Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,814,393 Members 53,255 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

High battery drain with mobile data

Tip us?

beanboy89
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 58
Default High battery drain with mobile data

I just rooted and installed a custom ROM on my Evita One X earlier in the week. I had used wizzrah's excellent EZToolkit to get S-off, install a custom recovery and then a custom ROM. I had originally had a CM11 nightly installed, where I noticed high battery drain when having mobile data enabled. I went back to a CM10.2 stable build and have experienced the same. It's a really fast drain while mobile data is enabled, maybe a percent every few minutes. I have an AT&T LTE SIM installed and am in an HSPA+ area with LTE nearby. I keep noticing that the status bar icon keeps cycling between H, H+, and 3G. I had noticed the same with CM11 nightlies, but it's also happening on CM10.2. Is this normal? Do I need to flash a new radio? Something seems a bit unusual.

Baseband: 0.24p.32.09.06_10.130.32.34L
Recovery: TWRP 2.6.3.0
ROM: CM 10.2.0-evita
Kernel: 3.4.11-g69442cc
Build number: cm_evita-userdebug 4.3.1 JLS361

Thanks.

Current phone: Google Nexus 5; Current tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)
Other/Backup/Retired phones: Huawei Vitria, Alcatel OneTouch Evolve, Google Nexus One, T-Mobile G1, HTC One X Evita (broken SIM slot ), Nokia Lumia 635, Nokia Lumia 520; Retired tablet: Amazon Kindle Fire (1st gen)

timmaaa
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 6,315

DONATE TO ME
If you've just flashed the ROM, have you done an initial charge cycle? This means flashing the ROM, letting the phone discharge to ~10%, charging it fully, allowing it to discharge to ~10% again, and charging it fully. After doing this you should also let the ROM "settle in" for a few days, the battery life should improve. Once you've done that and you feel that the battery life still isn't good enough come back here with some battery statistics and we can try to analyse what's going on.

Sent from my Evita
OnePlus One | crDroid/AK | TWRP 2.7.1.1

Do not PM me asking for assistance, that's what my Q&A thread is for!

beanboy89
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 58
Let the battery fully drain last night and then gave the phone a full charge overnight. The phone is at 57% right now after being unplugged for 17 hours. I used very little mobile data (maybe for a few minutes); I was connected to WiFi most of the evening. I'll let it drain overnight and see what it's at in the morning. The weekends aren't a very good use-case for me because I'm not at work and am around WiFi most of the time. I'll see how it goes on Monday when I'm at work and using mobile data a decent part of the day.

Other/Backup/Retired phones: Huawei Vitria, Alcatel OneTouch Evolve, Google Nexus One, T-Mobile G1, HTC One X Evita (broken SIM slot ), Nokia Lumia 635, Nokia Lumia 520; Retired tablet: Amazon Kindle Fire (1st gen)

timmaaa
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 6,315

DONATE TO ME
If you're at 57% after 17 hours off charge, I'd say that's pretty normal drain. What kind of screen on time?

Sent from my Evita

beanboy89
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 58
Screen on is at 32%.

timmaaa
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 6,315

DONATE TO ME
I meant the actual time the screen has been on for. If you go into Settings/Battery and then click Screen it'll show you.

Sent from my Evita

beanboy89
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 58
Ah, okay. Time on is 1 hour 6 minutes. I have the screen set to auto-brightness and timeout is 30 seconds.

timmaaa
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 6,315

DONATE TO ME
I think that's about on par, it could be a little better but it's within the realm of being normal. Auto-brightness is a bit of a battery killer, it tends to make the screen brighter than it needs to be.

Sent from my Evita

beanboy89
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 58
Just an update after about a week. I've tried a few different radio images ([ATT 1.85 /1.82 (0.17.32.09.12_10.86.32.08L)]; [ATT 2.20 (0.19as.32.09.11_2_10.105.32.25)]; [HTC ATT 3.18 (0.24p.32.09.06_10.130.32.34)]) and the battery results seems to be about the same regardless of what radio I have installed on CM 10.2 and CM 11 builds. The battery life drops about 1% an hour until I'm connected to mobile data and it drops a significant amount more after that, probably about a percent every few minutes. I will try some other ROMs and give my report here.