OK, I just got two extra WP phones I got back in 2012 SIM unlocked, sammy focus S and HTC Titan. I plan to give one to my parents in China to use, who are not tech savvy nor heavy cellular data user at all. I have a few questions based on what I skimmed through several WP forums (XDA etc) that I need you experienced users' help.
1. Which one is more idiot-proof for old users, focus S or Titan?
2. Once I SIM unlocked it, I assume they can just pop a local SIM to talk and txt, right? Anything else that needs to be manually set up?
3. I noticed a few threads talking about tricks of setting APN with Straight Talk. How about TMobile? And I assume that's only used for data usage right? If my parents just use it to talk and txt plus WIFI, it should be fine just leave the settings unchanged?
4. Also a lot of threads were debating whether to upgrade to WP7.8 or not and how to do it. Now it's 2014, is WP7.8 upgrade pushed automatically by MS already or I still need to follow the instruction and use 3rd party tools to do it?
5. Is there any custom ROMs for this phone at all? And what are the immediate updates/mods you guys suggest if I boot up the phone for the first time.
Thanks so much.