XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Full Settings app

Tip us?

dpw13
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Cool Full Settings app

First off, THIS COULD DAMAGE/BRICK YOUR GLASS! I'm not responsible for anything that happens to your Glass directly or indirectly caused by this app.

I've spent the last few days getting a build environment set up to build APKs that require the internal and hidden APIs for Glass. As a test I've built the stock 4.0.3_r1.1 Settings.apk with as few modifications as possible. In particular I've made the following changes:

1) Removed as many theme references as I could so that the menus would feel at least reasonably glass-like.
2) Removed HOME intents (used by CryptKeeper; I would not recommend trying to encrypt Glass, and receiving this intent was messing up Glass every time I turned the screen back on)
3) Removed android.uid.system shared user ID. Based on my minimal knowledge of these things, I don't think you can install the APK as the system user unless the APK is signed with the same signature as the ROM.
4) Added various permissions to AndroidManifest.xml to make a few more things work since the app isn't installed as the system user.

I haven't done much testing; really I've only tested things like the About screen, view installed apps, and the battery stats. If you try to actually change any settings, you'll probably get a crash due to some missing permissions because the app isn't running as system. Also anything that uses a seek bar is broken, so setting brightness, volume, etc seems broken. Really, don't expect much of anything to work. Google has changed several things under the hood, and I haven't really customized this app for Glass beyond just making it work. It is kind of neat seeing the About screen though.

To install: Use adb. You don't need root.
To run: I've been using Launchy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	main.png
Views:	630
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	2463108   Click image for larger version

Name:	version.png
Views:	553
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	2463109   Click image for larger version

Name:	cpu.png
Views:	505
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	2463110  
Attached Files
File Type: apk Settings.apk - [Click for QR Code] (6.46 MB, 62 views)

banq81991
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpw13 View Post
First off, THIS COULD DAMAGE/BRICK YOUR GLASS! I'm not responsible for anything that happens to your Glass directly or indirectly caused by this app.

I've spent the last few days getting a build environment set up to build APKs that require the internal and hidden APIs for Glass. As a test I've built the stock 4.0.3_r1.1 Settings.apk with as few modifications as possible. In particular I've made the following changes:

1) Removed as many theme references as I could so that the menus would feel at least reasonably glass-like.
2) Removed HOME intents (used by CryptKeeper; I would not recommend trying to encrypt Glass, and receiving this intent was messing up Glass every time I turned the screen back on)
3) Removed android.uid.system shared user ID. Based on my minimal knowledge of these things, I don't think you can install the APK as the system user unless the APK is signed with the same signature as the ROM.
4) Added various permissions to AndroidManifest.xml to make a few more things work since the app isn't installed as the system user.

I haven't done much testing; really I've only tested things like the About screen, view installed apps, and the battery stats. If you try to actually change any settings, you'll probably get a crash due to some missing permissions because the app isn't running as system. Also anything that uses a seek bar is broken, so setting brightness, volume, etc seems broken. Really, don't expect much of anything to work. Google has changed several things under the hood, and I haven't really customized this app for Glass beyond just making it work. It is kind of neat seeing the About screen though.

Is your Launchy still working after the XE12 update?

dpw13
Old
(Last edited by dpw13; 19th December 2013 at 05:25 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Yep, seems to be working fine.

* Update: I should note that I built Launchy from source this past weekend, and I don't use it through the settings card; I use it by either saying "ok glass, run an app" or by tapping on the clock and scrolling to "Run an App".

Sent from my HTC Vision using xda app-developers app

banq81991
Old
Thanks Meter 1
deleted.I was totally off topic

Jaredsburrows
Old
Thanks Meter 60
Default Adding to my Repo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpw13 View Post

Hello, I have tested this application out and it works very well with Google Glass! Thank you so much for this, I will be sure to add this to my Open Source Google Glass Development Repository: https://github.com/jaredsburrows/OpenQuartz

I'll make sure to keep a link to this thread for updates!