Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,713 Members 39,291 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Upgrade to Kitkat without loosing data/root? Or reroot after?

Tip us?

ManUtdRul3
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Default [Q] Upgrade to Kitkat without loosing data/root? Or reroot after?

Hi, can I upgrade my Note 3 to KitKat without losing any of my data? I'm on stock 4.3, build number has MJ6, baseband has MJ4?

Can I do this a) without loosing root or; b) and re-root afterwards? If so, how?

Thanks.

jaythenut
Old
Thanks Meter 1486
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManUtdRul3 View Post
Hi, can I upgrade my Note 3 to KitKat without losing any of my data? I'm on stock 4.3, build number has MJ6, baseband has MJ4?

Can I do this a) without loosing root or; b) and re-root afterwards? If so, how?

Thanks.
it will be a factory reset so have to backup
i think you can root with this http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2466423

radicalisto
Old
(Last edited by radicalisto; 13th January 2014 at 06:58 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1399

DONATE TO ME
Quote:

Thanks.
Yes to not losing data. You will lose root, and you can easily re-root with CF-Autoroot afterwards.

EDIT @jaythenut beat me... I didn't factory wipe, i just dirty flashed over mine.. worked fine (well after the third atempt)

OH MATE, I TAKE IT ALL BACK, JUST SEEN YOUR USERNAME hahaha #COYG!!
// LG G3 (D855) // Stock // Stock //

S3(White) > M7(Red) > Note 3(Black) > Nexus 5(Black) > M8(Gunmetal) > LG G3 (Titan Grey)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to radicalisto For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ManUtdRul3
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaythenut View Post
it will be a factory reset so have to backup
i think you can root with this http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2466423
Quote:
Originally Posted by radicalisto View Post
Yes to not losing data. You will lose root, and you can easily re-root with CF-Autoroot afterwards.

EDIT @jaythenut beat me... I didn't factory wipe, i just dirty flashed over mine.. worked fine (well after the third atempt)
Hmm okay. This is the official leak for KitKat right? Did you flash it through recovery?

radicalisto
Old
Thanks Meter 1399

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Hmm okay. This is the official leak for KitKat right? Did you flash it through recovery?
Needs flashed via PC-ODIN due to the bootloader needing to be upgraded.

And Yuhs that is the right KK - XEO and OXX are identical.

S3(White) > M7(Red) > Note 3(Black) > Nexus 5(Black) > M8(Gunmetal) > LG G3 (Titan Grey)
The Following User Says Thank You to radicalisto For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ManUtdRul3
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Needs flashed via PC-ODIN due to the bootloader needing to be upgraded.

And Yuhs that is the right KK - XEO and OXX are identical.
Wait so how did you do it without wiping data? I might just do it and wipe data since it's too much effort otherwise haha.

Also,

That is all
The Following User Says Thank You to ManUtdRul3 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

radicalisto
Old
Thanks Meter 1399

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Wait so how did you do it without wiping data? I might just do it and wipe data since it's too much effort otherwise haha.

Also,

That is all

My data was intact when I got it fired up, dunno why. ---- aren't Man U 8th now? Manchester is blue now lol

ManUtdRul3
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
My data was intact when I got it fired up, dunno why. ---- aren't Man U 8th now? Manchester is blue now lol
I guess I'll just wipe the data anyway. It won't take that long to restore it, especially considering my broadband was finally installed today!

Nope, 7th (as if it's miles better!), but here, you'll like this: http://www.sincearsenallastwonatrophy.co.uk/
The Following User Says Thank You to ManUtdRul3 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

radicalisto
Old
Thanks Meter 1399

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
I guess I'll just wipe the data anyway. It won't take that long to restore it, especially considering my broadband was finally installed today!

Nope, 7th (as if it's miles better!), but here, you'll like this: http://www.sincearsenallastwonatrophy.co.uk/
lol, yeah seen that site before... I have the great fortune of living with two Spud fans and a Liverpool fan...

Yeah data wipes aren't too bad, especially as the play store restores your apps for you now.. just gotta log back into a few is all