Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,503 Members 36,614 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Can it be done

Tip us?

factorydefault000
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Default Can it be done

My phone has gone loopy the usb only charges it no longer works for data but I want to root my phone is there a way of doing it without needing to plug the phone into a pc

Thanks

Sent from my HTC Desire X using xda app-developers app

dansou901
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by factorydefault000 View Post
My phone has gone loopy the usb only charges it no longer works for data but I want to root my phone is there a way of doing it without needing to plug the phone into a pc

Thanks

What exactly is your problem? Do you mean mobile data or storage like sdcard? Also, you definitely need to plug int into a PC for rooting because you need to install a custom recovery via fastboot (due to S-ON, there is no other way).
The Following User Says Thank You to dansou901 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

factorydefault000
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Plugged my phone into my pc and it will not be seen by HTC manager, windows or any other software I tried everything and I can't get the data transfer through usb to work I can get it to charge but that's it

dansou901
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 869
OK, try reinstall the drivers. If that won't work, try to insert sdcard directly to PC via adapter, or try using adb / fastboot from Linux.
The Following User Says Thank You to dansou901 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

factorydefault000
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
I did a fresh install of hyc manager tried several usb cables I use to plug it in and my computer would show desire x but I get nothing at all now from any usb port or any cable can't see the port on the phone beeing damaged as its carging so thinking the board has gone insane

dansou901
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 869
What kind of USB port are you using? USB 3.0 or USB 2.0? USB 3.0 is known to cause issues. Also, did you try another port or another computer maybe?

factorydefault000
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Usb 2 , 3 offical htc cables and 2 diffrent computers all refuse to see the data transfer mode only charging

CurtisMJ
Old
Thanks Meter 170
Did you get ADB or fastboot working (as dansou901 suggested)? Fastboot is the last resort, if thats not working from atleast linux you may need to use your warranty.
Desire X - Iconia Tab A500

Progress is helpful.
A finished product is more helpful.
Thank me for what I've done, not what I'm doing.

The Following User Says Thank You to CurtisMJ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dansou901
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 869
Yeah... If it won't work like @CurtisMJ suggested, the usb port on your phone might be broken...