Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,670 Members 44,643 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Silly question?!?!? Can I make an application debuggable without root?

Tip us?

Sailing_Nut
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Question [Q] Silly question?!?!? Can I make an application debuggable without root?

Hi all,

I'm guessing that the answer to my question is "you can't you fool!" but I wanted to ask anyway.

Is there any way to make an application debuggable without having a rooted device and without having access to the actual code itself.

As I was writing this I realized that there is another possible "solution" can I make an application debuggable on a rooted device and then somehow move that application onto a non-rooted device?

Thanks!
the_pirate_predator Old
Thanks Meter 0
Angry Silly Answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing_Nut View Post
Hi all,

I'm guessing that the answer to my question is "you can't you fool!" but I wanted to ask anyway.

Is there any way to make an application debuggable without having a rooted device and without having access to the actual code itself.

As I was writing this I realized that there is another possible "solution" can I make an application debuggable on a rooted device and then somehow move that application onto a non-rooted device?

Thanks!
It is absolutely not possible for non-rooted devices as far as I know. By rooting, you will attain privileged control over the device that you are using. This attainment makes it possible to make an application debuggable in a rooted device.

I ask a simple question: What don't you root?

You will love your device after rooting.

Instead of looking impossible solutions for non-rooted device, you can root your device and start debugging in it.

Sailing_Nut
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pirate_predator View Post
It is absolutely not possible for non-rooted devices as far as I know. By rooting, you will attain privileged control over the device that you are using. This attainment makes it possible to make an application debuggable in a rooted device.

I ask a simple question: What don't you root?

You will love your device after rooting.

Instead of looking impossible solutions for non-rooted device, you can root your device and start debugging in it.
Well maybe I should have asked another question because this device was rooted but I lost root in an OTA update. I didn't want to go back to rooting it because of loosing all of my settings but my feeble mind just remembered that unlocking the boot loader is the part that wipes the device (right?) so I should be able to re-root the device.

Any good articles I should read on re-rooting after loosing it due to an OTA update? (Other than just googling for stuff. )

hnkotnis
Old
Thanks Meter 434
Location: Sangli, Maharashtra, India, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Galaxy Group,Universe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing_Nut View Post
Well maybe I should have asked another question because this device was rooted but I lost root in an OTA update. I didn't want to go back to rooting it because of loosing all of my settings but my feeble mind just remembered that unlocking the boot loader is the part that wipes the device (right?) so I should be able to re-root the device.

Any good articles I should read on re-rooting after loosing it due to an OTA update? (Other than just googling for stuff. )
After you root your device and unlock boot loader, download any advanced root App manager (Ultimate Backup/ ROM Toolbox) and freeze Software Update (2 apps in Samsung). It will never bother to notify and never OTA update.

Sent from my GT-S5360 Gadget of Mass Destruction using xda-app
Using CWM........Busybox Commands........No I use my hands

hnkotnis
Old
Thanks Meter 434
Location: Sangli, Maharashtra, India, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Galaxy Group,Universe
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1389712077401.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	2515459

Freeze these software update apps.

Sent from my GT-S5360 Gadget of Mass Destruction using xda-app
Using CWM........Busybox Commands........No I use my hands