5,603,729 Members 37,744 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

A new Nexus 7 user desperately seeking advice:

Tip us?

weezlerox
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Perhaps if total privacy is that big a deal some users would be better off with some paper and a pen? Then again "They" will be watching your every move anyway.... [insert fiendish cackle]

Sent from my LG-P880 using Tapatalk

Anderson2
Old
Thanks Meter 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezlerox View Post
Perhaps if total privacy is that big a deal some users would be better off with some paper and a pen? Then again "They" will be watching your every move anyway.... [insert fiendish cackle]

One day you may be sorry you feel that way......

weezlerox
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Sorry that I have nothing to hide?

bebiisgod
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobaltleo View Post
The problem with that thinking is that 1 your expecting them to obey the laws and 2 you don't know what level of protection they or their partners that they share your info with have in place, and how easily it can be uses to steal your identity. What is a internet the if "is" your neighbor we give out our email address freely with that if they hax Google they can now remotely access your WiFi and put a keystroke logger on your network. Sounds a bit far fetched but just think just because you live in a good neighborhood don't you still lock your doors at night?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
They had things nowadays that doesnt need your email and they can hack you. Just promoting a wifi signal is bad enough for a good hacker to get personal info without you knowing. Not to make ppl paranoid but its out there. Google is pretty good about privacy stuff in my experiences. There is always room for improvement regardless the OS or service you choose.

Anderson2
Old
Thanks Meter 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezlerox View Post
Sorry that I have nothing to hide?

Sorry when you find out otherwise.

Mort432
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by klepto View Post
Ok,

The nexus 7 is my very first tablet that I bought last week.

I need to keep Google at bay to some degree and guard my privacy. My tablet is not rooted but I need a top notch privacy application.
A link to an xda post about the best Nexus 7 apps would be nice too.

I chose the Nexus 7 to avoid the Vendor bloatware/crud but Google had movie, books and other crud to remove. Sheesh!

If privacy is really a big issue for you, and you don't like the Movie/Books google play apps, why not install Cyanogenmod?
It comes without any GAPPS (Google Applications) so you're totally disconnected from Google, and you save the space Movie/Books etc would usually take up.
If you need GAPPS later, they can easily be installed onto Cyanogenmod so you can always change your mind.
You're on a 2013 Nexus 7 so unlocking/rooting/flashing for you is gonna be a breeze.

If you don't already have the latest Nexus Root Toolkit, get it and keep it on your computer, it's about to become your best friend.
Easy backups, easy restores, easy unlock/root/flash/custom recovery and a whole bundle of other useful features.
If you want to return the device to the manufacturer, NRT will even let you unroot/unflash it.
Tags
google, nexus, privacy, security