5,605,373 Members 41,337 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Better governor to prioritize performance rather than power save

Tip us?
 
draftbeer89
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 28
Join Date: May 2012
Default Better governor to prioritize performance rather than power save

Hi,

I have a rooted sm-p600. I have been finding ways to speed up my tablet and reduce (if not totally eliminate) the lag.

First, I installed wanam xposed module and enabled/disabled the "touchwiz DVFS" option and "Enable boost mode" option. I don't know if it makes any difference and I'm not totally sure either what that option is for. So if anyone could tell me if I should enable/disable it, that'll be great,

Second, I tried to use an overclocking app, "no-frills cpu" and "cpu tuner". I know that I actually have to have a custom kernel which enables overclocking but I really didn't need to overclock my tablet, I just basically want to keep my min and max frequencies to 1.9 so that means, it won't try to underclock my cputo save battery (which the kernel is doing by default). It works great and it DID eliminate the lag and the tablet was so snappy. But there's one glitch. If I lock the tablet, it fails to wake up. And I had to do a forced reboot. But there's one thing I've noticed and this may be of help to someone who is trying to figure out how to eliminate the known lag issue in the note 10.1 (2014). It only hangs if the tablet is not charging. Meaning, if I set the max and min frequencies to 1.9ghz, it hangs (once locked) if the tablet is not plugged into the charger. If I plug it into the charger, even if I lock it and unlock it several times, it doesn't hang.

So, anybody got any clue as to how to resolve this issue? Or has anyone come up with a better kernel for this tablet?
The Following User Says Thank You to draftbeer89 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Qbm
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 60
Posts: 219
Join Date: May 2013
Try setting the min to 1.3 ghz see what that does or try using flux to set min Max and memory read times to 3072 or whatever the value is I forget. Play around with the settings and I'm sure you will find a better more stable experience. I don't know how having two quad cores affects the performance maybe that's why you getting the black screen and no wake on battery. It might have to tick over the lower quad first before it kicks in the main one. Might be taxing the battery to much clocking straight to 1.9. Hope this helps let me know how you get on
 
draftbeer89
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 28
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qbm View Post
Try setting the min to 1.3 ghz see what that does or try using flux to set min Max and memory read times to 3072 or whatever the value is I forget. Play around with the settings and I'm sure you will find a better more stable experience. I don't know how having two quad cores affects the performance maybe that's why you getting the black screen and no wake on battery. It might have to tick over the lower quad first before it kicks in the main one. Might be taxing the battery to much clocking straight to 1.9. Hope this helps let me know how you get on
Which overclocking app are you referring to? I would assume you're talking about "cpu tuner" as the other app I've mentioned in my initial pose which is "no-frills cpu control" doesn't have any other settings besides the min and max frequency.

GOOD NEWS though! I got cpu tuner to work! I did lower the min frequency to 1.8ghz and kept max at 1.9ghz. Actually, there are only 3 selectable values for both fields, it's 250mhz, 1.8ghz and 1.9ghz. I gave 1.8ghz a try, locked the tablet, it froze, then I restarted it. The settings were reapplied when I logged back in, then after that it never froze again even after I've locked it a few times. The performance is excellent! I tried running multiple apps on pen window. I've never seen it perform this well since I bought this tablet! Let's see if it works well in a few days.
The Following User Says Thank You to draftbeer89 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
steveman29
Old
#4  
steveman29's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 104
Posts: 578
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by draftbeer89 View Post
Which overclocking app are you referring to? I would assume you're talking about "cpu tuner" as the other app I've mentioned in my initial pose which is "no-frills cpu control" doesn't have any other settings besides the min and max frequency.

GOOD NEWS though! I got cpu tuner to work! I did lower the min frequency to 1.8ghz and kept max at 1.9ghz. Actually, there are only 3 selectable values for both fields, it's 250mhz, 1.8ghz and 1.9ghz. I gave 1.8ghz a try, locked the tablet, it froze, then I restarted it. The settings were reapplied when I logged back in, then after that it never froze again even after I've locked it a few times. The performance is excellent! I tried running multiple apps on pen window. I've never seen it perform this well since I bought this tablet! Let's see if it works well in a few days.
Battery life will be horrible!

Στάλθηκε από το SM-P600 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk 2
GALAXY NOTE 10.1 2014 EDITION

GALAXY S4 I9505

ZOPO ZP998
 
Qbm
Old
(Last edited by Qbm; 19th December 2013 at 06:29 PM.)
#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 60
Posts: 219
Join Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveman29 View Post
Battery life will be horrible!

Στάλθηκε από το SM-P600 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk 2
Yeah best to try flux123 kernal app on the playstore you can set a lot more in there. Works like a treat on my s4. Set it to 1.3 and 1.9. I'll post some more settings to try later. All I've got is nova launcher and disabled as much blout that I don't use. Not yet rooted on my tablet but just doing them two simple things makes a ton of difference. As you rooted you could use root uninstaller to remove touchwiz and other stupid startup processes. I did it last week on my tab 8.0 got rid of 12 pointless processes now that flys wouldn't even think it was the tablet. Can't wait for a oc kernel and decent rom for the note 10.1 will come into its own then. To bad Samsung killed it with all there unneeded rubbish .
 
draftbeer89
Old
#6  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 28
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qbm View Post
Yeah best to try flux123 kernal app on the playstore you can set a lot more in there. Works like a treat on my s4. Set it to 1.3 and 1.9. I'll post some more settings to try later. All I've got is nova launcher and disabled as much blout that I don't use. Not yet rooted on my tablet but just doing them two simple things makes a ton of difference. As you rooted you could use root uninstaller to remove touchwiz and other stupid startup processes. I did it last week on my tab 8.0 got rid of 12 pointless processes now that flys wouldn't even think it was the tablet. Can't wait for a oc kernel and decent rom for the note 10.1 will come into its own then. To bad Samsung killed it with all there unneeded rubbish .
At this point, I don't really mind the slight degrading of the battery life, I just want the tablet to be snappier.

By the way, I installed faux123, but it seems that I cannot change the settings. Like when I try to drag the min frequency slider to 1.3ghz, it slides back to 250mhz. Also, all of the other settings I set revert back to the original settings after I reboot. I have enabled the "set on boot" options on all screens, but they all just revert back to original settings on reboot. Am I missing something?
 
Qbm
Old
#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 60
Posts: 219
Join Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by draftbeer89 View Post
At this point, I don't really mind the slight degrading of the battery life, I just want the tablet to be snappier.

By the way, I installed faux123, but it seems that I cannot change the settings. Like when I try to drag the min frequency slider to 1.3ghz, it slides back to 250mhz. Also, all of the other settings I set revert back to the original settings after I reboot. I have enabled the "set on boot" options on all screens, but they all just revert back to original settings on reboot. Am I missing something?
Just came back to check for anymore help I could give and the best thing I can advice is clean rom. Fly's with nova launcher but still haven't got any kernals to take advantage of flux yet which sucks abit but trust me you won't be disappointed by clean rom if you haven't already got it on your tab don't waste another second

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Android App Review: Auto Config Free – XDA Developer TV

In this weeks episode of XDA Xposed Tuesday, we talked about customization of … more

Cloupload is a Beautiful and Fully Functional CloudApp Client for Android

If you’re a Mac OS X user who frequently uploads screenshots, … more

Microsoft Finally Brings Remote Desktop to Windows Phone

You may recall that back in October of last year, Microsoft released itsofficial … more

SideControl Gains New Powers through Xposed

You may recall that a little overa month ago, we first talked about SideCutsby XDA Forum … more