Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,742 Members 37,636 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

baseband question

Tip us?

orateam
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 75
Default baseband question

I have the good MDK baseband and currently on Hyperdrive AOSP. I wanted to upgrade my radio. Is this the same as baseband, will it break something?

decaturbob
Old
Thanks Meter 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by orateam View Post
I have the good MDK baseband and currently on Hyperdrive AOSP. I wanted to upgrade my radio. Is this the same as baseband, will it break something?
Radio is separate from build base...

safestrap enabled, Hyperdrive driven
so long Verizon and my awesome S4 , hello TMO G3

heath2805
Old
Thanks Meter 380
Quote:
Yes radios are the baseband version. Heres where the radios are, but to be safe I would make sure the MD5 matches before flashing in recovery. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=46550751

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

orateam
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by heath2805 View Post
Yes radios are the baseband version. Heres where the radios are, but to be safe I would make sure the MD5 matches before flashing in recovery. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=46550751

Thanks.

And just because i can't figure this one thing out. How come so many people who upgrade their phones are locked out of unlocking/root, yet i can go up and down ?

thedoman
Old
(Last edited by thedoman; 17th January 2014 at 06:46 AM.)
Thanks Meter 81
Could flashing a radio other than mdk on mdk bootloader Bork your ability to make calls? I flashed mk2 radio over mdk bootloader and could not make calls on Sammy roms but could if I flashed cm based roms.

gnubian
Old
Thanks Meter 110
Quote:
Thanks.

And just because i can't figure this one thing out. How come so many people who upgrade their phones are locked out of unlocking/root, yet i can go up and down ?
You can go up and down in terms of radios and android versions, not builds. We're you to odin to anything but mdk you would be stuck in a state where you could not regain an unlocked bootloader. All builds have a root method though. If this is something you don't understand I would research it more, simply to prevent you from accidentally losing your mdk build.

orateam
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnubian View Post
You can go up and down in terms of radios and android versions, not builds.

ahh, so narrowed it down to builds. So what is a build? I have ODINed before, obviously to MDK. When a build, such as hyperdrive or eclipse 4.4.2 is made, it seems that they keep the parts that link back to MDK. What is that part? The reason i ask is because i want to start making my own builds and would like a deep understanding so i don't screw up.

gnubian
Old
Thanks Meter 110
Quote:
ahh, so narrowed it down to builds. So what is a build? I have ODINed before, obviously to MDK. When a build, such as hyperdrive or eclipse 4.4.2 is made, it seems that they keep the parts that link back to MDK. What is that part? The reason i ask is because i want to start making my own builds and would like a deep understanding so i don't screw up.
Those roms (I'm assuming) don't touch the bootloader, which is the part of the mdk build that you must not change in order to maintain the loki exploit that allows you to load custom roms and kernels. If you build a rom from aosp source or what have you just make sure it doesn't include any parts of the bootloader/boot chain and you should be ok.

Read this if you haven't already

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2606501