[Q] i717 Running really slow & Questions

Tip us?

Achan99
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] i717 Running really slow & Questions

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new here, as in I don't normally post but I've been part of the community doing things to my android devices for a while. I am definitely not completely a noob, as I have flashed several phones all successfully. However I am trumped with my current situation.

I have a Galaxy Note i717 and currently is flashed with Padawan JB V4. It is a sweet ROM so thanks to those developers for pulling this through for the community. Anyways here is my problem ~ It runs particularly slow. Everything takes 4 or 5 seconds to load..simple things like loading the keyboard take that time and it gets really frustrating.

I have searched and searched to no avail, except for one forum post which said you have to do a factory reset right before doing any rom flashes. Now this piece of advice is on every ROM page, every user must have seen those words before as well. I definitely did not forget to reset my phone prior to doing the upgrade. So I am certain it is not the lack of a factory reset which is causing my phone these slow problems. With all this in mind, I have overclocked my phone using Trickster Mod, it helps a little bit, but gets slow again over time.

Here are my questions.
- If I installed a different Kernel, could my phone operate at all faster?
- Is Padawan V4 slow for everyone else and that is just the way life is going to be for my Galaxy Note?
- Do you guys have anything to suggest.

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate your help.

captemo
Old
Thanks Meter 874
Alright so after reading your title I already knew what Rom you were running.

Padawan is one of the 2 Touchwiz rooms out there. Notorious for leading people to post about lag or running slow. The Trickster mod can be tricky the first time or two. The Touchwiz rooms may not quite be as snappy as some others available with 4.3 or 4.4 but a very solid Rom in itself.

First thing I will suggest is disable the ripple effect in your lock screen options. That alone will most likely take care of 60+% of your issue.
You may be new here, don't know you post count. even if you can't post in development yet, you can still read. I would now steer you in the direction of the Padawan thread and more specifically p355- p378ish. There you will find many such as myself trying to get these exact same issues resolved. After that my phone had never ran better.

You really don't need an alternate kernel in my opinion. Many fell back on that option running 4.2 rooms which were notorious for reboots and an alternate kernel was a sort of hands-on to remedy issue.

If we can get your post count up and get you posting in development, you will find many helpful people. Don't get you feathers ruffled though on the occasional smart a@@ response. 98% of it is in good fun, but not everyone takes it that way.

Hope this helps.
Any more questions or comments only counts toward your post count right?

Sent from my K00F using xda app-developers app
CAPT. EMO Senior Member
Samsung Infuse i997.......retired
Samsung Galaxy Note i717.......semi retired
Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 i527.......active duty

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to captemo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Achan99
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Hey Captemo thanks for your reading redirection. They should be putting all those settings up on the main page of the Padawan files. It would make life so much easier

So I got my Note working pretty decently well...then I went out and purchased the Note 3. The Note 3 is wild compared to the Note 1, so many newer features. Pretty amazing.

Thanks again!
The Following User Says Thank You to Achan99 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

captemo
Old
Thanks Meter 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achan99 View Post
Hey Captemo thanks for your reading redirection. They should be putting all those settings up on the main page of the Padawan files. It would make life so much easier

So I got my Note working pretty decently well...then I went out and purchased the Note 3. The Note 3 is wild compared to the Note 1, so many newer features. Pretty amazing.

Thanks again!
The Trickster mod is not specific to the Padawan rom, it is just the first place that I actually saw it. I think thread is only going to detail what developer actually made himself, but a seperate thread would probably be good idea.

Congrats on Note 3, I hear it is decent. Myself have just got a Mega 6.3, but I am going to stick around here too. Some good folk here, if you cant take a good jab to the ribs every once in a while.

Thanks for posting that you have solution, many dont and it leaves people hanging.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using xda app-developers app
CAPT. EMO Senior Member

The Following User Says Thank You to captemo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

butchieboy
Old
Thanks Meter 236
Captemo..
Great to see people here willing to help other then slamming people...i have gotten quite a few slams here myself..lol. hat off to you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 11:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 AM ----------

Lol I have so many jabs my ribs hurt...im on Note 3 now but cant stop coming back to my OG Note..the roms and people here are great

The Following User Says Thank You to butchieboy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

captemo
Old
Thanks Meter 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by butchieboy View Post
Captemo..
Great to see people here willing to help other then slamming people...i have gotten quite a few slams here myself..lol. hat off to you.

---------- Post added at 11:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 AM ----------

Lol I have so many jabs my ribs hurt...im on Note 3 now but cant stop coming back to my OG Note..the roms and people here are great

I have slammed many myself, one of those shots to the ribs may have been me. However it is how you express yourself. The OP on this I could tell was new and sounded as if he did try and figure out himself. He was also limited to where he could post.
I am partial to the Padawan thread as that it where I learned so much from the regulars there.

Thanks for the compliment my friend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using xda app-developers app
CAPT. EMO Senior Member

The Following User Says Thank You to captemo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

chickenla
Old
Thanks Meter 5
After playing with a huge load of JB roms, I have decided to revert back to ICS and boy was it the best decision I have ever made. Not even going try playing around with kit kat based roms since I don't have the time right now. My gut feeling is telling me 4.4.2 won't perform well either.

Only reason I started playing around with the roms is because when i first bought the phone used a couple months ago, it was using JB as well. Thought built in TRIM with 4.3 would help but of course it didn't.

Not a fan of CM9 due to the bugs so I lack a lot customisation atm with my 4.0.4 but it does the trick, silky smooth as well. Root access gives enough customization for my usage anyway.

Anyhow that's my 2 cents. If you want a fast and reliable device, go back to ICS. It sort of sucked at first when you realize everything your missing out with one of the community based roms but sooner or later you get used to it.