Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Losing OTA

OP ckfmunoz

15th January 2014, 10:11 PM   |  #1  
ckfmunoz's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
100 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2011
Will I lose the ability to do OTA updates if I flash a custom ROM or custom kernel?

What if I just flash a custom kernel by itself and keep stock ROM?

Currently rooted on stock 4.4.2.
15th January 2014, 10:29 PM   |  #2  
Zaphodspeaks's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 50
 
294 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckfmunoz

Will I lose the ability to do OTA updates if I flash a custom ROM or custom kernel?

What if I just flash a custom kernel by itself and keep stock ROM?

Currently rooted on stock 4.4.2.

Yup..
If the OTA detects either a Custom recovery, a Custom kernal or any build Prop mods..
the OTA will fail..

What I do.. Its a long method, but it works.. make a Nandroid of your Data partition only..
then flash to stock, then OTA, then install a custom recovery.. then restore your Data partition..
All should be well.. Im sure there is a much easier way like extracting the System.img from the OTA or from the Stock rom,
and Dirty flashing just the System.img.. That should also work.. OTAs are kinda hard on Rooted devices..;'

If your coming from a Custom Rom, you can wait for the Rom Devs to catch up, and then dirty flash the updated rom with out having to do a clean wipe.. But I make a Nandroid of my Data partition and restore it if I need to do a wipe..

Hope this helps
15th January 2014, 10:34 PM   |  #3  
ckfmunoz's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
100 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphodspeaks

Yup..
If the OTA detects either a Custom recovery, a Custom kernal or any build Prop mods..
the OTA will fail..

What I do.. Its a long method, but it works.. make a Nandroid of your Data partition only..
then flash to stock, then OTA, then install a custom recovery.. then restore your Data partition..
All should be well.. Im sure there is a much easier way like extracting the System.img from the OTA or from the Stock rom,
and Dirty flashing just the System.img.. That should also work.. OTAs are kinda hard on Rooted devices..

I see. I'll give that workaround a try. But will the OTA fail from rooted stock? Or does the fail only apply to a custom recovery or custom kernel?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
15th January 2014, 10:40 PM   |  #4  
Zaphodspeaks's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 50
 
294 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckfmunoz

I see. I'll give that workaround a try. But will the OTA fail from rooted stock? Or does the fail only apply to a custom recovery or custom kernel?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

If you have a Custom Kernel, and or a Custom Recovery.. or even a Build Prop mod
the OTA will fail.... I do a Full Nandroid just to be sure if there are any mistakes you can revert..
Flash to Stock, do the OTA.. then use Wugfresh's tool to reroot, and reinstall a Custom Recovery like TWRP. Then just restore the Data partition in recovery..

I cant find it, but there is a Thread or 2 on the topic..
I have so many saved it hard to go through them all..
Its where I got my info in the past..
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes