[Q] LG G2 Proximity Sensor causing me problems!

Search This thread

catfish90

Jun 5, 2010
Hello all, I know this issue has been raised before but there hasn't been a fix. I'm currently facing trouble putting my G2 in a waterproof ziploc bag because of the proximity sensor. It detects that something is in front of the phone and doesn't allow me to turn it on. I can't knock-knock to turn it on. The moment I turn it on using the back button the screen will time-out. This is a feature of the phone, not a defect. I want to know how to disable it. Please, if anyone knows how to do it, tell me! Your help will be much appreciated!

Edit: if you want to replicate the problem try putting your finger on top of the front camera - the phone will not turn on when knock-knock

Last edited:

DornoDiosMio

Nov 28, 2012
Houston
Wierd, I just experienced what you are talking about by testing it out. If the phone is already on and being used and you cover the proximity sensor it doesn't turn off, but, if it is covered as you turn the phone on it will immediately turn itself back off. Even if you use the button and try to swipe the screen quickly it doesn't prevent the phone from turning off automatically.

Unfortunately, I am not able to help you with this problem as it is fay beyond my limited knowledge of linux/android etc. However, maybe this reply will cause someone who can help you with an easy solution.

One thing that would almost certainly fix it would be to switch to one of the alternatives rom not based on the stock LG software/kernel like Cynogen Mod or Android Open Source Project, etc. Those roms use a different kernel and also a standardized version of android that is open source. So the sensor problem will likely not be an issue, however, I believe you lose either knock on or knock off functionality with Cynogen Mod, not sure which one as I am still running LG based rom.

Some people prefer the open source alternatives to the LG rom, so, you might even like it better than the LG setup. However, it will require some effort/reading to learn how to root your phone. Then to flash your particular model of G2 with a custom recovery and then to install a rom/kernel. It is not that hard though, you just have to acquire the knowledge to avoid bricking your phone by doing something foolish.

Last edited:

catfish90

Jun 5, 2010
Wierd, I just experienced what you are talking about by testing it out. If the phone is already on and being used and you cover the proximity sensor it doesn't turn off, but, if it is covered as you turn the phone on it will immediately turn itself back off. Even if you use the button and try to swipe the screen quickly it doesn't prevent the phone from turning off automatically.

Unfortunately, I am not able to help you with this problem as it is fay beyond my limited knowledge of linux/android etc. However, maybe this reply will cause someone who can help you with an easy solution.

One thing that would almost certainly fix it would be to switch to one of the alternatives rom not based on the stock LG software/kernel like Cynogen Mod or Android Open Source Project, etc. Those roms use a different kernel and also a standardized version of android that is open source. So the sensor problem will likely not be an issue, however, I believe you lose either knock on or knock off functionality with Cynogen Mod, not sure which one as I am still running LG based rom.

Some people prefer the open source alternatives to the LG rom, so, you might even like it better than the LG setup. However, it will require some effort/reading to learn how to root your phone. Then to flash your particular model of G2 with a custom recovery and then to install a rom/kernel. It is not that hard though, you just have to acquire the knowledge to avoid bricking your phone by doing something foolish.

Thanks a lot for the tips but i think there should be a way to disable the proximity sensor on the stock rom. If all else fail then i will try and install custom rom like the ones you mentioned.

DornoDiosMio

Nov 28, 2012
Houston
Thanks a lot for the tips but i think there should be a way to disable the proximity sensor on the stock rom. If all else fail then i will try and install custom rom like the ones you mentioned.

Yes, it would have been a nice feature for them to include, I wonder if they just overlooked it. That being said, I'm not sure if there is anyway to do it on the stock rom. Hopefully for you it will be possible in time. Good luck!

catfish90

Jun 5, 2010
I can confirm that CM11 is not affected. I put it in a baggy and it will still respond to all input.

Really? That is good news! Sorry but im to custom roms - is aosp or paranoid android rom based on cm11? I believe those are one of the best custom roms for android. I might install one of them soon.

zero0422

Jul 25, 2010
Saint Paul
Really? That is good news! Sorry but im to custom roms - is aosp or paranoid android rom based on cm11? I believe those are one of the best custom roms for android. I might install one of them soon.

I think you meant AOKP? But either way, AOKP, PA, and CM are all AOSP based ROMs. Just different paths. PA has some really great features right now, but lacks a couple tiny things that keep me on CM11.

If you're looking for a no frills mostly stable ROM CM11 is probably the best choice, plus Delta updates make it pain free.

catfish90

Jun 5, 2010
I think you meant AOKP? But either way, AOKP, PA, and CM are all AOSP based ROMs. Just different paths. PA has some really great features right now, but lacks a couple tiny things that keep me on CM11.

If you're looking for a no frills mostly stable ROM CM11 is probably the best choice, plus Delta updates make it pain free.

I heard that people are having random reboots on CM11 - is it true? What are Delta updates?

greekleo89

Sep 18, 2014
Working

i have a g2 d802 and i have tried the script workaround and is fine, but when i do put the phone next to my ear the screen remains on and does not go off, is this something i can chhange?

is there another workaround?

i am using Cm11

emily.ribeiro

Sep 26, 2014
Had the same problem.

Great temporary fix: right after you unlock the screen hit the volume button once or twice. Not a permanent fix but it works for the time being.
It usually blacks back out because something is wrong with the proximity sensor next to the front camera. Either it's covered partially, dirty, a screen protector is peeling off over it, etc. I've read that some people have problems with the screen not coming back on during calls because the proximity sensor is messed up. Some said to use a high powered suction vacuum and put it up against the screen to get debris out of the cracks or simply try wiping it clean if there's something on it. Hopefully it works!

Sly_North

Nov 27, 2013

Oh god, I just permanently fixed my proximity sensor \o/

So I had the issue where the proximity sensor would detect something near it, making it hard to wake up the phone (screen getting dark after half a second, as the phone thinks it's still in my pocket) or keeping the screen dark after a call.
An app displaying the proximity sensor output was showing the sensor always reporting 0cm when it's not working, and 5cm when it's fine.
If your get "no data" in a test app, then sorry you have another issue. Probably a dead sensor. If you do get the sensor always returning an obstacle at 0cm, keep reading!

I also noticed that pressing on the screen around the sensor kind of made it work. So I thought for a while my screen was slightly off, maybe slightly unglued.

But it's the opposite: it's actually the sensor that was moving a bit, thus getting too far from the screen surface - and detecting the screen as the obstacle. Just by a ridiculously small amount.

Now THE FIX:
  • I switched off the phone, and removed the SIM and the rear door,
  • I removed the 7 screws holding the top plastic plate and buttons
  • On the rear of that plastic plate with the buttons, there's a small soft pad that pushes on the sensor to hold it against the screen: that's your target! That pad is just a tad too thin.
  • I've put a very small piece of adhesive tape (I used a slightly thick double-face white tape, maybe a tenth of a millimeter) on that pad,
  • Then I put everything back together and... the sensor now works! All the time! And the knock-on too of course.

I can't post a picture of the pad below the button assembly. But if you look for "OEM Part - AT&T LG D800 G2 (WHITE) Rear Back Housing + Buttons + Camera Lens" on ebay, and look at the 2nd picture, the pad is the fully black rectangle on the top left, on the right of the empty black rectangle and below the half-circle small opening (probably for the light sensor).

Pic of the fix: reho.st/self/cb4a29e598652f925a19f05770b6f192b09af8f5.jpg

Last edited:

murraynt

Dec 29, 2011

So I had the issue where the proximity sensor would detect something near it, making it hard to wake up the phone (screen getting dark after half a second, as the phone thinks it's still in my pocket) or keeping the screen dark after a call.
An app displaying the proximity sensor output was showing the sensor always reporting 0cm when it's not working, and 5cm when it's fine.
If your get "no data" in a test app, then sorry you have another issue. Probably a dead sensor. If you do get the sensor always returning an obstacle at 0cm, keep reading!

I also noticed that pressing on the screen around the sensor kind of made it work. So I thought for a while my screen was slightly off, maybe slightly unglued.

But it's the opposite: it's actually the sensor that was moving a bit, thus getting too far from the screen surface - and detecting the screen as the obstacle. Just by a ridiculously small amount.

Now THE FIX:
  • On the rear of that plastic plate with the buttons, there's a small soft pad that pushes on the sensor to hold it against the screen: that's your target! That pad is just a tad too thin.
  • I've put a very small piece of adhesive tape (I used a slightly thick double-face white tape, maybe a tenth of a millimeter) on that pad,
  • Then I put everything back together and... the sensor now works! All the time! And the knock-on too of course.

I can't post a picture of the pad below the button assembly. But if you look for "OEM Part - AT&T LG D800 G2 (WHITE) Rear Back Housing + Buttons + Camera Lens" on ebay, and look at the 2nd picture, the pad is the fully black rectangle on the top left, on the right of the empty black rectangle and below the half-circle small opening (probably for the light sensor).

I just want to pop in and say thanks for this fix. It really helped. :good:

devajmalkhan

Mar 28, 2015
proximity sensor issue

i had the same issue for my lg g2 . when i searched the internet for solution , all i got was to install proximity sensor disablers , rooting apps to disable them . i have solved the issue interms of hardware . the solution goes :

1 . go watch a youtube video of teardown of lg g2
2. in the video there will be showing a plug that connects the sensor to the circuit board.
3 . pick up a screw driver , open the casing of ur phone
4. unplug the connection between the board and the sensor
5. put everything right back
6 PROBLEMO SOLVED BAYBE :D

thank me :D:cool::cool::cool::cool:

felipunk

Dec 19, 2010
Big Thanks!!!

Now THE FIX:

After almost a week trying to solve this, your answer hit right on the spot! I found it funny how the roms not based on stock LG's are not affected by this issue, but all of the LG's ones (I've tried 4 LG's stock roms and CloudyG2) so I've always assume this was a SW issue (and probably can be addressed via SW) so when I get to your answer saying that could be fix tearing the phone apart I was reluctant to do so, but as I've told you guys I was desperate. On a sidenote, the Stock JB ROM is not affected by this, but it is death slow for this times.

BTW, I've wanted to have a ROM that had the LG's camera app (any version) since the ones that came on the CM ROMs wasn't really good enough for my taste, so now I'm rocking the CloudyG2 3.2 ROM with any issues so far.

Your fix gave my phone some solid 6 more moths of life! (at least!) THANK YOU!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Now THE FIX: