Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,094 Members 50,548 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Stop downloading OTA update

Tip us?

Medard22
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Stop downloading OTA update

Yesterday I received the KitKat update notification. I just set the update to remind me later and today, when I connected to wifi, my phone started to download the update on its own. I dont want to update to KitKat just yet. Can I stop this update from downloading? Or can I just let it download and then not install it?

scott_doyland
Old
Thanks Meter 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medard22 View Post
Yesterday I received the KitKat update notification. I just set the update to remind me later and today, when I connected to wifi, my phone started to download the update on its own. I dont want to update to KitKat just yet. Can I stop this update from downloading? Or can I just let it download and then not install it?
Once downloaded it will keep asking you to install it.

Are you rooted with superSU. If so install update and it will fail (no harm done). Then you won't be bothered by it again.

Note - if you then manually check for updates it will download the file again and you will have to let it update/fail again to get rid of the notification/reminder again.

Medard22
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
I dont have a root. So I can only let it download and the live with the install reminders. Well that kind of sucks.

scott_doyland
Old
Thanks Meter 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medard22 View Post
I dont have a root. So I can only let it download and the live with the install reminders. Well that kind of sucks.
I know its rubbish that the update is forced upon people. There should be a choice in my opinion.

Root is only option though AFAIK to stop OTA updates one way or another.