[Q] Re-Partitioning the SGH-I727(R)

Search This thread

xcrazydx

Feb 3, 2012
i did factory wipe before and after flashing each of the roms. As i stated above, the storage glitch occurred after installing gapps and email/exchange... i only wiped cache/dalvik after installing those two. I suppose i should have factory wiped to be safe...

The reason i came asking about repartitioning and .pit files was because i had already searched and found a dev that had created custom partition tables (pit files) but they were for a different phone. I just wondered if anyone in this forum had seen and/or created them.

If not, that's cool, but i figured I'd ask. The only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask!

It's obvious you have no idea what you're doing. If you want to brick it, cool. But don't waste our time because you're too lazy to read and learn.

"Stupid questions"
I guess they tell that to the kids these days. No wonder they're lazy and worthless to society.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Jrock_Xtreme

Sep 18, 2013
Thunder Bay, ON
It's obvious you have no idea what you're doing. If you want to brick it, cool. But don't waste our time because you're too lazy to read and learn.

"Stupid questions"
I guess they tell that to the kids these days. No wonder they're lazy and worthless to society.

Actually, I'm a 28 year old professional engineer who is gainfully employed and contributes to society each and every day. Furthermore, had you actually read my previous post, you'll note that i did do some research and reading and couldn't find what i was looking for. That's why i came to this forum looking for help. Admittedly, i don't know a ton about cellphones, but vincoms threads/stickies/roms have been very helpful. However, when I couldn't find what i was looking for, i created a thread to ask for help (which is what i thought the xda community was about?). Again, nobody is forcing you to 'waste your time' reading this, and to be completely honest, i came here looking for help and all you've been is an arrogant piece of ****. You might know more about cellphones, but i'm a better person than you'll ever be.

Mods, feel free to delete this thread, as there is no useful information contained herein. Evidently the xda community is more interested in belittling people than helping them.

Reactions: raptorddd

xcrazydx

Feb 3, 2012
Xda isn't a help desk. It is a development forum for developers.

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Guys, let's just ignore each other and not get into an argument here. OP, unfortunately asking about partitioning the sr is known by experienced members to be crazy talk. There are probably only one or two xda members that you'd actually take serious if they brought it up. You need to start small, just root and then learn from there. Next step would be flashing a rom. Take your time and learn along the way.

Reactions: Jrock_Xtreme

Jrock_Xtreme

Sep 18, 2013
Thunder Bay, ON
Xda isn't a help desk. It is a development forum for developers.

Actually there is a separate 'development' forum located here: http://xdaforums.com/s2-skyrocket/development

I posted in the 'help & troubleshooting' forum because i was looking for help.

JD, i've rooted the phone, flashed a custom rom and i'm relatively proficient in using Odin and TWRP. I had actually found a thread on xda that posted custom pit files that repartitioned the device. The dev had posted instructions on how to flash the new .pit files using odin and links to various files that adjusted both the 'system' and 'internal storage' partition sizes. Simply back everything up (because you lose everything), flash the .pit file and start from scratch. Unfortunately, as previously mentioned, this was all for a different device and I wanted to post in here to see if anybody has seen/done the same thing for the SGH-727(R).

I appreciate the genuine feedback though, it's a welcome change. Thanks!

jd1639

Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Actually there is a separate 'development' forum located here: http://xdaforums.com/s2-skyrocket/development

I posted in the 'help & troubleshooting' forum because i was looking for help.

JD, i've rooted the phone, flashed a custom rom and i'm relatively proficient in using Odin and TWRP. I had actually found a thread on xda that posted custom pit files that repartitioned the device. The dev had posted instructions on how to flash the new .pit files using odin and links to various files that adjusted both the 'system' and 'internal storage' partition sizes. Simply back everything up (because you lose everything), flash the .pit file and start from scratch. Unfortunately, as previously mentioned, this was all for a different device and I wanted to post in here to see if anybody has seen/done the same thing for the SGH-727(R).

I appreciate the genuine feedback though, it's a welcome change. Thanks!

I wouldn't flash a pit file unless it's absolutely the last resort to try and fix a bricked device. It's caused more bricks than its helped.

vincom

May 5, 2011
GB
meettomy.site
if someones read the whole thread the op did acknowledge that messing w/the partitions was a nogo after i stated as such. the reason he was asking was his 2 gig partition was being filled up(i think), apparently he did start from the begining w/odin and still had same issue. @Jrock_Xtreme did u resolve it

toyes

Aug 5, 2012
Abbotsford
if someones read the whole thread the op did acknowledge that messing w/the partitions was a nogo after i stated as such. the reason he was asking was his 2 gig partition was being filled up(i think), apparently he did start from the begining w/odin and still had same issue. @Jrock_Xtreme did u resolve it

Correct! As well he states that going back and doing a factory reset fixed the 2gig partition. @Jrock_Xtreme for future posts just remember to give as much info as possible in the op. This includes the flashing procedure, recovery version, etc... As you previous posts show you have done your research on the issue. Of course the more you search and read the better.

Back to the partitioning though. No one said that it was impossible. I'm sure it can be done, just no one has done anything like that for the skyrocket and I don't think anyone will as it is not required. It is very risky territory to be messing with partitions and such.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Jrock_Xtreme

Sep 18, 2013
Thunder Bay, ON

Yes, here are the steps taken:

1) Flash stock rom using odin.
2) Wiped everything (including internal sd, i backed up everything i needed)
3) Flash TWRP 2.6.3.0 using odin
4) Transferred radio, rom and gapps to internal sd using a PC
5) Booted to recovery, flash JB radio; wiped caches
6) Booted into recovery, full wiped, flashed @vincom Superlite CM10.2, wiped caches

At this point i booted the phone and checked the storage. 1.92gb free. Everything appeared to be resolved.

7) booted to recovery, flash gapps and email/exchange, wiped caches

Booted phone and checked storage. 430mb free. I checked the 'all' tab in 'apps' and the installed apps totaled 44mb... <--- this is what i was referring to in my original post. The 'system' partition was errantly filling up, and i didn't know why.

8) booted to recovery, full wipe

Booted phone, 1.92gb free.

So i don't know why the gapps and email/exchange glitched the storage like that, but performing a full wipe after installing the gapps/email/exchange seemed to fix it. I think the problem was that I only performed a cache wipe instead of a full wipe, though i don't know why that would matter.

Anyways, it's fixed.

Jrock_Xtreme

Sep 18, 2013
Thunder Bay, ON
Correct! As well he states that going back and doing a factory reset fixed the 2gig partition. @Jrock_Xtreme for future posts just remember to give as much info as possible in the op. This includes the flashing procedure, recovery version, etc... As you previous posts show you have done your research on the issue. Of course the more you search and read the better.

Back to the partitioning though. No one said that it was impossible. I'm sure it can be done, just no one has done anything like that for the skyrocket and I don't think anyone will as it is not required. It is very risky territory to be messing with partitions and such.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

This is pretty much all i wanted to know... whether or not someone had seen/done this on the skyrocket.

franzpimp87

Jul 9, 2012
Huawei Nexus 6P
Google Pixel XL
Hi All,

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 LTE (SGH-I727R, but the same as the SGH-I727) and was wondering how a guy would go about re-partitioning the internal storage on the phone.

The phone has 16gb of internal memory. This has been partitioned, from what I can see, into 2gb and 12gb. The 2gb 'system' partition where your OS and apps, etc are installed and the 12gb storage partition for things like photos, music, movies, etc.

I don't store anything on my phone, mostly just photos. So i have approximately 9gb of the 12gb of the 'storage' partition available. However, the 'system' partition is pretty much maxed out. I'm running Vincom's Superlite CM10.2 rom with minimal apps installed, but it says that i only have around 160mb available and I've begun to received the 'low storage space' error/notification.

I understand that I can use Odin to re-partition the device but that I require .pit files in order to do so. Furthermore, the stock .pit files wouldn't change the size of the partitions. Ideally I'd like to increase the size of my 'system' partition and reduce the size of my 'storage' partition.

Can anyone out there help me? Please let me know if you need more info from my device.

Read this: http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s2-tmobile/development/mod-partition-internal-memory-t-989-t3051556 , it succesfully works in my AT&T i727 Skyrocket.

measle

Mar 31, 2013
Pipersville
Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e
Confirmed works on Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket i727

Using instructions from this thread:
http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s2-tmobile/development/mod-partition-internal-memory-t-989-t3051556

I used file: SGH-T989-PIT(OC).pit
Flashed with ODIN 3.07
to my i272 worked perfectly:
I now have 1.23 GB System ROM
8.46 GB Internal Data
5 GB Internal SD
(+ 64 GB ext SD Card)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-05-19-10-58-52.png
    Screenshot_2015-05-19-10-58-52.png
    133.9 KB · Views: 137

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    messing around with the partitions will most likely hardbrick the device so no one would ever try doing it, the only way your system partition is filling up is if you are manually installing apps into that partition or the partition is messed up, odin back to stock, then wipe everything including preload then do a fresh install of a custom rom

"Stupid questions"

Actually, I'm a 28 year old professional engineer who is gainfully employed and contributes to society each and every day. Furthermore, had you actually read my previous post, you'll note that i did do some research and reading and couldn't find what i was looking for. That's why i came to this forum looking for help. Admittedly, i don't know a ton about cellphones, but vincoms threads/stickies/roms have been very helpful. However, when I couldn't find what i was looking for, i created a thread to ask for help (which is what i thought the xda community was about?). Again, nobody is forcing you to 'waste your time' reading this, and to be completely honest, i came here looking for help and all you've been is an arrogant piece of ****. You might know more about cellphones, but i'm a better person than you'll ever be.

Mods, feel free to delete this thread, as there is no useful information contained herein. Evidently the xda community is more interested in belittling people than helping them.
    Guys, let's just ignore each other and not get into an argument here. OP, unfortunately asking about partitioning the sr is known by experienced members to be crazy talk. There are probably only one or two xda members that you'd actually take serious if they brought it up. You need to start small, just root and then learn from there. Next step would be flashing a rom. Take your time and learn along the way.