[Q] Help explaining flash player......

OP knightsh

15th January 2014, 11:27 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 49

194 posts
I'm on Jovy's stock rooted 4.3 and loving it. A few weeks ago I picked up an LG G Pad 8.3 tablet. It's awesome! But it won't play flash content, specifically when using Chrome. I've searched XDA and it seems Chrome is not compatible with Flash Player. But my S4 plays it just fine. Even in Chrome. I can go to the exact same site and click the same video link on both the S4 and the G Pad using Chrome browser. The S4 plays immediately where as the G Pad will give me an error message about needing Adobe Flash and that my device is not compatible with it. What is different with our S4? What is actually playing the video if Chrome is supposedly not compatible with flash? The G Pad is on stock rooted 4.2.2 and the S4 is stock rooted 4.3.
16th January 2014, 12:10 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 4,411

6,852 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightsh

I'm on Jovy's stock rooted 4.3 and loving it. A few weeks ago I picked up an LG G Pad 8.3 tablet. It's awesome! But it won't play flash content, specifically when using Chrome. I've searched XDA and it seems Chrome is not compatible with Flash Player. But my S4 plays it just fine. Even in Chrome. I can go to the exact same site and click the same video link on both the S4 and the G Pad using Chrome browser. The S4 plays immediately where as the G Pad will give me an error message about needing Adobe Flash and that my device is not compatible with it. What is different with our S4? What is actually playing the video if Chrome is supposedly not compatible with flash? The G Pad is on stock rooted 4.2.2 and the S4 is stock rooted 4.3.

Whats different is the UA (User-Agent) String. The website might be seeing the S4 as a mobile device, and using a different website HTML file. Where the tablet is detected as normal browser. When you say you are watching flash on the S4, you are more than likely watching an HTML5 version or similiar, of the video. Chrome does NOT support flash. If you wanna stream videos to your tablet, I highly recommend Dolphin Browser. I use it on my TF300T and have zero issues watching my videos.
16th January 2014, 01:30 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 49

194 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elesbb

Whats different is the UA (User-Agent) String. The website might be seeing the S4 as a mobile device, and using a different website HTML file. Where the tablet is detected as normal browser. When you say you are watching flash on the S4, you are more than likely watching an HTML5 version or similiar, of the video. Chrome does NOT support flash. If you wanna stream videos to your tablet, I highly recommend Dolphin Browser. I use it on my TF300T and have zero issues watching my videos.

Aah, that makes sense. Appreciate the explanation. I'll give Dolphin a try, but I like keeping the same browser across all my devices and keeping them synced. May have to try discovering what is being read by each device and getting them to match some way. Thanks!
16th January 2014, 02:51 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 4,411

6,852 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightsh

Aah, that makes sense. Appreciate the explanation. I'll give Dolphin a try, but I like keeping the same browser across all my devices and keeping them synced. May have to try discovering what is being read by each device and getting them to match some way. Thanks!

whatismybrowser.com will give you the UA String. But Dolphin has the ability to sync your stuff.. i think lol.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread