Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,951 Members 52,843 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] I need help - phone won't boot after update

Tip us?

android_ace
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Default [Q] I need help - phone won't boot after update

I'm hoping someone can help me. I have a rooted, unlocked E-980 with ATT. I am NOT running a custom ROM. I woke up this morning, looked at my phone and noticed in the notification window something about an available update. Being half asleep and not expecting any issues I did not pay attention to the pop up box and simply clicked update. My phone immediately rebooted and went into recovery which I now cannot get out of. I even tried restoring to a backup from a couple months ago and the phone will not boot up. Has anyone ran into similar issues today and/or know how to fix this? Any help is greatly appreciated.

SDChargerGurl
Old
(Last edited by SDChargerGurl; 12th January 2014 at 10:14 PM.)
Thanks Meter 8
I actually had the same issue... I tried restoring from backups & it will boot up then go back to recovery... The way i got out of it was factory restore using lg flash tool method & re rooting...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2432476

Sent from my LG-E980 using XDA Premium HD app
The Following User Says Thank You to SDChargerGurl For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

deadenz
Old
Thanks Meter 75

DONATE TO ME
I hear the new update is unrootable
LG G FLEX

MythicBlue
Old
Thanks Meter 9
No it's not currently rootable but if you root before the update then you keep root but you will sift brick if you have custom recovery.... I restored to stock...rooted...applied the update then did freegee to install cwm... I'm now rooted with custom recovery and have the update...

Sent from my LG-E980 using xda app-developers app

gellin
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Same thing happened to me. I kept trying to dodge the update, and kept checking the forums to see if anyone had posted about it. Well I guess I accidentally clicked update, or it decided to do it for me. Now all I can get into is freegee cwm recovery.

android_ace
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Thanks for the advise! I'll try the back to stock option. I do have one additional question - Is there a way to get a backup file off the phone if it only boots into recovery? Prior to wiping my phone I did a backup in CWM and I can see the backups in CWM. Is there a way to get that backup file off the phone?

SDChargerGurl
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Did you do the backup & save it to your memory card or the phone memory?