5,598,233 Members 47,153 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Any messenger wants your phone number and steal your contacts?

Tip us?

lieutenant_broccoli
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thumbs down [Q] Any messenger wants your phone number and steal your contacts?

No idea if I'm in the right section.

I am using an Note 2 for a few month and now I was interested in installing a messenger. I knew before that I would never use whatsapp because it is copying your contacts list and that is something I don't like.

So I was looking around and it seems, virtually every messenger wants to have my phone number or access to my contacts list.

It is really annoying when someone ask me "do you have whatsapp / do you have line messenger" and I all I can reply is "no, I would be forced to give out my phone number and/or send all my contact to some faceless major corporation"

Now you would ask "why did you get an android phone in the first place?", well... because my 3 year old phone felt very slow (1 touch on an icon, wait 1-2 seconds until something happened) and very restricted with audio and video support.
The hardware on this new phone is just perfect, no complaints at all. I also never registered to google play and have no plans in ever doing so.

So why is every messenger so interested in my personal information? I don't want to share this. Is there an alternative that is not so interested in your personal information?
I am on the internet since 2000 and haven't given my phone number to any company since, why should I start now?

I won't.

Riz Danny
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I think u should have another number for it,for bussines or soc med purpose only

Sent from my Lenovo A390_ROW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

lieutenant_broccoli
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
You mean get a pre paid phone and use that number?
Still it has my phone number which is tied to my personal address.

Riz Danny
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Not new phone but new sim card i mean

Sent from my i 8450 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
the_pirate_predator Old
Thanks Meter
Default Answer

If you don't want to give your phone number to any applications,

then you better say that you don't have a online chat/message service installed

There are apps available online to make a lock in whatsapp so that no one can view it except you.