Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

A few basic questions regarding using SIM unlocked Focus S, please help.

OP procter

8th January 2014, 03:35 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 5

145 posts
More
Question 1: Seems like Focus S is never getting as much love as HTC Titan for some reason, why is that?

OK, I just got two extra WP phones I got back in 2012 SIM unlocked, sammy focus S and HTC Titan. I plan to give one to my parents in China to use, who are not tech savvy nor heavy cellular data user at all. I have a few questions based on what I skimmed through several WP forums (XDA etc) that I need you experienced users' help.

1. Which one is more idiot-proof for old users, focus S or Titan?
2. Once I SIM unlocked it, I assume they can just pop a local SIM to talk and txt, right? Anything else that needs to be manually set up?
3. I noticed a few threads talking about tricks of setting APN with Straight Talk. How about TMobile? And I assume that's only used for data usage right? If my parents just use it to talk and txt plus WIFI, it should be fine just leave the settings unchanged?
4. Also a lot of threads were debating whether to upgrade to WP7.8 or not and how to do it. Now it's 2014, is WP7.8 upgrade pushed automatically by MS already or I still need to follow the instruction and use 3rd party tools to do it?
5. Is there any custom ROMs for this phone at all? And what are the immediate updates/mods you guys suggest if I boot up the phone for the first time.

Thanks so much.
10th January 2014, 03:06 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Glasgow
Thanks Meter: 447

2,786 posts
Donate to Me
More
The focus s was unfortunately an ATT exclusive , meaning one of the best designed windows phone 7 devices ever made was also only available to a tiny number of users, hence the lack of love!

As for setting it up,network unlock it, interop unlock, setup apn , update to 7.8 an your done

Sent from my arc 10HD using xda app-developers app
11th January 2014, 06:05 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Focus S to android Os
So noone can get the Focus S to run any android Os ?
13th January 2014, 05:14 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Glasgow
Thanks Meter: 447

2,786 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennyscrewz

So noone can get the Focus S to run any android Os ?

Dude,

With the exception of ONE device, the immortal HTC HD2, there has never been any (current) device that has had cross platform support, and lets be clear about the HD2, it was a WM device, that was opened up, and rather handily was also used as a test platform for WP. its android life started out as a hack that ran (initially) from within windows, later moved to its own ROM via MAGLDR. There was a lot of very cleaver people using a single device thus it had a lot of support to do these wonderful things.

OEMs shipping android then went nuts and made so many new devices it diluted the support available to specific phones and effectively killed off any further "HD2 Moments"

So no, the focus S doesn't have Android support. No one is working on it, no one tried to and to my knowledge no one will ever work on it, the same can probably be said about most phones.

Besides that, I cant remember which one because there was so many different versions it is but its essentially the same as the Samsung Galaxy 2(s?) so why not buy that if you want android on it?

and Finally

This has been asked So many times about so many devices, even googling it brings up an answer within the first few posts. Just take this as a wee helping hint, try search for your questions, this site has so many users over so many devices that statistically, its likely any question you may have has probably been answered somewhere by someone else
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread