Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,098 Members 46,822 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Failed Root?

Tip us?

androooleee
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Exclamation [Q] Failed Root?

I'm usually good at searching for answers for my problems, but I couldn't find the answer to my problems. I'll be as specific and detailed as I can.

I got my HTC Rezound and was running Android 4.0.3 out of the box. Then I decided to root my phone mainly to try to remove HTC sense and bloatware.

*First time at rooting*

From my understanding, I first had to unlock the bootloader, install a custom recovery, then install a custom rom (if I choose to, which I wanted to do).

So I successfully unlocked the bootloader through the HTCdev website. (I'll admit I was having trouble initially on my Windows 8.1 desktop, but I switched to my Windows 7 laptop and it worked perfectly)

Then I went on ahead to flash a custom recovery (Amon Ra Recovery).

After that, I managed to go into Recovery from the Bootloader to install Superuser. Then I updated it to the latest version via Google Play.

So far, I was having little to no issues up to this point.

But here's where I start getting into trouble...

Before I install a custom rom I wanted to test out the phone with it's new unlocked features. So I decided to download Titanium Backup (which downloaded and installed successfully) and it failed to find root access. So I decided to do some research and found out that rebooting it a few time helped some people out. Not for me.... Hard rebooted as well, but no dice. Looking at my Superuser (v 3.1.3), I noticed that the binaries were out of date (v3.0.3, and the latest is 3.1.1)

Thinking that this was the issue I tried to update it.

This is what the Binary Updater read:

Downloading manifest... okay!
Parsing manifest... okay!
Latest version = 3.1.1
Checking installed version = 3.0.3
Unpacking sutools... okay!
Checking current install path... /system/bin/su
Downloading new binary... okay!
Gaining root access... fail!

Then I decided to continue reboot 3-5 times, still nothing changes.

I downloaded a root checker app, which also told me that my phone is not rooted. I've also tried to reset my phone to factory settings through Recovery, but nothing changed.

I'm not sure if it's the Amon Ra Recovery or what. All I know is that my phone is telling me that it's not rooted, when I successfully did all the steps to do it. If there is another thread that I may have missed that solves this issue, please help me out.

I'm pretty sure I may just need to update the binary files on Superuser, but I can't do that through the Binary updater on my phone due to it's failing to gain root access. I just can't find the proper Binary files online. I'm also not too sure on how to update the binary files either.

Help?

mjones73
Old
Thanks Meter 749

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by androooleee View Post
I'm usually good at searching for answers for my problems, but I couldn't find the answer to my problems. I'll be as specific and detailed as I can.

I got my HTC Rezound and was running Android 4.0.3 out of the box. Then I decided to root my phone mainly to try to remove HTC sense and bloatware.

*First time at rooting*

From my understanding, I first had to unlock the bootloader, install a custom recovery, then install a custom rom (if I choose to, which I wanted to do).

So I successfully unlocked the bootloader through the HTCdev website. (I'll admit I was having trouble initially on my Windows 8.1 desktop, but I switched to my Windows 7 laptop and it worked perfectly)

Then I went on ahead to flash a custom recovery (Amon Ra Recovery).

After that, I managed to go into Recovery from the Bootloader to install Superuser. Then I updated it to the latest version via Google Play.

So far, I was having little to no issues up to this point.

But here's where I start getting into trouble...

Before I install a custom rom I wanted to test out the phone with it's new unlocked features. So I decided to download Titanium Backup (which downloaded and installed successfully) and it failed to find root access. So I decided to do some research and found out that rebooting it a few time helped some people out. Not for me.... Hard rebooted as well, but no dice. Looking at my Superuser (v 3.1.3), I noticed that the binaries were out of date (v3.0.3, and the latest is 3.1.1)

Thinking that this was the issue I tried to update it.

This is what the Binary Updater read:

Downloading manifest... okay!
Parsing manifest... okay!
Latest version = 3.1.1
Checking installed version = 3.0.3
Unpacking sutools... okay!
Checking current install path... /system/bin/su
Downloading new binary... okay!
Gaining root access... fail!

Then I decided to continue reboot 3-5 times, still nothing changes.

I downloaded a root checker app, which also told me that my phone is not rooted. I've also tried to reset my phone to factory settings through Recovery, but nothing changed.

I'm not sure if it's the Amon Ra Recovery or what. All I know is that my phone is telling me that it's not rooted, when I successfully did all the steps to do it. If there is another thread that I may have missed that solves this issue, please help me out.

I'm pretty sure I may just need to update the binary files on Superuser, but I can't do that through the Binary updater on my phone due to it's failing to gain root access. I just can't find the proper Binary files online. I'm also not too sure on how to update the binary files either.

Help?
1) I'd recommend TWRP or CWM for your recovery, both can be found in the Original Development section.
2) Try flashing this via recovery for root on an ICS rom - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=371
Matt
LG G2 - Stock/rooted/debloated/G2 Tweaksbox
HTC Rezound - S-Off - Retired
The Following User Says Thank You to mjones73 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

maestromind
Old
Thanks Meter 0
i think rooting method u use is not working.
have u try another rooting method?
like z4root or superOneClick shortfuse?