5,604,219 Members 49,125 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[I9505G] MicroSD app compatibility

Tip us?

jaykresge
Old
(Last edited by jaykresge; 12th January 2014 at 10:10 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 391
Default [I9505G] MicroSD app compatibility

UPDATE: Google's API changes to KitKat means the following, as per Google:
  • An application may request broad read-oonly permissions for external storage. This means that the application will be able to read the MicroSD only.
  • Applications cannot obtain permission to write to external storage. This means that file managers cannot edit/create/delete files on MicroSD anymore. This is a casualty of a change meant for security.
  • With or without requested permission for external storage, an application may now modify conents of its assigned folder on external storage (IE, /android/data). This allows an application to offload content to external storage if the storage is considered "permanent," Ie, MicroSD is considered permanent while OTG is not.

The benefits to this change means that applications required less tweaking to offload their data to external storage. We saw this with the recent Google Music update (and I'm loving that). Even now, it seems updates to recent Google applications are preparing to utilize this functionality. Google's camera.apk has taken up residence on my MicroSD so I suspect that a future update will allow you to store to external storage.

The downsides are that file managers cannot make use of MicroSD anymore, aside from reading the contents. Consider it collateral damage.

jaykresge
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 391
-reserved-

toastido
Old
Thanks Meter 80

DONATE TO ME
Titanium backup. Requires external SD permissions.xml fix to be able to store there.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

jaykresge
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 391
ES doesn't work. If you delete a folder, it will show as deleted. Exit and come back, and the folder remains. Cannot edit or create a folder (in MicroSD).

jaykresge
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 391
Bump. OP now has full explanation of what's going on.

umberto.sulla
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykresge View Post
UPDATE: Google's API changes to KitKat means the following, as per Google:
  • An application may request broad read-oonly permissions for external storage. This means that the application will be able to read the MicroSD only.
  • Applications cannot obtain permission to write to external storage. This means that file managers cannot edit/create/delete files on MicroSD anymore. This is a casualty of a change meant for security.
  • With or without requested permission for external storage, an application may now modify conents of its assigned folder on external storage (IE, /android/data). This allows an application to offload content to external storage if the storage is considered "permanent," Ie, MicroSD is considered permanent while OTG is not.

The benefits to this change means that applications required less tweaking to offload their data to external storage. We saw this with the recent Google Music update (and I'm loving that). Even now, it seems updates to recent Google applications are preparing to utilize this functionality. Google's camera.apk has taken up residence on my MicroSD so I suspect that a future update will allow you to store to external storage.

The downsides are that file managers cannot make use of MicroSD anymore, aside from reading the contents. Consider it collateral damage.

Reading from Android Developer new API changes tha way you read and write from External Sd card... but if your app has WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission it should be able to write your ext sd card without problems.
This means that current apps (and File Managers) should be updated to support kitkat API level 9 and obtain WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission.

public static final String WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE

Added in API level 4
Allows an application to write to external storage.

Note: If both your minSdkVersion and targetSdkVersion values are set to 3 or lower, the system implicitly grants your app this permission. If you don't need this permission, be sure your targetSdkVersion is 4 or higher.

Starting in API level 19, this permission is not required to read/write files in your application-specific directories returned by getExternalFilesDir(String) and getExternalCacheDir().

Constant Value: "android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE"

API level 19 is kitkat code....