Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,536 Members 52,930 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] MK2 Modem FAIL'S on Odin

Tip us?

Thibor69
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 169

DONATE TO ME

Hey MisterJunky,

Yes I was pretty certain that modem.bin does NOT need to be tar'd or zipped, so you also confirmed this.
Well that then leads us to a DEAD END. Since I am doing it EXACTLY the way you discribe it (with Modem.bin)
I don't know what else could be wrong. You quoted / replied to Shinyside's theory which is fine, but didn't
really reply to my thoughts .... I was wondering if it could be a issue with my ROM which is a 4.3 ROM. Although I think it doesn't matter .. ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thibor69
I think the only difference is that I am running a different ROM than you mention, but you do say:

1) You can Odin flash the MK2 modem.bin while on any Jellybean Touchwiz 4.2.2 based rom
2) Or ODIN flash it after flashing the Infamous v9, Wicked v9.1, or any M919 MK2 JB based
Touchwiz 4.3 roms. Either way it makes no difference.

Now since I am running DARTHSTALKER S4 ☆ | VERSION X1 | Aroma | Multi-Carrier | 12.29.2013
( This ROM Is Based On The T-Mobile UVUEMK2 4.3 Base )

Option #1) does not apply to me ... BUT ... option #2) DOES apply to me and this ROM since DarthStalker is 4.3 based.
So I should be able to just Odin flash Modem.bin via your steps correct ?? Or am I wrong ?
ALSO ... just so you all know. Mobile Odin DOES NOT RUN on a USA T-Mobile Galaxy 4 phone. Mobile Odin has documented this fact.

Any other suggestions guys ????

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterjunky View Post
The actual MODEM.BIN file is what needs to be loaded into Odin's "PHONE" tab/slot.

It should also work if it's a TAR file but it's best to flash it as modem.bin, that way there
is less of a chance of having a TAR file which might be or become corrupt.

The nice part about TAR or ZIP files is that we can flash multiple files in one flashing.
But if there is only one file which needs to be flashed (modem.bin) it's always best just
to flash the one file without adding compression or other changes to it.

TAR files are similar to ZIP files, they compress whatever files are inside of them
to a smaller size, but in doing so there is more of a chance that the file inside the TAR
or ZIP getting corrupted.

That's why I simply posted the modem.bin to be used by Odin, less chance of problems.

TRANSFORMER INFiNiTY CROMBi--KK [CM11][KK] 4.4.4
SAMSUNG GALAXY TAB 3 10.1" PiMP DROiD [JB] 4.2.2
GALAXY S4 TMOBILE M919 GNF1 SiCKNESS ROM V.1 . [JB] 4.4.2

ShinySide
Old
Thanks Meter 1528
Yeah I've never heard of anyone not taring items for Odin. Weird but if it works it works.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 04:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:07 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thibor69 View Post

Hey MisterJunky,

Yes I was pretty certain that modem.bin does NOT need to be tar'd or zipped, so you also confirmed this.
Well that then leads us to a DEAD END. Since I am doing it EXACTLY the way you discribe it (with Modem.bin)
I don't know what else could be wrong. You quoted / replied to Shinyside's theory which is fine, but didn't
really reply to my thoughts .... I was wondering if it could be a issue with my ROM which is a 4.3 ROM. Although I think it doesn't matter .. ?

ALSO ... just so you all know. Mobile Odin DOES NOT RUN on a USA T-Mobile Galaxy 4 phone. Mobile Odin has documented this fact.

Thank you
It's your bootloader rejecting it.

Do you have mobile Odin? It actually skips or over rides or doesn't get stopped by the bootloader verification.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Donations Accepted here

Don't change your wants or where you want to be just because the other has.

shiamatsu
Old
(Last edited by shiamatsu; 13th January 2014 at 03:34 AM.)
Thanks Meter 189
Quote:
I am having trouble updating my modem to the new MK2. I have tried several times following the instructions
found in various places here on XDA, but nothing works.

Custom ROM: DARTHSTALKER S4 v.X1 (MK2 & MDL Compliant)
Android version: 4.3 <<<<---- Is this a problem Im on 4.3 ?
Baseband: M919UVUAMDL
Kernel: 3.4.0-g4fe9989-dirty.joy23 #1
SELinux status: Permissive

This is what I am doing to try to update modem.....

1. Open Odin on PC (Mobile Odin doesn't run on G4 T-Mobile.LTE USA)
2. Uncheck Auto-Reboot / Load Modem.bin in the phone tab
3. Boot the phone into Download Mode via power & vol down
4. Plug USB into PC and PHONE
5. I see the BIG GREEN DROID

In the upper left corner of the phone, in tiny font it says:
  • PRODUCT NAME: SGH-M919
  • CURRENT BINARY: Custom
  • SYSTEM STATUS: Custom
  • CSB-OEM_CONFIG_LSB: 0x30
  • WRITE PROTECTION: Enable

Back on Odin now.....
The ID:COM tab in Odin turns blue and looks good to go. I click on "START".
The bar above ID:COM slowly fills with green. BUT when it is finished, the box above the ID:COM
turns RED and says FAILED !!.

