive and then the surface didnt ask for the missing files anymore. It reset all fine. HOWEVER, I would always need that flashdrive to make it work. As Im planning on selling it, thats not the case.

I just wanted it to recover from the recovery partition, but apparently, it's not properly "seeing" it, as it keeps asking for additional files.

Im clueless. How do I make that partition work again?

I think it's a bug, because my Surface Pro 2 which came with 8.1 has always done that. I needed to pull a recovery drive from my dad's Toshiba U925t to recover mine after a bad Linux dual boot
5th January 2014, 01:08 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

29 posts
Well thats just bad. I guess the right question now would be how to fix the recovery partition.

Havent found anything about that yet though.
13th January 2014, 12:57 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 51

795 posts
Have you tried searching for "create recovery" and creating a new flash recovery drive? I did this after updating my Surface Pro to 8.1. It creates an 8.0 recovery but I was able to create it from an 8.1 system. You can then boot from the flash drive and do a refresh.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread