5,604,686 Members 36,539 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

"Android is upgrading..." on every reboot

Tip us?

RuLEoF2
Old
(Last edited by RuLEoF2; 2nd January 2014 at 01:53 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by REV3NT3CH View Post
if youve already used an ruu once you dont need to do it everytime you flash a rom....and depending on the rom certain recoveries wont work for them...good example amon ra will not work for JB or higher....if staying on ICS or sense based roms stick with amon ra only....im guessing your looking for a good Sense based rom correct?.....as for converting apps...i highly suggest against it on sense rom and can cause issues with the rom...on aosp its fine but sense just doesnt like some of them
My mistake, but I should have been more specific. I've only re-flashed the RUU three... maybe four times since I've owned the phone and only as a last resort to fix a problem that a wipe and/or ROM re-flash alone wasn't correcting.

As for recovery, I've only used Amon Ra on my Rezound. It's what was recommended in the Team BAMF guide and I've stuck with it. I do prefer a sense-based ROM and ICS works fine for me right now. The HTC Incredible was my first smart phone and I rooted that within a month of getting it. I tried a few ROMs but eventually settled on Skyraider which I really liked. RezROM is the only comperable ROM that I've come accross for the Rezound, but if you have recommendations, I'll give them a try.

Here's what I've done so far. The ICS RUU linked in the Team BAMF guide was an internal flash through the bootloader. To eliminate that as a possible cause, I found a couple .exe versions to run from my PC.

On the first run, I immediately flashed RezROM and used Amon Ra to install Superuser and SU as you suggested. I updated Superuser and then installed a few basic root apps: Titanium Backup, Root Explorer, QuickBoot, Busy Box, Root Checker and Root Validator. There were no issues until I starting using those root apps. I was periodically rebooting and it wasn't until I updated Busybox and ran TBU and Root Explorer that the "Android is upgrading..." message came back. Worse than before, it was doing the "Optomizing apps # through ##" part where before it was just the "upgrading" message. I uninstalled all of them one-by-one but whatever happened was perminant because it didn't go away so I did a full wipe and used the second ICS RUU .exe. On the second run I stayed stock. Again, I used Amon Ra to install Superuser and SU. I updated Superuser and then installed those same basic root apps. So far, no issues.

With these results, it's pretty evident that the problem is ROM related, but not necessarily a bug as much as a compatibility discrepancy. This issue has never been this persistent until the last few months and within that time, there has been several updates for TBU, Root Explorer and Busybox. I agree that switching to a different ROM may be the ultimate solution, but unless there is one that is a RezROM comparable, I'm not ready to write it off just yet. If there's a way to pin point which app is the cause, I might be able to find a workaround or persuade the developer to come up with a fix, I'd much rather try that first.

But again, I'm certainly interested in trying out any ROM suggestions you might have to offer in the meantime.
-
-

RuLEoF2
Old
(Last edited by RuLEoF2; 3rd January 2014 at 03:59 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
In the process of trying to nail down this problem, I've discovered that it appears to have something to do with the relationship between superuser and RezROM.

Since I first flashed RezROM, I haven't been able to update superuser or the binary in any way. In addition to downloading from the market, I've tried re-installing superuser with Amon Ra, flashing it from the sdcard in recovery and from adb. No matter how I do it, I either lose root or it shuts down superuser's ability to detect requests from new root apps. I tried to find a solution but had no success so I just decided to ignore it as long as it didn't effect functionality. I've had root app issues here and there but always chalked it up to a bug with that particular app and either found a fix or ditched the app altogether.

I've been able to isolate superuser as the cause of the "upgrading" message issue with several full wipes, RezROM and RUU re-flashes. In my last three attempts to narrow it down, I did completely sterile RUU and RezROM flashes and used Root Explorer and Root Checker as test apps. In each attempt, I lost root and the "upgrading" messages returned as soon as I updated superuser or the binary. I tried doing the same with the stock ROM and with one of the BAMF ROMs and these problems don't occur with either of them.

So, with the "Android is upgrading" message popping up repeatedly, having new stability problems with previously dependable apps and increasing system bugs, it's apparent that the consequences of having such a severely outdated superuser has finally caught up with me. It definitely looks like RezROM is the problem and unless there are some options that I might try to fix it myself, it's up to the developer. I've contacted them but I'm not optimistic that they'll be willing to put any time into coming up with a fix since the Rezound is so "dated".
-
-

el Filou
Old
Thanks Meter 7
I had this popup on every boot on my Evo 3D with the stock ICS Sense 3.6 ROM, I still have it on my Rezound with a custom ICS Sense 4.1 ROM. I just assumed it's standard behaviour from Android, why would you think it's an issue if it doesn't cause any problems?
HTC Rezound: S-OFF, TWRP 2.6.3.0, ICS Sense 4.1 Pure GSM by Siulmagic on Funky Kernel 3.7 by Snuzzo (testing recent AOSP ROMs all the time).
LG G Pad 8.3 v500: currently 100% stock.