### SEE PICTURE BELLOW ###

Back on the phone the tiny print in the upper left corner now says:

ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME: SGH-M919
CURRENT BINARY: Custom
SYSTEM STATUS: Custom
CSB-OEM_CONFIG_LSB: 0x30
WRITE PROTECTION: Enable

START [224,1440]
SECURE CHECK FAIL : NDN

Why is it failing ??? Is it because I am on a 4.3 ROM ?
Please help me ....
Thanks

I've already posted a possible solution on my thread, but just in case, I'll repost it here: "Hm...I'm going to guess that it's maybe the Odin version that's affecting it? Here, try flashing using this version of Odin here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/1ap3sg0e2215ga6/Odin3.rar."

alextop30
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:

Hey MisterJunky,

Thank you
I just checked the supported devices of Mobile Odin in the thread by Chainfire and it seems that the SGH - M919 - which is the T-Mobile variant of the galaxy s4 is supported http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1347899

Can you please link the documentation that you cannot flash the modem using that tool - I just want to read it before I go flash something again and end up softbricking my device.

As for my comment that pertains to the rest of the post - I just cannot understand how it worked for so many people using Odin from your computer and now it seems like it just does not flash for anyone that has recently attempted to update the modems!

Misterjunky
Old
Thanks Meter 2250

DONATE TO ME
Thumbs up re: try this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextop30 View Post
I just checked the supported devices of Mobile Odin in the thread by Chainfire and it seems that the SGH - M919 - which is the T-Mobile variant of the galaxy s4 is supported http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1347899

Can you please link the documentation that you cannot flash the modem using that tool - I just want to read it before I go flash something again and end up softbricking my device.

As for my comment that pertains to the rest of the post - I just cannot understand how it worked for so many people using Odin from your computer and now it seems like it just does not flash for anyone that has recently attempted to update the modems!
Why not try this, but before you do if you have a working rom in your phone right now
be sure to make a nandroid backup in recovery before trying the following:

Go into recovery and do a "Factory Reset" and wipe data/cache/system/dalvik cache.
Then shut down the phone, wait 20 seconds or so after shutting it down and boot back
up into Download mode and try Odin again...............

There is a 50/50 chance it will work.

Good luck!
Have a great day, enjoy!

Don't forget it takes less time to click the "THANKS" button than to type "thank you".
(unless you type very fast).

Thibor69
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 169

DONATE TO ME
Quote:

Huh .... I bought the app last night and returned for a refund, BUT this looks like a newer version then the one I had... allthough the update of Mobile Odin is from Nov. it looks like a different version ... how can that be. ANyway I will try this version tomorrow and let you know if it fails .... Thank you !!

Hi Shiamatsu -
Thank you for the link to that version of PC Odin. I will try that in the morning also.
I follow your post ... sorry I missed that !! Thanks

Hi MisterJunky -
Thanks for the idea. I will try that as my final attempt if the above 2 things dont work out for me.

Thanks all !!!!

Thibor69
Old
(Last edited by Thibor69; 13th January 2014 at 05:57 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 169

DONATE TO ME
Quote:

Well I guess it is not the phone that wont run Odin, but seems that Odin Mobile Pro does not like Android 4.3

### SEE PICTURE ####

I am now searching for a FlashKernel for this phone.

Need FlashKernel for T-Mobile SGH-M919 running on Android 4.3 ROM. If you happen to find one, please share !!!! )

ThaNKS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-01-13-10-41-11.png
Views:	29
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	2513196  

Thibor69
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 169

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiamatsu View Post
I've already posted a possible solution on my thread, but just in case, I'll repost it here: "Hm...I'm going to guess that it's maybe the Odin version that's affecting it? Here, try flashing using this version of Odin here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/1ap3sg0e2215ga6/Odin3.rar."

Thanks but sorry it is still a NO GO with that version of ODIN.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-01-13_115403.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	2513389  

Vigz
Old
(Last edited by Vigz; 14th January 2014 at 02:07 AM.)
Thanks Meter 27
Alright before flashing the MK2 modem via Download Mode, try resetting the binary counter using an app called Triangle Away (its located here on xda developers). Once you install the app, please follow the instructions given. You need to be on a TouchWiz rom with a stock Samsung kernel (best way is to Odin to stock 4.2.2 MDL). This is something that I read from Chainfire's Google+ page which may be the solution:

"Still, the binary status needs to be official and the counter 0 on recent bootloaders if you want to do fun things like flash modems with for example Mobile ODIN (update coming as well). Otherwise the bootloader will mark those regions of the flash storage as protected, and they cannot be written to (causing freezes and whatnot)."

Give it a try and see what happens. The 4.2.2 bootloader isn't recent. But, who knows?
The Following User Says Thank You to Vigz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

alextop30
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Thibor69 did resetting the counter work to flash the modem successfully?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk