Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,951 Members 52,850 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] boot loop installing paranoid 4.0 beta, can't fastboot

Tip us?

sepha
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Dio View Post
So I'm guessing wiping the phone is a no-no for you. Going through basics here.
I've tried wiping caches and doing a factory reset after doing a backup (of the system already in the boot loop condition) but it didn't change anything.

plegdroid
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 11368
If you've already got root. Can try recovery tools app to install the new recovery

ⓐⓝⓓⓡⓞⓒⓛⓓⓔ ⓘⓢ ⓝⓞⓣ ⓐ ⓢⓘⓝ

http://xda-devcon.com
Xda devcon 2014 Manchester. live local?. Pm me or @jerdog for a special discount code. For a limited time.

sepha
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by plegdroid View Post
If you've already got root. Can try recovery tools app to install the new recovery
the problem is that I cannot copy a new recovery to the phone's memory, since Android won't boot, and ADB and fastboot won't work, and it doesn't have a microsd slot

plegdroid
Old
(Last edited by plegdroid; 13th January 2014 at 02:42 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 11368
Quote:
Originally Posted by sepha View Post
the problem is that I cannot copy a new recovery to the phone's memory, since Android won't boot, and ADB and fastboot won't work, and it doesn't have a microsd slot
My much bad. Hope you get it sorted

While iam here thou, have you updated your computers drivers for the n4? Incase that's the reason its not finding your phone.
ⓐⓝⓓⓡⓞⓒⓛⓓⓔ ⓘⓢ ⓝⓞⓣ ⓐ ⓢⓘⓝ

http://xda-devcon.com
Xda devcon 2014 Manchester. live local?. Pm me or @jerdog for a special discount code. For a limited time.

Pirateghost
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 6636

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by sepha View Post
Try cleaning your USB port on the phone with some alcohol

Sent from my Nexus 5

sepha
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirateghost View Post
Try cleaning your USB port on the phone with some alcohol
Thanks Pirateghost. I tried but it didn't work. I'm more and more convinced there's something wrong with the hardware. Maybe I dropped it one too many times. It was just a strange coincidence and really bad luck that I realized it didn't work just after the problem installing a new ROM.

Anyways, I ordered a replacement for the PCB that holds the microusb connector. Let's hope that works.

sepha
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I solved the problem.

I managed to make the phone appear on the computer. There must be something broken in the microusb port in the phone because sometimes when I connect the phone nothing will appear on dmesg (I use Linux), sometimes I get USB errors and after trying a few times I managed to make it work.

I updated the recovery through fastboot and then I was able to successfully install the new ROM from recovery and now everything works alright.

Once the replacement board I ordered arrives I'll try replacing that and see if that fixes the USB connection problems.

Thanks to everybody who helped.