Mozilla Ditches Google, Makes Yahoo Default Search Engine

Mozilla and Google have had a long-standing relationship of about 10 years. Google … more

Learn More About Linux with Linux Man Pages

Linux is quite a powerful and very configurable operating system. Thanks to some user-friendly … more

Detect, Avoid IMSI-Catcher Attacks with Android IMSI-Catcher Detector

Privacy is always an important topic, as well as a delicate one to … more

Materialized LeanDroid Fights Your Poor Battery Life

Battery life has always been one of the biggest problems facing most Android devices. … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Android 4.4.2 and MDL bootloader on I337

OP svs57

15th January 2014, 09:02 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 43

408 posts
I have I337 with MDL bootloader. Omega 19 (4.3), MK2 GSM modem and MDL LTE modem.
New Omega 20 based on leaked 4.4.2 come.
I read Omega 20 installation notes than it works only with new 4.4.2 bootloder.
Does this means that the only way to install 4.4.2 is wait i337 4.4.2 stock, flash it and use safe strap.
PS
Is LOKI kernel for 4.4.2 TW available?
Last edited by svs57; 15th January 2014 at 12:51 PM.
15th January 2014, 06:05 PM   |  #2  
WI
Thanks Meter: 108

710 posts
Was kinda wondering this myself.
I'm on 4.4.2 GE ROM, I assume just flashing a 4.4 ROM updates your bootloader but strangely I don't see any 4.4 TW ROMs in our Dev section yet?

Was hoping somebody has flashed an Intl 4.4 ROM with loki-doki and all was good.
15th January 2014, 08:11 PM   |  #3  
Flag Fort Worth
Thanks Meter: 708

1,525 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpr123

Was kinda wondering this myself.
I'm on 4.4.2 GE ROM, I assume just flashing a 4.4 ROM updates your bootloader but strangely I don't see any 4.4 TW ROMs in our Dev section yet?

Was hoping somebody has flashed an Intl 4.4 ROM with loki-doki and all was good.

Flashing a rom only updates the system and kernel. The modem, bootloader, and recovery stay intact. Odin packages contain the bootloader and modem. These are all on separate partitions.

The 4.4.2 released was a i9505 rom and only for them. You can be on an older bootloader and flash newer android version roms but you can't do the opposite and say flash a 2.3 rom while you on a 4.0 rom.

Also most people don't want the permanence of being stuck on a leak release and not being able to go back.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hednik For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th January 2014, 08:16 PM   |  #4  
WI

710 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hednik

Flashing a rom only updates the system and kernel. The modem, bootloader, and recovery stay intact. Odin packages contain the bootloader and modem. These are all on separate partitions.

The 4.4.2 released was a i9505 rom and only for them. You can be on an older bootloader and flash newer android version roms but you can't do the opposite and say flash a 2.3 rom while you on a 4.0 rom.

Also most people don't want the permanence of being stuck on a leak release and not being able to go back.

Ahh ok, so I really do still have an MDL bootloader huh (even though I've flashed different modems).
But I can switch from a 4.4 GE/CM ROM to any 4.3 or 4.2.2 if I choose, so what do you mean not being able to go back?
15th January 2014, 08:59 PM   |  #5  
Flag Fort Worth

1,525 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Ahh ok, so I really do still have an MDL bootloader huh (even though I've flashed different modems).
But I can switch from a 4.4 GE/CM ROM to any 4.3 or 4.2.2 if I choose, so what do you mean not being able to go back?

MDL was the second update I believe (right after release) for 4.2.2 before the the lock. Once you update the bootloader on these lock bootloaders (even MDL is locked, just has a loki work around) you can't go back. The bootloaders are going to be locked and you wont be able to flash a Odin .tar and go back. You are on there. YOu can flash 4.4 roms on a 4.2.2 bootloader but not a 4.2 rom on a 4.4 bootloader.
15th January 2014, 09:20 PM   |  #6  
WI

710 posts
Alrighty, so to answer OP's question.
You should be fine to flash new Omega with a wipe of Cache/Davlik/System/Data followed by loki-doki.
15th January 2014, 10:46 PM   |  #7  
Flag Fort Worth

1,525 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Alrighty, so to answer OP's question.
You should be fine to flash new Omega with a wipe of Cache/Davlik/System/Data followed by loki-doki.

not unless he is okay being stuck with a he new bootloader knowing he cant go to another rom unless its a 4.4
15th January 2014, 10:52 PM   |  #8  
WI

710 posts
Omega (and all custom ROMs) wouldn't include the bootloader as you mentioned in your first reply...
16th January 2014, 08:55 AM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 43

408 posts
Quote:

Omega (and all custom ROMs) wouldn't include the bootloader as you mentioned in your first reply...

It's true.
I am confused by what I read in the installation Instructions for Omega v20:
Quote:

Installation:
1. Backup your device (nadroid backup, titanium backup, efs backup ... etc) and save the backup to a safe place.
2. Flash the new bootloder and modems with odin -> I9505XXUFNA1_Bootloader_Modems.tar

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread