Learn How to Create an Old School Dialer

XDA is not only a great source for custom ROMs, kernels, and various modifications for numerous … more

USB Desktop Charger Roundup – XDA TV

Sometimes you learn one way to do something, and that’s the way you do it forever. You never … more

Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos Receives Early CM12 Port

Samsung Galaxy Grand is a dual-SIM phone with a 5 screen that was announced two years ago. … more

Google Adds New Features to Drive, Sheets, Slides and Docs

In the last few months, Google has been working very hard to adapt all its apps to … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] boot loop installing paranoid 4.0 beta, can't fastboot

OP sepha

13th January 2014, 07:53 AM   |  #11  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

8 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Dio

So I'm guessing wiping the phone is a no-no for you. Going through basics here.

I've tried wiping caches and doing a factory reset after doing a backup (of the system already in the boot loop condition) but it didn't change anything.
13th January 2014, 08:28 AM   |  #12  
Recognized Contributor
Flag manchester
Thanks Meter: 12,805

3,701 posts
More
If you've already got root. Can try recovery tools app to install the new recovery

ⓐⓝⓓⓡⓞⓒⓛⓓⓔ ⓘⓢ ⓝⓞⓣ ⓐ ⓢⓘⓝ
13th January 2014, 09:22 AM   |  #13  
OP Junior Member

8 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plegdroid

If you've already got root. Can try recovery tools app to install the new recovery

the problem is that I cannot copy a new recovery to the phone's memory, since Android won't boot, and ADB and fastboot won't work, and it doesn't have a microsd slot
13th January 2014, 03:38 PM   |  #14  
Recognized Contributor
Flag manchester
Thanks Meter: 12,805

3,701 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sepha

the problem is that I cannot copy a new recovery to the phone's memory, since Android won't boot, and ADB and fastboot won't work, and it doesn't have a microsd slot

My much bad. Hope you get it sorted

While iam here thou, have you updated your computers drivers for the n4? Incase that's the reason its not finding your phone.
ⓐⓝⓓⓡⓞⓒⓛⓓⓔ ⓘⓢ ⓝⓞⓣ ⓐ ⓢⓘⓝ
Last edited by plegdroid; 13th January 2014 at 03:42 PM.
13th January 2014, 04:04 PM   |  #15  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 8,186

11,084 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sepha

Try cleaning your USB port on the phone with some alcohol

Sent from my Nexus 5
14th January 2014, 04:42 AM   |  #16  
OP Junior Member

8 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirateghost

Try cleaning your USB port on the phone with some alcohol

Thanks Pirateghost. I tried but it didn't work. I'm more and more convinced there's something wrong with the hardware. Maybe I dropped it one too many times. It was just a strange coincidence and really bad luck that I realized it didn't work just after the problem installing a new ROM.

Anyways, I ordered a replacement for the PCB that holds the microusb connector. Let's hope that works.
16th January 2014, 12:06 PM   |  #17  
OP Junior Member

8 posts
I solved the problem.

I managed to make the phone appear on the computer. There must be something broken in the microusb port in the phone because sometimes when I connect the phone nothing will appear on dmesg (I use Linux), sometimes I get USB errors and after trying a few times I managed to make it work.

I updated the recovery through fastboot and then I was able to successfully install the new ROM from recovery and now everything works alright.

Once the replacement board I ordered arrives I'll try replacing that and see if that fixes the USB connection problems.

Thanks to everybody who helped.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread