5,598,938 Members 31,033 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Using Proxy (exact alternative to VPN) in Android multiuser.

Tip us?

cludo47
Old
(Last edited by cludo47; 24th December 2013 at 06:25 PM.) Reason: Spelling Mistakes.
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Thumbs up Using Proxy (exact alternative to VPN) in Android multiuser.

Hello All,

Im just gonna cut to the chase and not give long introductions. For those of you running the 'secondary' or 'non-owner' account in Android multiuser, you know it is impossible for the secondary user to use VPN. That would require you to actually open the primary/owner account and launch the VPN from there which is quite frustrating and unfeasible. So heres how you CAN do it. I researched for months on how to do it on my Xperia Tablet Z LTE and I found a way.

REMEMBER : IF YOU WANT IT TO WORK EXACTLY LIKE VPN, THAT IS PROXYING/BYPASSING BLOCKED SITES /PROXY CHANNELING FOR EVERY APP,YOU WILL NEED ROOT!

First: Root your phone. Optional but Recommended.

Second : You can check root by any app..There are some on Google Play.

Third : Download OrBot from Google Play (cant post links as Im new user

Fourth : Install It. If you dont have/wanna root you can use OrWeb (for browsing internet on your device through proxy/bypassing block) You can find it on Google Play, You can use a few selected apps that support OrBot natively (Google's your friend) AND ANY other app which supports channeling its data through a proxy tunnel.

Fifth : For proxy tunneling use 'localhost' or '127.0.0.1' in HOST field and use '8118' in PORT field for ANY APP WHICH DOES SUPPORT CHANNELING ITS NETWORK DATA THROUGH A PROXY CHANNEL.

Sixth : In case you DO have root.It easy as pie for you to channel ALL NETWORK DATA through OrBot. Simply use the 'Transparent Proxying' option in OrBot settings.

Seventh : Enjoy unblocked sites and complete privacy.
REMEBER : ORBOT IS A VERY EFFICIENT AND COMPLETELY EFFECTIVE WAY TO HIDE YOUR IDENTITY ONLINE. Read more at its website.

Hope I helped. If so, hit the thanks button!

Regards,
Saad Muhammad

Croone
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cludo47 View Post
Hello All,

Im just gonna cut to the chase and not give long introductions. For those of you running the 'secondary' or 'non-owner' account in Android multiuser, you know it is impossible for the secondary user to use VPN. That would require you to actually open the primary/owner account and launch the VPN from there which is quite frustrating and unfeasible. So heres how you CAN do it. I researched for months on how to do it on my Xperia Tablet Z LTE and I found a way.

REMEMBER : IF YOU WANT IT TO WORK EXACTLY LIKE VPN, THAT IS PROXYING/BYPASSING BLOCKED SITES /PROXY CHANNELING FOR EVERY APP,YOU WILL NEED ROOT!

First: Root your phone. Optional but Recommended.

Second : You can check root by any app..There are some on Google Play.

Third : Download OrBot from Google Play (cant post links as Im new user

Fourth : Install It. If you dont have/wanna root you can use OrWeb (for browsing internet on your device through proxy/bypassing block) You can find it on Google Play, You can use a few selected apps that support OrBot natively (Google's your friend) AND ANY other app which supports channeling its data through a proxy tunnel.

Fifth : For proxy tunneling use 'localhost' or '127.0.0.1' in HOST field and use '8118' in PORT field for ANY APP WHICH DOES SUPPORT CHANNELING ITS NETWORK DATA THROUGH A PROXY CHANNEL.

Sixth : In case you DO have root.It easy as pie for you to channel ALL NETWORK DATA through OrBot. Simply use the 'Transparent Proxying' option in OrBot settings.

Seventh : Enjoy unblocked sites and complete privacy.
REMEBER : ORBOT IS A VERY EFFICIENT AND COMPLETELY EFFECTIVE WAY TO HIDE YOUR IDENTITY ONLINE. Read more at its website.

Hope I helped. If so, hit the thanks button!

Regards,
Saad Muhammad
You can set your whole WIFI connection to go through proxy. When you connect to a network, and type in the WIFI password, click on the "Show advanced options" checkbox, and select "Manual" from the "Proxy" dropdown. I wonder if it would work like that, too!

cludo47
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Cool Probably not a success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croone View Post
You can set your whole WIFI connection to go through proxy. When you connect to a network, and type in the WIFI password, click on the "Show advanced options" checkbox, and select "Manual" from the "Proxy" dropdown. I wonder if it would work like that, too!
I tried that too. Buggy and most probably wont work. Didnt for me.

jaliltarnab
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cludo47 View Post
I tried that too. Buggy and most probably wont work. Didnt for me.
it will probably work well using a wifie networks but is very buggy using mobile networks.i checked every version of Orbit. it tired me a lot with no consequence at the end.

cludo47
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Hmm Weird

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaliltarnab View Post
it will probably work well using a wifie networks but is very buggy using mobile networks.i checked every version of Orbit. it tired me a lot with no consequence at the end.

Well thats wierd! Cuz when I tried this method (wifi proxy) pages wouldnt load and internet wouldnot connect but Orbot worked perfectly.

cludo47
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Talking Updated to 4.3!

Updated it!!!!