5,595,339 Members 48,147 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How to factory reset a Surface Pro that's been upgraded to 8.1?

Tip us?

sneak3
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default How to factory reset a Surface Pro that's been upgraded to 8.1?

Hey.

I'm trying to perform a restore to leave my surface pro 1 back to factory defaults. When I try to do it, it says some files are missing and that I should use a media with those. However I never created a disk for that.

Did some research and found out that people who have upgraded to win 8.1 all experience this issue.

I also tried to download the win 8/8.1 isos from microsoft be it won't accept my product key...Then, I downloaded a legal windows 8.1 iso that would need to be activated after being installed. Put it in a flashdrive and then the surface didnt ask for the missing files anymore. It reset all fine. HOWEVER, I would always need that flashdrive to make it work. As Im planning on selling it, thats not the case.

I just wanted it to recover from the recovery partition, but apparently, it's not properly "seeing" it, as it keeps asking for additional files.

Im clueless. How do I make that partition work again?

lopezk38
Old
Thanks Meter 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneak3 View Post
Hey.

I'm trying to perform a restore to leave my surface pro 1 back to factory defaults. When I try to do it, it says some files are missing and that I should use a media with those. However I never created a disk for that.

Did some research and found out that people who have upgraded to win 8.1 all experience this issue.

I also tried to download the win 8/8.1 isos from microsoft be it won't accept my product key...Then, I downloaded a legal windows 8.1 iso that would need to be activated after being installed. Put it in a flashdrive and then the surface didnt ask for the missing files anymore. It reset all fine. HOWEVER, I would always need that flashdrive to make it work. As Im planning on selling it, thats not the case.

I just wanted it to recover from the recovery partition, but apparently, it's not properly "seeing" it, as it keeps asking for additional files.

Im clueless. How do I make that partition work again?
I think it's a bug, because my Surface Pro 2 which came with 8.1 has always done that. I needed to pull a recovery drive from my dad's Toshiba U925t to recover mine after a bad Linux dual boot
PHONES: iPhone 3GS (Retired, Jailbroken, iDroid, overclocked to 800MHz) -> Motorola Atrix 4G (Shattered, CM10, Faux kernel @ 1.45 ghz overclocked) -> Google/LG Nexus 4 (Primary Phone, OmniRom, Franco Kernel +) + Motorola Atrix HD (Secondary Phone (For when the battery dies on the Nexus 4), CM11)

TABLETS: Sony Tablet S (Retired, rooted 4.0.3), Surface Pro 2 128GB (Current, W8.1)

sneak3
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Well thats just bad. I guess the right question now would be how to fix the recovery partition.

Havent found anything about that yet though.

naplesbill
Old
Thanks Meter 51
Have you tried searching for "create recovery" and creating a new flash recovery drive? I did this after updating my Surface Pro to 8.1. It creates an 8.0 recovery but I was able to create it from an 8.1 system. You can then boot from the flash drive and do a refresh.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It doesn't matter if you have an Android, iOS, WP7, or any other OS based device. Just enjoy what you have and share with the rest of us.