Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Cant or dont know how to flash a kernel?

OP cmlusco

13th January 2014, 09:34 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Michigan City, IN
Thanks Meter: 932

3,146 posts
Donate to Me
More
Hello everyone. I am new to the HTC One (m7wlv) but not new to htc or rooting/flashing etc. I am s-off and my bootloader is unlocked, and i am running the stock rom rooted and debloated. I want to get a custom kernel on here, but i cant seem to get any to stick. By that i mean i have tried several, and they all flash with no errors. But when i reboot, the kernel is still stock and unchanged. I have tried all three different recoveries, ive tried regular flashing and flashing with htc dumlock. What am i missing here? Can you not use a custom kernel with a stock rooted rom? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
13th January 2014, 09:52 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 2,254

6,542 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmlusco

Hello everyone. I am new to the HTC One (m7wlv) but not new to htc or rooting/flashing etc. I am s-off and my bootloader is unlocked, and i am running the stock rom rooted and debloated. I want to get a custom kernel on here, but i cant seem to get any to stick. By that i mean i have tried several, and they all flash with no errors. But when i reboot, the kernel is still stock and unchanged. I have tried all three different recoveries, ive tried regular flashing and flashing with htc dumlock. What am i missing here? Can you not use a custom kernel with a stock rooted rom? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

can you link the rom and kernel you are trying?

welcome to the One. i remember your avatar from the OG Inc days i believe. ^_^
The Following User Says Thank You to synisterwolf For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th January 2014, 10:14 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Michigan City, IN

3,146 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

The rom is just the ota 2.10.605.1 that i rooted and debloated.

obone http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2539041, is the latest kernel ive tried. I tried a few others i found, but i cant remember which ones. Not to many kernels to choose from on sense 4.3. Any other kernels you know of that i could try?

Yes i was pretty active on the incredible. Unforrunatley it took a crap finally so i decided to go for the one. Thanks for replying.
13th January 2014, 10:29 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Flag NorCal
Thanks Meter: 12,029

7,638 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

The rom is just the ota 2.10.605.1 that i rooted and debloated.

obone http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2539041, is the latest kernel ive tried. I tried a few others i found, but i cant remember which ones. Not to many kernels to choose from on sense 4.3. Any other kernels you know of that i could try?

Yes i was pretty active on the incredible. Unforrunatley it took a crap finally so i decided to go for the one. Thanks for replying.

You need an insecure Boot.img in your current rom, to allow it to be overwritten.
My Stock rom has an insecure Boot.img in it.
You could fastboot flash that Boot.Img and then flash the custom one.
You should be able to just fastboot flash the new kernel, if it is packed into a Boot.Img.(most custom kernels aren't)
If it's packed in Anykernel style, then you will have to repack it into a Boot.img from your rom, or do what I suggested above and then flash it.
Essentially you are on an unrooted, secure stock Boot.Img that will not allow for the kernel to be overwritten.
Chances are, that the modules did flash though and you probably ended up just breaking wifi...and maybe more.
Last edited by santod040; 13th January 2014 at 10:33 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to santod040 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th January 2014, 10:31 PM   |  #5  
Flag Spokane
Thanks Meter: 827

2,056 posts
More
How are you going about flashing a kernel?
13th January 2014, 10:36 PM   |  #6  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 2,254

6,542 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by santod040

You need an insecure Boot.img in your current rom, to allow it to be overwritten.
My Stock rom has an insecure Boot.img in it.
You could fastboot flash that Boot.Img and then flash the custom one.
You should be able to just fastboot flash the new kernel, if it is packed into a Boot.Img.(most custom kernels aren't)
If it's packed in Anykernel style, then you will have to repack it into a Boot.img from your rom, or do what I suggested above and then flash it.
Essentially you are on an unrooted, secure stock Boot.Img that will not allow for the kernel to be overwritten.
Chances are, that the modules did flash though and you probably ended up just breaking wifi...and maybe more.

Couldnt have said it better myself. tank you santod.

i would recommend backup up user data and flash Santod debloat stock 4.3 and everything should be good from there.
The Following User Says Thank You to synisterwolf For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th January 2014, 10:46 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Michigan City, IN

3,146 posts
Donate to Me
More
Thank you guys. Im off to try it out now.
13th January 2014, 11:49 PM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Michigan City, IN

3,146 posts
Donate to Me
More
Thanks again guys. I fastboot flashed the boot.img from your rom, and then the kernel and it worked. Time to tinker with some settings.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread