Lockdown Pro 2 Brings Material Design and Media Support

Back in March of this year, we took a look at a rather innovated security application … more

Mural Watchface Brings 500px to Android Wear

On a traditional watch, you can’t really do too much to change its appearance once … more

Android 5.0 Favorite Features, Release November 3rd? – XDA TV

Google Confirms Android 5.0 Lollipop for November 3rd! That and much more … more

Prepare Your Build Machines: Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn Now Official

Today is an important day for any and all Linux enthusiasts. One of the … more
Post Reply

KF shuts down when connected to cable

OP lilmonk3

9th January 2014, 08:47 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
47 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2014
I really want to root this dang KF but every time I hook it up to any charger or cable it goes black and shuts down.... I have read all over the net the last few weeks and seems this isnt super common like the charging port problem... It works good when running on the battery. Anyone have any ideas before it gets used for target practice?

Oh and I am not a total newbie, but its been several years since I have been here and made a new user name.
9th January 2014, 11:28 PM   |  #2  
Thepooch's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,059
 
2,465 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmonk3

I really want to root this dang KF but every time I hook it up to any charger or cable it goes black and shuts down.... I have read all over the net the last few weeks and seems this isnt super common like the charging port problem... It works good when running on the battery. Anyone have any ideas before it gets used for target practice?

Oh and I am not a total newbie, but its been several years since I have been here and made a new user name.

First generation kindle fire? Are you using the correct cable? If both of these are true seems you have a kindle with a serious hardware issue. How do you manage to charge it? Best to avoid rooting this one till that issue has been remedied.
9th January 2014, 11:46 PM   |  #3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
47 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepooch

First generation kindle fire? Are you using the correct cable? If both of these are true seems you have a kindle with a serious hardware issue. How do you manage to charge it? Best to avoid rooting this one till that issue has been remedied.


1st gen and Yes I have tried the amazon cable/plug, and many others that I have laying around.. It charges just fine, it just goes black screen when I plug any cable into it via wall or PC. I have done every hard reset I can find on the net... I got this at a friends pawn shop so I am not out much.. I was wanting to root it and give it to the neighbor kid that has downs syndrome.
Last edited by lilmonk3; 9th January 2014 at 11:50 PM.
10th January 2014, 12:14 AM   |  #4  
Thepooch's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,059
 
2,465 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmonk3

1st gen and Yes I have tried the amazon cable/plug, and many others that I have laying around.. It charges just fine, it just goes black screen when I plug any cable into it via wall or PC. I have done every hard reset I can find on the net... I got this at a friends pawn shop so I am not out much.. I was wanting to root it and give it to the neighbor kid that has downs syndrome.

Try this when connected to charger long press power button for 1 min. then let go then press as if to simply power on the device. Sending a bootloader to this Kindle is extremely risky if it powers off during the send the bootloader can be broken. This is the second hardest brick to recover from the first being a dead battery . Chances are this device has been rooted before and that`s why it was pawned look for evidence of being opened maybe someone incorrectly applied the short trick to recover from a hard brick. Which might be the best way to go about rooting it http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1430038 . Are you sure the backlight is not remaining on but just giving the appearance that it is off? The first gen. kindle fire will not charge without a running system.
10th January 2014, 12:22 AM   |  #5  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
47 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepooch

Try this when connected to charger long press power button for 1 min. then let go then press as if to simply power on the device. Sending a bootloader to this Kindle is extremely risky if it powers off during the send the bootloader can be broken. This is the second hardest brick to recover from the first being a dead battery . Chances are this device has been rooted before and that`s why it was pawned look for evidence of being opened maybe someone incorrectly applied the short trick to recover from a hard brick. Which might be the best way to go about rooting it http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1430038 . Are you sure the backlight is not remaining on but just giving the appearance that it is off? The first gen. kindle fire will not charge without a running system.

I am not home right now, but will try your suggestion when I get home. I have never owned a kindle so I am not sure of how the start up progression is.. But when I plug it in the screen seems to go black ( in a dark room) and once I take it off the charger and push power button it brings up the "Kindle Fire" screen and it kind of pulses then goes to the unlock screen.. Its there suppose to be a charging indicator light? I dont see one when I plug it in
10th January 2014, 12:25 AM   |  #6  
Thepooch's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,059
 
2,465 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmonk3

I am not home right now, but will try your suggestion when I get home. I have never owned a kindle so I am not sure of how the start up progression is.. But when I plug it in the screen seems to go black ( in a dark room) and once I take it off the charger and push power button it brings up the "Kindle Fire" screen and it kind of pulses then goes to the unlock screen.. Its there suppose to be a charging indicator light? I dont see one when I plug it in

Yes the led should light green for charged and orange for depleted or charging.
Last edited by Thepooch; 10th January 2014 at 12:35 AM.
10th January 2014, 01:22 AM   |  #7  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
47 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepooch

Yes the led should light green for charged and orange for depleted or charging.

Ok I tried the 1 minute reset deal again, no joy.. I inspected the case and there is zero sings of tampering.. While I was out , I ran by my friends pawn shop and got another kindle charger.. He had another kindle he just gave me in case I needed parts... This new kindle wont boot on Press the power button and nothing shows up .. It shows orange charging light and green power light comes on briefly when power is pushed and then the green light shuts off after 3 seconds.. I am going to read the thread about firekit and shorting info.. Goal is to get the one that actutally boots repaired then might study up on the other one..
16th January 2014, 01:45 PM   |  #8  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
47 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2014
Just an update.. Dumb me , I said it was a 1st but it is indeed a 2nd gen... Sorry all for posting in the wrong forum.. But even with that said, it still shuts off the minute I connect a charging cable LOL.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Kindle Fire Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank