5,606,347 Members 33,305 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Google Play Edition firmware on Non-Google Play Edition?

Tip us?

ooppee
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Google Play Edition firmware on Non-Google Play Edition?

http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=reposit..._update_kot49h

Wondering if this is possible?
I have a C6806 through Bell. It however uses the Sony Branded ROM. Would this update work or are their hardware differences which would cause a brick?

gbohm
Old
Thanks Meter 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooppee View Post
http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=reposit..._update_kot49h

Wondering if this is possible?
I have a C6806 through Bell. It however uses the Sony Branded ROM. Would this update work or are their hardware differences which would cause a brick?
Oh please read some threads in this great forum it got asked soo many times. To your question: No as of now this is not possible. And most likely making your device a regular GPe will not be possible too. A modified version of the rom will be available soonish

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk
i would if i could but i can't so i don't
if cyanogenmod has only one rule does rule 34 still apply

DtheS
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I purchased a c6806 from Bell about 3 weeks ago and would prefer to be on the GPe firmware, if possible. Under the Android development forum for the Xperia ZU, bigxie has posted a port of DooMLoRD's 4.4 ROM. With my unlockable bootloader, is it even possible for me to attempt to flash this rom? And if I do, will it mostly likely brick my device?

blueether
Old
Thanks Meter 483

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheS View Post
I purchased a c6806 from Bell about 3 weeks ago and would prefer to be on the GPe firmware, if possible. Under the Android development forum for the Xperia ZU, bigxie has posted a port of DooMLoRD's 4.4 ROM. With my unlockable bootloader, is it even possible for me to attempt to flash this rom? And if I do, will it mostly likely brick my device?
It does say unlocked in the OP of the thread, and needs either the stock GPE kernel or the modified GPE kernel. I dont believe that either will boot on a locked ZU
Charles
Alcatel One Touch "easy" -> Nokia 1110i -> Alcatel ame-408 -> Motorola Razr v3 -> Huawei u8100 -> Sony Xperia Z-Ultra

LordManhattan
Old
Thanks Meter 5450
Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheS View Post
You're on Bell which means that Bell have locked the bootloader themselves. You can't unlock your bootloader, so you can't flash custom ROMs (including GPe). This might change in the future though (if some dev manages to crack it), but don't count on it.

I DO NOT RUN A SUPPORT LINE THROUGH PERSONAL MESSAGES,
SO PLEASE DO NOT PM ME ABOUT HELP (*COUGH* UNLESS I KNOW YOU *COUGH*).

THANK YOU, AND PLEASE HAVE A COOKIE ON YOUR WAY OUT.