Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,302 Members 50,782 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

baseband question

Tip us?
 
orateam
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 75
Posts: 558
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Orlando
Default baseband question

I have the good MDK baseband and currently on Hyperdrive AOSP. I wanted to upgrade my radio. Is this the same as baseband, will it break something?
 
decaturbob
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 757
Posts: 2,235
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Decatur
Quote:
Originally Posted by orateam View Post
I have the good MDK baseband and currently on Hyperdrive AOSP. I wanted to upgrade my radio. Is this the same as baseband, will it break something?
Radio is separate from build base...

safestrap enabled, Hyperdrive driven
S4 powered by hashcode 3.72 safestrap and Echo V26 kitkat
 
heath2805
Old
#3  
heath2805's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 378
Posts: 950
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Baltimore, MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by orateam View Post
I have the good MDK baseband and currently on Hyperdrive AOSP. I wanted to upgrade my radio. Is this the same as baseband, will it break something?
Yes radios are the baseband version. Heres where the radios are, but to be safe I would make sure the MD5 matches before flashing in recovery. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=46550751

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
 
orateam
Old
#4  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 75
Posts: 558
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Orlando
Quote:
Originally Posted by heath2805 View Post
Yes radios are the baseband version. Heres where the radios are, but to be safe I would make sure the MD5 matches before flashing in recovery. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=46550751

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Thanks.

And just because i can't figure this one thing out. How come so many people who upgrade their phones are locked out of unlocking/root, yet i can go up and down ?
 
thedoman
Old
(Last edited by thedoman; 17th January 2014 at 06:46 AM.)
#5  
thedoman's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 81
Posts: 565
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ohio
Could flashing a radio other than mdk on mdk bootloader Bork your ability to make calls? I flashed mk2 radio over mdk bootloader and could not make calls on Sammy roms but could if I flashed cm based roms.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
 
gnubian
Old
#6  
gnubian's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 110
Posts: 187
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Asheville
Quote:
Originally Posted by orateam View Post
Thanks.

And just because i can't figure this one thing out. How come so many people who upgrade their phones are locked out of unlocking/root, yet i can go up and down ?
You can go up and down in terms of radios and android versions, not builds. We're you to odin to anything but mdk you would be stuck in a state where you could not regain an unlocked bootloader. All builds have a root method though. If this is something you don't understand I would research it more, simply to prevent you from accidentally losing your mdk build.
 
orateam
Old
#7  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 75
Posts: 558
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Orlando
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnubian View Post
You can go up and down in terms of radios and android versions, not builds.

ahh, so narrowed it down to builds. So what is a build? I have ODINed before, obviously to MDK. When a build, such as hyperdrive or eclipse 4.4.2 is made, it seems that they keep the parts that link back to MDK. What is that part? The reason i ask is because i want to start making my own builds and would like a deep understanding so i don't screw up.
 
gnubian
Old
#8  
gnubian's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 110
Posts: 187
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Asheville
Quote:
Originally Posted by orateam View Post
ahh, so narrowed it down to builds. So what is a build? I have ODINed before, obviously to MDK. When a build, such as hyperdrive or eclipse 4.4.2 is made, it seems that they keep the parts that link back to MDK. What is that part? The reason i ask is because i want to start making my own builds and would like a deep understanding so i don't screw up.
Those roms (I'm assuming) don't touch the bootloader, which is the part of the mdk build that you must not change in order to maintain the loki exploit that allows you to load custom roms and kernels. If you build a rom from aosp source or what have you just make sure it doesn't include any parts of the bootloader/boot chain and you should be ok.

Read this if you haven't already

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2606501

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Easily Combine Text and Manage Your Android Clipboard with StuffMerge

Android clipboard management has always been impractical without the … more

Pale Moon Browser Ported to Android

Having a wide choice of third party applications is one of the most beautiful things that Android has to … more

Partial Android Wear Source Uploaded to AOSP

2014 is certainly shaping up to be theyear of the wearables. And thanks to its innovative … more

Street Panorama Combines Google Maps and Street View into One App

Google Maps is a must have application forevery amateur world explorer. … more